Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
Fly Rod

Illegal is not Illegal

Now that your president is thinking of making illegals legal going through a review and do not have a criminal record will be legal. Susan Church a immigration attorney of Damisse law firm in Boston has stated that illegals are not criminals. I always thought that someone entering the USA illegally is a criminal.

I am so that I need Spence to straighten me out.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
Now that your president is thinking of making illegals legal going through a review and do not have a criminal record will be legal. Susan Church a immigration attorney of Damisse law firm in Boston has stated that illegals are not criminals. I always thought that someone entering the USA illegally is a criminal.

My understanding is that being here illegally, assuming you're not actually caught crossing the border is a civil offense...so you're technically not a criminal.

-spence
Old 08-19-2011, 09:28 PM   #3
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post

Bush wanted to do the same thing. "Expedite the immigration process."

So it looks like *your* president was no better with his approach to illegals.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post

funny, I don't remember Bush circumventing congress and the American people on this issue...I'd call that "better"...

Less than one month ago, Barack Obaama told radical La Raza activists that he would like to change immigration laws but that he did not have that power.

Obama addressed La Raza back on July 25, 2011.

THE PRESIDENT: Now, I swore an oath to uphold the laws on the books, but that doesn't mean I don't know very well the real pain and heartbreak that deportations cause. I share your concerns and I understand them. And I promise you, we are responding to your concerns and working every day to make sure we are enforcing flawed laws in the most humane and best possible way. Now, I know some people want me to bypass Congress and change the laws on my own.

(Applause.)

And believe me, right now dealing with Congress --

AUDIENCE: Yes, you can! Yes, you can! Yes, you can! Yes, you can! Yes, you can!

THE PRESIDENT: Believe me -- believe me, the idea of doing things on my own is very tempting.

(Laughter.)

I promise you. Not just on immigration reform.

(Laughter.)

But that's not how -- that's not how our system works.

AUDIENCE MEMBER: Change it!

But, that was way back in July.

NY TIMES

"The action would also bolster President Obama’s reputation with Latino voters as he heads into the 2012 election.and he sure needs it Just a week ago the leaders of major Hispanic organizations criticized his record, saying in a report that Mr. Obama and Congress had “overpromised and underdelivered” on immigration and other issues of concern to Latino voters, a major force in some swing states." what a coincidence

WASH TIMES
"The move marks a major step for President Obama, who for months has said he does not have broad categorical authority to halt deportations and said he must follow the laws as Congress has written them.but when you are a complete failure and things look bleak you just start granting yourself all sorts of powers I guess, screw laws and congress

But in letters to Congress on Thursday, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said she does have discretion to focus on “priorities” and that her department and the Justice Department will review all ongoing cases to see who meets the new criteria. so laws and congress may be ignored if you determine that you have "discretion"...great precedent

“This case-by-case approach will enhance public safety,” she said. “Immigration judges will be able to more swiftly adjudicate high-priority cases, such as those involving convicted felons.”can we swiftly adjudicate the removal of Janet Napolitano?

The move won immediate praise from Hispanic activists and Democrats who had strenuously argued with the administration that it did have authority to take these actions. there's a surprise

Last edited by scottw; 08-19-2011 at 10:14 PM..
Old 08-20-2011, 03:53 AM   #5
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Scott that was then this is NOW

You ought to know by now this jackass says one thing and changes his mind 4 times cuz he has no plan.

kinda like my wife.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:13 AM   #6
Raven

does that mean your wife is a jackass
from having the prerogative of changing her mind

shes basing her decisions on her current state of emotion
not of logic

and or not on the current state of political affairs
or popular sentiment to maintain a cool factor.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:00 AM   #7
Fly Rod

[QUOTE=So it looks like *your* president was no better with his approach to illegals.[/QUOTE]

I am neither a democrat nor republican. Difinitly an Independant and I have not had a President since George Washington. And I am that we have not had another Great President as him.

He warned of the dangers of a two party system back then, and was in the truest sense of the word, an independent, therefore did not seek re-election.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:48 AM   #8
scottw

Quote:

Quote:
However, instead of taking an objective position, people just want to bitch for the sake of bitching without actually looking at the facts.
what you said

Last edited by scottw; 08-20-2011 at 10:34 AM..
Old 08-20-2011, 07:54 AM   #9
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post

and or not on the current state of political affairs
or popular sentiment to maintain a cool factor.
LOL, yes he always has to take into account the "cool "factor.

" Choose Life "
Old 08-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #10
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
funny, I don't remember Bush circumventing congress and the American people on this issue...
How is he circumventing Congress?

Reading up on this action I'm not sure what all the controversy is about. Basically it's saying that if you had two illegals, say one who's commited a violent crime and another who has a family member serving in our military...the violent offender would get processed for deportation first.

Obama's position doesn't seem to be all that different than Bush 43 (or even Rick Perry FWIW) although he does seem to be doing a better job of enforcing existing laws. I believe that under Obama overall deportation is up 10% and the number of businesses under investigation has increased 4 times from Bush.

-spence
Old 08-20-2011, 03:39 PM   #11
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

Reading up on this action I'm not sure what all the controversy is about. Basically it's saying that if you had two illegals, say one who's commited a violent crime and another who has a family member serving in our military...the violent offender would get processed for deportation first.

Obama's position doesn't seem to be all that different than Bush 43 (or even Rick Perry FWIW) although he does seem to be doing a better job of enforcing existing laws. I believe that under Obama overall deportation is up 10% and the number of businesses under investigation has increased 4 times from Bush.

-spence
I'm certainly not an Obama supporter by any means but Spence here is right.Under what I generally consider the lamest president of all time,deportations are up.

I've been in the construction biz all my adult life and I've never seen people deported until the last year and a half and we're talking about RI,the most illegal friendly state in the Union.The local restaraunt and construction business' took a big hit in 2011.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #12
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

-spence
Obama own words indicate very clearly that he was "tempted" to circumvent congress and now his actions show that has in fact chosen to circumvent congress
Old 08-20-2011, 04:23 PM   #13
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
I'm certainly not an Obama supporter by any means but Spence here is right.Under what I generally consider the lamest president of all time,deportations are up.

do you really trust any numbers coming from the Obama admin???

Washington Post

DHS corrects report that overstated ICE deportations under Obama
By Spencer S. Hsu and N.C. Aizenman
Months after reporting that the number of illegal immigrants removed by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement increased 47 percent during President Obama's first year in office, the Department of Homeland Security on Monday corrected the record, saying the actual increase in those deported and "voluntary departures" was 5 percent.

Washington Post

Unusual methods helped ICE break deportation record

Monday, December 6, 2010; 12:08 AM

For much of this year, the Obama administration touted its tougher-than-ever approach to immigration enforcement, culminating in a record number of deportations.

But in reaching 392,862 deportations, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement included more than 19,000 immigrants who had exited the previous fiscal year, according to agency statistics. ICE also ran a Mexican repatriation program five weeks longer than ever before, allowing the agency to count at least 6,500 exits that, without the program, would normally have been tallied by the U.S. Border Patrol.

When ICE officials realized in the final weeks of the fiscal year, which ended Sept. 30, that the agency still was in jeopardy of falling short of last year's mark, it scrambled to reach the goal. Officials quietly directed immigration officers to bypass backlogged immigration courts and time-consuming deportation hearings whenever possible, internal e-mails and interviews show.

Instead, officials told immigration officers to encourage eligible foreign nationals to accept a quick pass to their countries without a negative mark on their immigration record, ICE employees said.

Number Of Illegal Immigrants Grows In 2010
February 8, 2011

The number of illegal immigrants increased by 100,000 last year, according to estimates from the Pew Hispanic Center.

The data reveals that approximately 11.2 million undocumented immigrants, or 3.7 percent of the nation's overall population, were living in the United States in March 2010, which was up from 11.1 million in 2009.

Last edited by scottw; 08-20-2011 at 08:05 PM..
Old 08-21-2011, 07:32 AM   #14
basswipe

Scott I don't trust anything about the Obama admin especially numbers but I do trust what I see and I saw many a people deported over the last year.That being said the number of illegals coming in is also up which translates to more deportations.

Many deportations are happening because many of these illegals are committing crimes some of which are high profile and put the spotlight on immigration practices within the government forcing it to put on a show and do something about it.That and people like myself who get angry watching our government piss away our tax dollars giving illegals free this and free that.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:44 AM   #15
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
That being said the number of illegals coming in is also up which translates to more deportations.
yup