Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 05-01-2016, 09:55 AM   #1
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

Setting up my shop

Ok, so I got the shed up. Nice size, 12x16 with the additional wall height. Paint is done. Now it's time for electrical. Does anyone have experience wiring a shop? Should I got with Main Lug or Main Breaker? My understanding is that the main lug is probably fine, but wanted opinions. I will running my lathe, drill press, band saw, shop vac, air conditioner, space heater in the wI nter, lure dryer and lights and some smaller portable tool battery chargers. I'm looking at 100 amp lugs. Thanks

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
N.ShoreFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:20 AM   #2
stripermaineiac

Don't short cut. Not with electrical. Down side is HUGE
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:22 AM   #3
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

Thanks. Definately not planning to short cut in any way. I need to know if main breaker is actually even needed considering the only other difference seems to be that I will have the ability to shut down all power vs individual circuits
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 05-01-2016, 12:22 PM   #4
Slipknot
Super Moderator

If there is to be a sub panel out there because you want more than one circuit, then I would think you will need a main breaker in the panel, otherwise you would be running more than one wire back to your house.
I think it is proper to run one larger wire out. I don't see how you will need more than 50 amps out there unless all your tools are running at once with lights, compressor etc.

wire size has to go by the amperage you choose I know that.

How far from the house is the shed?

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:00 PM   #5
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

It's within a few feet, but where the electrical goes in is probably about 35-40 feet away. It's gonna go under about 5 feet of driveway, and then up and along the side of the house.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:02 PM   #6
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Im not sure on electric needs but at my place I had the electrician look my garage for my set up, he said a 60 amp panel would be plenty.

Like slip said you'll probably only have one or two things running at once

For me it's the lathe and dust collector and once I'm
Done I turn on the fine dust filter mounted on the ceiling while I clean up and sweep.

Sounds like you'll have a sweet set up once it's done
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:17 PM   #7
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

Thanks Chef. Yeah, once I'm home, I'll try to put up pics....I always seem to forget how to post pics on here....lol
Old 05-01-2016, 06:58 PM   #8
stripermaineiac

A couple thing my electrician did here was put all 20 amp outlets in and GFCI breakers as most of the NEC calls for that in all updates and modifications. They don't come cheap. My building inspector lives right up the street an likes to fish so a couple plugs n a beer got me a no nonsence look over. Remember a fire detector not a smoke detector. Ones sealed the other isn't. Plus ABC extinguisher too. That will make your insurance company happy too. Look at those new LED lights. There some sweet and light up a shop like daylight plus use a small amount of elec.
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:06 PM   #9
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Dan, you will have a pretty long run to your panel. I don't think the crawlspace under the great room is accessible and the direct access is under the deck..... Probably run it in conduit under the soffit to the gabled end of the house and then trench directly across from the shed. I have no idea about panels or any electrical advice except to get an electrician. (But it would be easier, a shorter distance, and therefore cheaper if you pulled it from your in-law's panel........)

Nice shed by the way!

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote