Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 07-22-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Found wallet quandary

I found a wallet last Saturday in the men's room (insert jokes here) at the railroad bridge bathroom on the canal. Didn't really look through it until Sunday to find address to send it back to the guy. Brain fart on that one, because if I used my cell phone to dial information I probably could have reached a family member using the guys license information, and arranged to have met up with the person who owned the wallet. Never called information with my cell, so I didn't give it a thought. Went to the post office after work yesterday and I got there to late to buy a box to put it in and/or mail it to Waltham. I was perplexed about how I should go about getting it back to the person to begin with. It has $334.00 in it. I have seen during the course of my job after people bring found wallets in the station when the good samaritans were accused of taking the money, or at least some of the money. And thier good deed basically turned to chit. I probably found the wallet before anyone else touched upon it as I doubt the money would have been still in it. Anyways I found a small box at work, which I placed the wallet inside of, and then placed the small box inside a bubble pack envelope and put the whole thing in the mails this morning. The postal theft problem was my other fear in putting the wallet and money in the mails. I didn't want to get in the middle of anything, but do want the guy to get back his property. And I don't want him to know it was me. I hope I did the right thing with this.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:23 AM   #2
Joe

The mail is safe. I've sent thousands of boxes and virtually nothing is ever lost or tampered with. Diamond merchants use the USPS.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Could have insured it, but yeah, you did the right thing.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
spence

Assuming you didn't mark the package "do not open, cash inside" I doubt you'll have any issue with the USPS. A thief is going to go for the easy pickens, and it's not like they're randomly opening boxes.

I would have probably called the guy and told him to drive down and get it to avoid any risk. Most normal people would be very thankful, as especially considering your occupation I can't fathom how they could accuse you of theft.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
EarnedStripes44

you did good. Far more noble than the average.
EarnedStripes44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
saltfly

you did the right thing.i would have atleast put a return add. on the package that way it wouldn't be "suspicious" at the "to" addresss.Also if it's undeliverable for some reason.
saltfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:17 PM   #7
The Iceman 6
Here fishy fishy

Thumbs up

Swimmer -

Good karma coming you way, may she weigh 50 pounds...
The Iceman 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:17 PM   #8
Nebe

anything you did aside form keeping the $ is the right thing.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:24 PM   #9
fishbones

You definitely did the right thing. I bet most people who found a wallet with that much money in it would have spent quite a bit of time thinking about keeping the cash, and a lot more would have just taken the cash without thinking. I'm sure the guy who you sent it to will be very happy to get it back. I know if I had lost that much dough, I'd be pretty upset. It's nice to know there are still good, honest people like you out there.
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:28 PM   #10
Raven

Thumbs up nice going

i have dropped them in PO boxes before
if they only carried ID's

otherwise i'd do a door to door delivery
if possible...

you did fine....! no worries

he'll be one happy customer...

people don't realize that when the drop their
pants to go potty (lol) their wallets fall out
sometimes
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:24 PM   #11
Bob Thomas
No Shorts On

Send a message via AIM to Bob Thomas
Swimmer.....

Look at it this way. The guy already thinks he's lost the money and all his info. If it makes it to him, he'll be very happy. If not, he'll never know the difference. (I hope I worded that correctly....did not want it to sound callous) You did your good deed....now it's up to the postal carriers etc. to continue (though they'll never know what's inside)

Either way, it was a great deed. Karma will be on your side

Stay safe!!

Bob Thomas
Bob Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:19 PM   #12
Backbeach Jake

Thumbs up

That was your only choice no matter what. You knew it wasn't yours, you knew whose it was. In the mail it goes, doesn't require a phone call, doesn't need a return addy, the Guy Upstairs knows who found it.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:38 PM   #13
BMEUPSCOTTY

what postal theft problem??

Dont worry, you did the right thing.

Last edited by BMEUPSCOTTY; 07-23-2008 at 04:49 AM..
BMEUPSCOTTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:32 PM   #14
fcap60
Frank Capone

Nice work Swimmer. You did the right thing.

My only comment if youreturned to a police dept. I would have asked for a receipt (in writing as to the amount in the wallet).

Nice job.
fcap60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:06 PM   #15
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Thumbs up

Nice.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:14 PM   #16
gone fishin

Swimmer he will be one happy guy when he gets that package. I lost a wallet a year or so ago and it is a horrible chore to replace all the info in ones wallet. He probably has already started the process of canceling and replacing all the stuff. I had a considerable amount of money in the wallet, but would have gladly given all the money up to have the credit cards, health cards, permits and the licenses intact.
If I had found it I would have made an effort to contact him at once. It would have saved a great deal of apprehension on his part. You only can know what a crummy deal it is to loose a wallet unless it happens to you.

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:49 AM   #17
Hooper
Southsider

Nice work Swimmer.
Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:06 AM   #18
spinncognito
Is it May yet?

Good for you and good karma heading your way for sure! Only thing about the lack of return addy is that if the guy moved and did not update his license address then he may never see it which would be a real bummer considering someone (you!) was nice enough to attempt getting it back to him. If it went undeliverable and there is no return addy, what does the USPS do with a package?

"Twitch....Twitch....Twitch....WHAM!"
spinncognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:09 AM   #19
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

He did have a couple of recent documents, fishing license, and so on, that coincided with his driver's license, so I feel pretty good about the address being current that I sent it too.

I wouldn't mind being a fly on the wall and see the smile on his face when he opens the package. That would be cool.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 07-23-2008, 03:27 PM   #20
BMEUPSCOTTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinncognito View Post
Good for you and good karma heading your way for sure! Only thing about the lack of return addy is that if the guy moved and did not update his license address then he may never see it which would be a real bummer considering someone (you!) was nice enough to attempt getting it back to him. If it went undeliverable and there is no return addy, what does the USPS do with a package?
It would go to the "dead letter" office if that's what we still call it and they would open it to see if the contents would give a clue to its destination. Using the name and the former address they would try to locate him at his, er, new location.
BMEUPSCOTTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:00 AM   #21
thortum

Gee. I wish that you would have posted this sooner. I would have given you a $200 reward and taken the wallet and cash off your hands.
thortum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:34 AM   #22
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

I put a block on my phone number and called the guy Saturday. He got the walletin the mail a couple of days earlier. The guy was so thrilled he wanted to send me $500.00 as a reward. I said I returned your wallet with $339.00 and you want to send me $500.00. He was just so thrilled he thought I deserved a reward. Sounded like a peach of a guy. Said he is at the canal all the time. Old guy, single, likes the water, sitting there, and probably checking out the chicks walking by. Anyway he wanted to reward me and I just asked to him send something to the Jimmy Fund and think of me when he did it.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 07-28-2008, 09:50 AM   #23
fishbones

Good for you. I'm glad you were able to know that the guy got it and got to hear how happy you made him. He'll probably think of you next time he does something nice for someone else.
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:07 AM   #24
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hangin free
Swimmer, sounds like you got your reward....

Used hard and put away dirty....
reelecstasy is offline   Reply With Quote