Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
Zeal
Always a Rookie

Wood and weather question

Well as you all know its been a wet, cold winter. Ive been dying to do more plug work however my knowledge about wood itself is not that great. My "shop" basically is a Florida room and pretty much is at the mercy of the elements (only the fact that the room is surrounded by a screen and jallousy windows keeps snow and rain out). So I deal with every breeze, if it's damp out there is condensation, and of course it is either hot or cold depending on the weather outside.

Of course, all the tools are in that room and cannot be operated anywhere else (some are actually bolted down). For working on shaping the wood, cutting it, etc. will this all ruin the integrity before I can even think of sealing it? (No I don't work on wet wood nor have I done it in damp conditions, but I have worked on my failed plugs in the biting cold). Typically after I work on whatever it is, I blow off the wood dust and take it in the warm house to evaluate it and let it sit instead of freezing over outside.

Master's of the Wood enlighten me please!

"Your first word was "Fishing", not "Mom", not "Dad", "FISHING." - Mom

Black, White, Chartreuse/Parrot = the Holy Trinity
Zeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
JFigliuolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeal View Post
Well as you all know its been a wet, cold winter. Ive been dying to do more plug work however my knowledge about wood itself is not that great. My "shop" basically is a Florida room and pretty much is at the mercy of the elements (only the fact that the room is surrounded by a screen and jallousy windows keeps snow and rain out). So I deal with every breeze, if it's damp out there is condensation, and of course it is either hot or cold depending on the weather outside.

Of course, all the tools are in that room and cannot be operated anywhere else (some are actually bolted down). For working on shaping the wood, cutting it, etc. will this all ruin the integrity before I can even think of sealing it? (No I don't work on wet wood nor have I done it in damp conditions, but I have worked on my failed plugs in the biting cold). Typically after I work on whatever it is, I blow off the wood dust and take it in the warm house to evaluate it and let it sit instead of freezing over outside.

Master's of the Wood enlighten me please!
I work in the garage in the winter w/out issue. Keep the wood inside when it's not being worked and your fine.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:24 AM   #3
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

You will be fine. Wood changes moisture content very slowly in air, and any dimensional change that occurs in an object the size of a plug is going to be nearly imperceptible. Your tools will rust, however, if there is condensation on them.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

Keep a close eye on your machines. It sounds like an evironment that will promote rust.
I suggest that you cover your head and tail stocks with an oily rag. Poke it in the taper to keep the rust out. If then tapers become pitted they will not hold.
Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
Zeal
Always a Rookie

Our machinery are covered and underneath the benches we have in there, the tools all are stashed in their own cabinets and such, it was just the matter of the plug that made me wonder

"Your first word was "Fishing", not "Mom", not "Dad", "FISHING." - Mom

Black, White, Chartreuse/Parrot = the Holy Trinity
Zeal is offline   Reply With Quote