Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-02-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

September unemployment-

Up to 9.8% with 50,000 more jobs lost than in August.

Seriously, where are these shovel ready jobs the Stimulus was supposed to provide?

A lot of people really hurting.

" Choose Life "
Old 10-03-2009, 04:50 AM   #2
spence

It's bad for sure, but I'd note that most experts as far back as this spring (and even accounting for stimulus spending) have been consistent in stating that unemployment would continue to rise into 2010.

-spence
Old 10-03-2009, 08:15 AM   #3
buckman

It is the last to improve in most down turns.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:41 AM   #4
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
It's bad for sure, but I'd note that most experts as far back as this spring (and even accounting for stimulus spending) have been consistent in stating that unemployment would continue to rise into 2010.

-spence
Sure, but doesn't "shovel ready" mean that it shouldn't take a year for these jobs to be available?

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 10-03-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
buckman

You can't take what Obama says literally. Besides He has saved millions of jobs. And added 8000 gov. jobs for the "cash for clunkes" progam alone. He trying the best he can
Old 10-03-2009, 09:13 AM   #6
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Sure, but doesn't "shovel ready" mean that it shouldn't take a year for these jobs to be available?
I'm sure some of the stimulus money has created jobs. How many might be difficult to tell, but I don't think the expectation was that the stimulus bill would magically fix the unemployment problem.

I think it's fair to say it hasn't met initial expectations. I think only 15% of the money has even been appropriated.

-spence
Old 10-03-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

The numbers are flawed,,, most that have been filing have run out of benefits,,, It is getting worse no matter what they say,,,,
Old 10-03-2009, 09:52 AM   #8
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by GattaFish View Post
The numbers are flawed,,, most that have been filing have run out of benefits,,, It is getting worse no matter what they say,,,,
There really are two issues here, jobs and the overall economy.

Aside from a good number of banking issues that still haven't been fixed, the economy seems to be improving and many economists believe that the Stimulus package did help avert an even deeper recession.

The job issue is going to take years to fix. God forbid but people are actually saving money now instead of spending it on crap they don't need.

Hopefully we can see some real growth and not double dip.

-spence
Old 10-03-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
striperman36
Old Guy

quite a few acquaintances are at the end of their unemployment benefits. I also have had several fall off of Cobra.
Most jobs available are hourly and companies are stickin to under 30 hours a week so they won't have to pay benefits, if and when you can find employment outside of your field.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:10 AM   #10
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
quite a few acquaintances are at the end of their unemployment benefits. I also have had several fall off of Cobra.
The Cobra thing has got to hurt. Imagine not getting a paycheck and forking out 700+ per month to keep your insurance.

I knew a woman once who got notice when pregnant!

-spence
Old 10-03-2009, 10:13 AM   #11
striperman36
Old Guy

1250 for family in MA
Old 10-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #12
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
1250 for family in MA
Yes, this was some time ago...That's a mortgage payment for some people.

-spence
Old 10-03-2009, 11:00 AM   #13
Fly Rod

Sorry, I can not believe the economy is getting better, not with unemployment growing.

As economy gets better companies would be hiring unemployment would go down.

I do not see this happening.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:38 AM   #14
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
There's a big lag.

Companies are able to sell from existing inventory (or product ideas) and have streamlined their processes to do more with less. Others have simple gone away.

Jobs require real growth, and the confidence that the growth is going to be sustained. Right now most companies are just starting to climb out of the fox hole.

-spence
Old 10-03-2009, 11:31 PM   #15
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
Sorry, I can not believe the economy is getting better, not with unemployment growing.

I do not see this happening.
My thoughts on jobs and business spending.

Companies are buckling down. Sales may have moderately increased and expenses have been reduced as much as possible. Companies are possibly getting back into the black and as such, are preventing any increase of expenses to appease shareholders.

It's October and all big companies have already positioned themselves for their end-of-year reports. Retailers are seeing more traffic, but consumer spending is still low.

I predict that job growth will continue to slightly decrease and maybe flat-line in December as companies try to squeeze out every possible expense leading up to the end of the year to show them in the healthiest possible situation leading into 2010.

I'd guess starting in Jan-Feb job growth will start to increase.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:00 AM   #16
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I predict that job growth will continue to slightly decrease and maybe flat-line in December as companies try to squeeze out every possible expense leading up to the end of the year to show them in the healthiest possible situation leading into 2010.
Most scenarios I've seen look like the unemployment rate will continue to increase well into 2010.

-spence
Old 10-04-2009, 08:51 AM   #17
Duke41
got gas?

We just have to hang in there guys. I have seen my income drop around 40% over the last 2 years. I have not been this broke since college. However I am seeing more activity in renting folks office space and retail space in some properties I own. What I am seeing is more folks taking things into their own hands and starting their own businesses. There is a lot of grant money around to do so. Check with you city planner. Attleboro has been giving out small business grants for resteraunts and other things. This is federal money, so I have to assume other towns and cities must have programs as well.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:09 AM   #18
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Most scenarios I've seen look like the unemployment rate will continue to increase well into 2010.

-spence
Probably. I haven't read much in the way of reports on the future predictions for unemployment. The above is just an uneducated guess. Take the timeline out, and I think the circumstances hold with regards to companies buckling down until the end of the year to hold their "we're recovering" numbers.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #19
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Its over 10% but the government does not want to say its over 10% for fear of a panic!!! You watch next month they say its either still at 9.8% or it has dropped a couple tenths!!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
Old 10-05-2009, 08:06 AM   #20
Joe

Add about 3% to cover the people who've given up and moved to Camp Runamuck or are living in a van down by the river.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #21
striperman36
Old Guy

plus the return to schoolie's
Old 10-10-2009, 07:05 PM   #22
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Add about 3% to cover the people who've given up and moved to Camp Runamuck or are living in a van down by the river.
Also another 4% for those who have had to take part time jobs.

17% is a lot of unemployment.

" Choose Life "