Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-29-2020, 10:37 AM   #91
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Stephen King is entertaining and well aware that he writes fiction.
Grumps entire career is fiction
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 09-29-2020, 10:43 AM   #92
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Very scary stuff. You write a lot scary stuff. You're like the Stephen King of the forum.
Oh I didn't know that you're a fan, Stephen King has some great thoughts on Tweety

Trump supporters, explain to your children why you are supporting an adulterer, draft dodger, liar, and tax cheat. Bonus point if you avoid telling them the lie that it’s “fake news.”

Trump supporters don't believe the info about Trump's tax cheating is important, even if true. Assure them that it is true and it matters a great deal. He's a HUGE national security risk.

Trump supporters don't wear masks because it's their way of saying "I'm with stupid."

200,000 dead from COVID-19. At least 145,000 of those deaths could have been prevented if President Trump had taken decisive action. He did not, and because he did not, he does not deserve a second term.

America is suffering fires, floods and plague. If this had happened under Obama, the fundamentalists and righties would be screaming END TIMES!

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-29-2020, 12:14 PM   #93
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post

No one will touch him financially,

he'll have no one to bail him out.

Not even a line of credit to tide things over.

He'll end up personally bankrupt.

He'll wind up a criminal defendant,

He's done.

Not just politically, but financially and legally.
I can hear pete banging his head against the wall from here...
Old 09-29-2020, 12:15 PM   #94
scottw

Quote:

the fundamentalists and righties would be screaming END TIMES!

if end times means you can't post anymore it might sound pretty attractive
Old 09-29-2020, 12:24 PM   #95
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
if end times means I can't post stupid comments anymore it might sound pretty attractive
Fixed it for you

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-29-2020, 12:24 PM   #96
Jim in CT

Quote:

Trump supporters don't believe the info about Trump's tax cheating is important!
you have evidence that he owed more than he paid?
Old 09-29-2020, 12:30 PM   #97
Jim in CT

Quote:

Trump supporters, explain to your children why you are supporting an adulterer, draft dodger, liar, and tax cheat.
From the side that worships Bill Clinton to this day. Want to explain how you can idolize Bill Clinton but say that Trump isn't decent enough? When lawyers decide you're too sleazy to be one of them, you're a scumbag.

Here's what I tell my 14 year-old, it's the truth, and it suffices. I'm not voting for him to be a hero or a role model or anyone's idea of what a good person should be. I'm voting for whoever will do a better job protecting the unborn, growing the economy, going after terrorists, advocating for law and order, limiting federal power to what the constitution enumerates.

Those are my priorities. Who should I vote for?
Old 09-29-2020, 12:30 PM   #98
Jim in CT

Quote:
Fixed it for you
Ha ha ha, good one, my stomach hurt from laughing.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:49 PM   #99
detbuch

Quote:
Oh I didn't know that you're a fan, Stephen King has some great thoughts on Tweety

I'm not a fan of Stephen King, nor of most political opinions by Progressives or leftists of other stripes.

Trump supporters, explain to your children why you are supporting an adulterer, draft dodger, liar, and tax cheat. Bonus point if you avoid telling them the lie that it’s “fake news.”

Well, children, most of those accusations are either unproven or exagerations. And his opponent is no white lily of morality or honesty and supports a political agenda that will shrink your economic opportunities and weaken or remove many of your constitutional unalienable rights--all while enriching himself and his family by leveraging his political power.

Trump supporters don't believe the info about Trump's tax cheating is important, even if true. Assure them that it is true and it matters a great deal. He's a HUGE national security risk.

Actually, children, His four years in office have not shown him to be a national security risk. If anything, he has strengthened national security. Tax avoidance is not tax cheating. It is very legitimate, encouraged by the IRS, and practiced by most Americans.

Trump supporters don't wear masks because it's their way of saying "I'm with stupid."

This, my children, is an obvious lie, Pete is not really on your side. He has what is called an "agenda." That is far more important to him than guiding you with useful and honest information.

200,000 dead from COVID-19. At least 145,000 of those deaths could have been prevented if President Trump had taken decisive action. He did not, and because he did not, he does not deserve a second term.

Children, these are made up "statistics" which ignore how Trump did what the experts asked. And they imply that the President of the U.S. Has far more responsibility than the Constitution gives him. In his views of presidential and federal government powers, Pete is what they call a Progressive. Progressives don't like the Constitution. They have been trying for a long time to get rid of it, and replace your unalienable rights which it protects and replace them with the limited rights that government will grant to you.

America is suffering fires, floods and plague. If this had happened under Obama, the fundamentalists and righties would be screaming END TIMES!
Children, Pete tends to go off on conjectural fantasies that somehow are supposed to prove that Trump is an evil traitor.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:04 PM   #100
Pete F.
Canceled

Tax is the least of it. The article offers direct evidence of Trump’s impending financial liability to unknown lenders, and of pervasive conflicts of interest as president, that are of grave national security concern.

The consulting fees that Trump’s various foreign businesses paid to Ivanka Trump and others look potentially fraudulent. The Times article cites 20 percent consulting fees that foreign Trump businesses regularly deducted by reason of paying them to unnamed consultants. Some of these fees pertained to activities in which Trump’s role as an investor was ostensibly entirely passive, meaning that he wasn’t engaged in making any of the business decisions. Consulting fees also appear to have been paid to family members such as Ivanka Trump. She got consulting fees with respect to businesses for which she simultaneously worked as an executive, and thus as an employee.

Based on what the article says, several different types of fraud may have been involved here. Fees paid to family members who did not provide services in return would be improper deductions. Fees paid to “consultants” who were employees might be properly deductible by the business – as salary – but would potentially trigger 3.8 percent payroll tax liability by the recipient under the so-called Medicare payroll tax. Fees that were actually gifts to family members were not properly deductible, and also may have generated gift tax liability on Trump’s part that the mislabeling helped to conceal.
There is an old saying that one can never detect tax fraud purely on the face of a tax return – but this comes closer than usual. – Even wholly fraudulent tax returns generally do not proclaim their fraudulence on their face. The Trump returns presumably are no exception, and much of the evidence suggesting possible fraudulence was developed in the Times article through the use of other sources. Nonetheless, with that aid, the Times article makes a powerful initial case, clearly meriting investigation, that substantial tax fraud may have occurred.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:13 PM   #101
spence

Quote:
Tax is the least of it. The article offers direct evidence of Trump’s impending financial liability to unknown lenders, and of pervasive conflicts of interest as president, that are of grave national security concern.
You mean 400 million+ in PERSONAL liability is a cause for concern? Something I haven't seen reported, isn't this supposed to be listed on Trump's yearly financial disclosure form?
Old 09-29-2020, 01:18 PM   #102
detbuch

Quote:

The consulting fees that Trump’s various foreign businesses paid to Ivanka Trump and others look potentially fraudulent. The Times article cites 20 percent consulting fees that foreign Trump businesses regularly deducted by reason of paying them to unnamed consultants. Some of these fees pertained to activities in which Trump’s role as an investor was ostensibly entirely passive, meaning that he wasn’t engaged in making any of the business decisions. Consulting fees also appear to have been paid to family members such as Ivanka Trump. She got consulting fees with respect to businesses for which she simultaneously worked as an executive, and thus as an employee.

Based on what the article says, several different types of fraud may have been involved here. Fees paid to family members who did not provide services in return would be improper deductions. Fees paid to “consultants” who were employees might be properly deductible by the business – as salary – but would potentially trigger 3.8 percent payroll tax liability by the recipient under the so-called Medicare payroll tax. Fees that were actually gifts to family members were not properly deductible, and also may have generated gift tax liability on Trump’s part that the mislabeling helped to conceal.
There is an old saying that one can never detect tax fraud purely on the face of a tax return – but this comes closer than usual. – Even wholly fraudulent tax returns generally do not proclaim their fraudulence on their face. The Trump returns presumably are no exception, and much of the evidence suggesting possible fraudulence was developed in the Times article through the use of other sources. Nonetheless, with that aid, the Times article makes a powerful initial case, clearly meriting investigation, that substantial tax fraud may have occurred.
It is amazing how you are able to transform "may have" into what seems like certainty.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:29 PM   #103
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
It is amazing how you are able to transform "may have" into what seems like certainty.
There’s a reason Tweety has to hide his returns, it would be so easy to just release them and disprove all the claims. But he can’t because he is a conman. His main con is to present himself as a winner. “I am a successful businessman,” is one of his most successful lies, and it is upon that lie that he built his political career. In fact—as has been widely reported—he declared bankruptcy multiple times, and squandered the fortune his father built through bad business ventures. Now, thanks to new reporting from the Times, we have even greater insight into how his finances are under stress.

It’s also been widely reported that Trump got where he is by cheating, but his supporters either don’t care or don’t read or believe the reports that document Trump’s misdeeds. Trump’s fans think he is a winner because he accumulated wealth (and it doesn’t matter how), he fights with their enemies (liberals, the “elites,” Democrats, and immigrants they perceive are stealing their jobs), and he breaks rules. Anti-democratic movements are generally marked by cynicism and the belief that everyone lies and cheats, so the winner is the one who is best at cheating.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-29-2020, 01:37 PM   #104
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
From the side that worships Bill Clinton to this day. Want to explain how you can idolize Bill Clinton but say that Trump isn't decent enough? When lawyers decide you're too sleazy to be one of them, you're a scumbag.

Here's what I tell my 14 year-old, it's the truth, and it suffices. I'm not voting for him to be a hero or a role model or anyone's idea of what a good person should be. I'm voting for whoever will do a better job protecting the unborn, growing the economy, going after terrorists, advocating for law and order, limiting federal power to what the constitution enumerates.

Those are my priorities. Who should I vote for?
That was the liberal argument for ignoring Bill Clinton's character - that he's doing things liberals want done - and conservatives at the time ridiculed it as a sign of a bankrupt party selling its soul. I guess the GOP was right all along about the price of selling out.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-29-2020, 02:06 PM   #105
Jim in CT

Quote:
That was the liberal argument for ignoring Bill Clinton's character - that he's doing things liberals want done - and conservatives at the time ridiculed it as a sign of a bankrupt party selling its soul. I guess the GOP was right all along about the price of selling out.
SO you're also saying that liberals flip-flopped. With Bill Clinton, they said ignore character and only pay attention to results. Right?

I accepted that argument, as I said then, and still say today, that Clinton was a scumbag who happened to be a good president.

I'm sorry Pete, if you idolize Bill CLinton, you can't lecture anyone else on the importance of character. That's the definition of wanting to have it both ways (as many republicans also want).

Amazing you point put the republican hypocrisy, and not a syllable about democrat hypocrisy on the same exact issue. You probably can't even see the democrat hypocrisy.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:37 PM   #106
Pete F.
Canceled

You have once again claimed the ability to read minds and determine opinions.
And then rationalized the comparison of Clinton’s BJ with the actions of the current occupant of the White House.
Good luck with that

And think about this

Seven members of George W. Bush’s cabinet have endorsed Biden.

So have more than 70 former Republican national security officials.

So have seven former GOP governors, four former GOP senators, and more than two dozen former GOP House members.

Last edited by Pete F.; 09-29-2020 at 02:51 PM..
Old 09-29-2020, 03:29 PM   #107
Jim in CT

Quote:
You have once again claimed the ability to read minds and determine opinions.
And then rationalized the comparison of Clinton’s BJ with the actions of the current occupant of the White House.
Good luck with that

And think about this

Seven members of George W. Bush’s cabinet have endorsed Biden.

So have more than 70 former Republican national security officials.

So have seven former GOP governors, four former GOP senators, and more than two dozen former GOP House members.

SO let's recap Pete.

When Bill Clinton was POTUS, the democrats said his ethics didn't matter, what mattered were his results. The Republicans attacked his character.

Today, the democrats attack Trumps character, and the Republicans now say that character doesn't matter but results do.

Try to follow along here, this is where you have trouble keeping up...

BOTH SIDES are saying the opposite of what they said before (just like they flip flopped on the supreme court nominations in election years). Even according to your own post, BOTH SIDES are flip-flopping, saying whatever suits them based on whoever is in power at that time.

I can call out the hypocrisy on both sides. To deny that, would be to deny reality.

You, as always, go the "deny reality" route.

Not just Clintons affair. But the emphatic way he lied to us about it, which takes a special kind of scumbag to do with a straight face (Trump could easily pull it off). And the way he used his wife to claim the GOP was framing him, and the way she attacked his victims on national TV.

You want to split hairs, fine. Between the two of us, I am the one who can admit hypocrisy on my side. I've never seen you do it. I don't think you can.

Here, let's try. When Bush was POTUS, Biden said no SC nominations should be made in an election year, and that if a president made a nomination, the senate should refuse to vote. That's exactly what the GOP did in 2016, but Biden had flip-flopped 180 degrees, and was no saying the president could make a nomination, and that the senate had a duty to vote.

You tell me if that's consistent logic, or if its naked hypocrisy.

Were all ears, buddy.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:07 PM   #108
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Recap Bill balanced our budget and Trump has put our country into debt and the economy in ruin, does that basically sum it up?
Old 09-29-2020, 04:19 PM   #109
detbuch

Quote:
There’s a reason Tweety has to hide his returns, it would be so easy to just release them and disprove all the claims. But he can’t because he is a conman. His main con is to present himself as a winner. “I am a successful businessman,” is one of his most successful lies, and it is upon that lie that he built his political career. In fact—as has been widely reported—he declared bankruptcy multiple times, and squandered the fortune his father built through bad business ventures. Now, thanks to new reporting from the Times, we have even greater insight into how his finances are under stress.

It’s also been widely reported that Trump got where he is by cheating, but his supporters either don’t care or don’t read or believe the reports that document Trump’s misdeeds. Trump’s fans think he is a winner because he accumulated wealth (and it doesn’t matter how), he fights with their enemies (liberals, the “elites,” Democrats, and immigrants they perceive are stealing their jobs), and he breaks rules. Anti-democratic movements are generally marked by cynicism and the belief that everyone lies and cheats, so the winner is the one who is best at cheating.
This all sounds very familiar. Old news?
Old 09-29-2020, 04:40 PM   #110
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Recap Bill balanced our budget and Trump has put our country into debt and the economy in ruin, does that basically sum it up?
No it doesn't. The congressional "budget" and the national debt are two different things. Congress, during Clinton's tenure, added to the national debt. The Congresses following Clinton to now added progressively larger amounts to the national debt. So Congress, not Trump, has put our country into debt.

And I'll give the Congress a break on the economy supposedly being in ruin. The worldwide economic destruction caused by the covid pandemic is responsible for that. Although the large stimulus that Congress passed sure did add a lot to the debt, but possibly kept the economy from being totally destroyed.

Congress, not the President is responsible for the budget. And Congress has not passed an annual budget since 2008, but has just passed continuing resolutions.

According to CSN news, "Many leading Democrats in Washington these days like to point to the fact that the federal budget was balanced for part of the time that President Bill Clinton was in office. What they do not mention is that those balanced budgets occurred only when Republicans controlled both houses of Congress. [ergo, in fact, the Republicans were responsible for the balanced budgets, Clinton merely signed them.]

In fact, according to the historical data published by the Office of Management and Budget in the Obama White House, no Congress in which the Democrats controlled both the House and Senate has balanced the federal budget since fiscal 1969--more than 40 [now 50] years ago."

Last edited by detbuch; 09-29-2020 at 05:00 PM..
Old 09-29-2020, 04:55 PM   #111
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
as i said, i think clinton was a good president! also a scumbag. but all the democrats said his character didn’t matter. i thought they made a good point. i still think they had a good point.

i give trump poor grades in debt. funny that if all the metrics you can use to judge a president’s economic performance, you chose the one he gets a bad grade on. if you look at his entire economic record, before covid, it was very good. cherry pick all you want.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:03 PM   #112
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
as i said, i think clinton was a good president! also a scumbag. but all the democrats said his character didn’t matter. i thought they made a good point. i still think they had a good point.

i give trump poor grades in debt. funny that if all the metrics you can use to judge a president’s economic performance, you chose the one he gets a bad grade on. if you look at his entire economic record, before covid, it was very good. cherry pick all you want.
What did Trump, or Clinton, do to the debt?
Old 09-29-2020, 07:01 PM   #113
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
This all sounds very familiar. Old news?
Nothing new about Trump, he’s been running a con his whole life

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-29-2020, 08:56 PM   #114
detbuch

Quote:
Nothing new about Trump, he’s been running a con his whole life
That's an old talking point. BTW, Biden has been conning us for over 40 years. But's that's old news too. It's just not talked about as much by his friendly media cons. Come to think of it, you're a pretty consistent con yourself.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:44 PM   #115
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
That's an old talking point. BTW, Biden has been conning us for over 40 years. But's that's old news too. It's just not talked about as much by his friendly media cons. Come to think of it, you're a pretty consistent con yourself.
It’s been true since Trump appeared in the media, so sure it’s old news.
Con man forever

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-30-2020, 01:32 AM   #116
detbuch

Quote:
It’s been true since Trump appeared in the media, so sure it’s old news.
Con man forever
It truly is a talking point. And its true that Biden cons a lot. As do you.