Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-20-2010, 05:37 PM   #31
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
If Obama had served in the Marines, would that change anyone's opinion of him?
Hell yes!

But he didn't.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:23 PM   #32
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl F View Post
if he don't deliver, they will throw him in the back of that truck in 2 years, and haul him off...

Karl it's got 201,000 on it, think he'll be able to nurse it for another 2 years?

" Choose Life "
Old 01-20-2010, 08:32 PM   #33
Karl F

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Karl it's got 201,000 on it, think he'll be able to nurse it for another 2 years?
That Truck will be parked for the next two years..and is prolly already in the garage, being gone thru...the Carhart will be dry cleaned and shrink wrapped...neither one will be seen until the ..
"re-election" commercials come out in another 18 months..
Old 01-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #34
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Cool

Ya, it ain't a Ford.

" Choose Life "
Old 01-21-2010, 05:37 PM   #35
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNG View Post
Thats Lt Colonel Scott Brown, Senator from Massachusetts
I know, my comment was a snark against O. Unfortunatley, I believe he has to resign his commision to serve in the Senate. Not sure on that though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I fail to see the correlation between military experience and qualifications for public office. Joining the military is one of the most honorable things a person can do, but I don't think it necessarily qualifies them as a better candidate than someone else.

If Obama had served in the Marines, would that change anyone's opinion of him?
I would have had a significantly more favorable rating had he been a Marine LT, Captain, or Grunt - even a zoomie - might have voted for him had he accumulated that kind of experience.

For me, Military Experience / Service - even a LTC in the Guard (JAG experience not included) is worth 33% of a yeh and the lack there of almost guarantees a neh for me when it comes to The Office of the President for me. To lead people in life or death situations, even deadly training for the possibility of that, makes someone significantly more capable of making those hard decisions if need be. To understand what the ramifications truly are when you make a decision as president, or to yeh or nay an appropriations bill concerning the military is a tremendous plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Leadership.
Bingo, duck falls from the ceiling.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 01-22-2010, 08:10 AM   #36
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl F View Post
the carhart jacket, and the pickup... man what a gimmick...it worked..
but he better remember the folks that actually wear that jacket, and drive them trucks...they usually stay home in droves...but will come out and vote when peesed off...
if he don't deliver, they will throw him in the back of that truck in 2 years, and haul him off...

the fact he is a NRA and GOAL member, with the fear factor of loss of gun rights helped him immensely...but the press don't give that any play at all...
Well he certainly did fleece them.
Since he helped write the MA healthcare reform bill.
But remember! He wears carharts and drives a pickup!

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 01-22-2010, 09:10 AM   #37
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
Well he certainly did fleece them.
Since he helped write the MA healthcare reform bill.
But remember! He wears carharts and drives a pickup!
But but but...
he's going to be the one to kill health care....

The reception yesterday was a bit much, don't you think?

I can't wait for the far right guys to figure out that he isn't as Conservative as they like. I hope for his sake he sticks to his guns about working across party lines and such and go with his stances, not the party line. He would gain a lot of respect from me if he does. Even if you disagree with politics, if they are consistent and logical about it, that earns my nod. Sell outs suck on both sides.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 01-22-2010, 09:22 AM   #38
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
But but but...
he's going to be the one to kill health care....

The reception yesterday was a bit much, don't you think?

I can't wait for the far right guys to figure out that he isn't as Conservative as they like. I hope for his sake he sticks to his guns about working across party lines and such and go with his stances, not the party line. He would gain a lot of respect from me if he does. Even if you disagree with politics, if they are consistent and logical about it, that earns my nod. Sell outs suck on both sides.
it wasnt the far right guys that voted him into office. It was the independents. I said a month or so ago, if you look at Brown's stance on the key issues, they are in line with most MA voters. He is no radical, and people want common sense to rule. For ex - It defies common sense to throw hundreds of billions of dollars at a problem affecting the few at a time when the deficit is larger than ever and we have major unemployment in the country. Common sense.

I do find it humorous you will look for brown for keep his promise on working across party lines yet you give a free pass to Obama? That was one of the keystones of his campaign, along with a new washington and transparency, all of whihc he has failed to dleiver on or even acknowledge.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 01-22-2010, 09:36 AM   #39
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
it wasnt the far right guys that voted him into office. It was the independents. I said a month or so ago, if you look at Brown's stance on the key issues, they are in line with most MA voters. He is no radical, and people want common sense to rule. For ex - It defies common sense to throw hundreds of billions of dollars at a problem affecting the few at a time when the deficit is larger than ever and we have major unemployment in the country. Common sense.

I do find it humorous you will look for brown for keep his promise on working across party lines yet you give a free pass to Obama? That was one of the keystones of his campaign, along with a new Washington and transparency, all of which he has failed to deliver on or even acknowledge.
I am well aware that it was the middle of the pack guys in Mass that voted him in. I want to see if he stays that way in DC!! I was referring to the farther right in his own party.

I have not given Obama a 'free pass' and a few threads back said I was glad this killed the HC bill.. this was not the format we need right now. I do think the bi-partisan stuff is on both sides, and is not just limited to the White House right now. We need more 'purple' and less red and blue from both sides! I look for this to be the kick in the ass to become more populist and less far left!

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 01-22-2010, 09:42 AM   #40
scottw

Quote:
But but but...
he's going to be the one to kill health care.... Lets' hope so

The reception yesterday was a bit much, don't you think?after Obama, nothing is a bit much

..so..let's see....during the campaign he was a far right wing radical tea bagger funded by the same radical groups that supported Sarah Palin and in lock step with the evil conservatives...but now....he's not a conservative, probably not even a republican, needs to be a centrist and work with maybe even acquiesce to the will of the dems so we can all live happily ever after???...are you fing kidding me???
Old 01-22-2010, 09:47 AM   #41
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Did you ever see ME not Kieth Oldberman etc, Good old RIRock, say he was a right wing radical?
I know full well what Scott Brown is. I question whether he continues to be this right of center republican, when the party line seems to be much further to the right (but still left of Scottw and detbush )

Yes, if he does stick to his ideals, and is willing to work across party lines NOT acquiesce, but actually do what he thinks is right, then yes, it will be beter for all of us. We need MORE of that on both sides. This overly divided house and senate is not good for any of us. You have the republicans with their hands over there ears singing -la-la-la-can't hear you-la-la-la to everything, and the Democrats are saying "I'm going to take my toys, and your toys and do what I want with them". neither is good for the country.

Bryan

Old 01-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #42
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

understood, thanks for clarifying

Old 01-22-2010, 10:33 AM   #43
scottw

Quote:
Did you ever see ME not Kieth Oldberman etc, Good old RIRock, say he was a right wing radical?
I know full well what Scott Brown is. I question whether he continues to be this right of center republican, when the party line seems to be much further to the right (but still left of Scottw and detbush )

Yes, if he does stick to his ideals, and is willing to work across party lines NOT acquiesce, but actually do what he thinks is right, then yes, it will be beter for all of us. We need MORE of that on both sides. This overly divided house and senate is not good for any of us. You have the republicans with their hands over there ears singing -la-la-la-can't hear you-la-la-la to everything, and the Democrats are saying "I'm going to take my toys, and your toys and do what I want with them". neither is good for the country.
I'm comparing how he was portrayed during the campaign(did you miss all of the ads???) to all of the whining and hoping and revisionism that now exists here and among the press and talking heads that he now prove that he is not any of what he supposedly was and not become a tool of the radical right wingers... which is pretty funny and predictable...Al Franken was also seated recently and I don't remember any calls for Al to be bi-partisan, reach across the aisle and be more of a centrist and not just fall in "lock step" with the dem leadership which is the ONLY DEMONSTRABLE RADICALISM THAT YOU CAN POINT TO AT THE MOMENT!!!!!

you have a party engaged in the destruction and take over of the private sector, a president that has determined that the result of the recent election is simply a function of the fact that he didn't talk enough and Americans didn't understand him so today he's out talking...again......JUST WORDS!!!! Mr. President

more bi-partisanship, as the dems would define it would be the republicans helping to move their insane agenda along.....F them!

but let's hope that Scott Brown is a good little centrist and on and on...gimme a break...

hey Rock...just for fun...name an issue where my views would be considered far right wing......

I'll help you with the biggies, if you believe recent polls my views are in line with the majority of Americans regarding..size and scope of government, taxes, business regulation, abortion, global warming/climate change, healthcare, immigration...according to the polls this is still a center-right country...I must be a real freakin' radical teabagger...

now compare that to someone that wants ever larger and more intrusive government, universal healthcare, global warming/climate change legislation, publically funded abortions, greater government regulation and taxation on businesses...amnesty and open borders...I think this describes many dems and most of the representatives that they've elected based on what we are witnessing...

Last edited by scottw; 01-22-2010 at 11:00 AM..
Old 01-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #44
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I'll help you with the biggies, if you believe recent polls my views are in line with the majority of Americans regarding..size and scope of government, taxes, business regulation, abortion, global warming/climate change, healthcare, immigration...according to the polls this is still a center-right country...I must be a real freakin' radical teabagger...
I would bet I could find polls that put the majority with me as well.
polls are like our opinions, we all have one, and everyone else thinks theirs doesn't stink.

You really believe you are the dead center bellwether for Americans?
I know I'm left of it, but come on...

Bryan

Old 01-22-2010, 11:43 AM   #45
scottw

Quote:
I would bet I could find polls that put the majority with me as well.Please, I'm waiting
polls are like our opinions, we all have one, and everyone else thinks theirs doesn't stink.

You really believe you are the dead center bellwether for Americans?
I know I'm left of it, but come on...
I didn't say I was dead center...
oh...almost forgot...I'm also with the majority of Americans regarding Obama's job approval as of the most recent poll

and I agree with 77% of investors(and Warren Buffett apparently) that Obama is anti-business...which shoud bode well for the economy and job creation...but surely those milions and millions of "GREEN JOBS" will fill the void and solve all of our problems

Last edited by scottw; 01-23-2010 at 07:28 AM..
Old 02-01-2011, 03:08 PM   #46
likwid
lobster = striper bait

So a year later.

Has he lived up to his killing of Obamacare?
What about his leadership?
Getting on those tough issues?
Driving the pickup truck?

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 02-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #47
Piscator

Quote:
So a year later.

Has he lived up to his killing of Obamacare? Well, the people spoke and he was voted in to kill it, Obama and the Dems didn't listen to the people and passed Health Care by "Reconciliation" (which was truly meant for taxation and spending). It is a way to get around the required 60 votes necessary. It 100% BS and the administration that did this should be ashamed of themselves. This wasn't designed for the use they used it for. Shame on them.

What about his leadership? He is not a right wing republican and hasn't been the poster child for his party as he will cross party lines. This isn't a bad thing and I think he should get credit for doing that. As for leadership, a year is a very short time but I think he has held his own and has done well. So far he has done what he said he would do by being an independent thinker and voter. I would say this is true for most 1st year Senators in the minority party.

Getting on those tough issues? Which ones specifically? He got on Healthcare, Gays in the Military, and Spending/Deficit. Nothing earth shattering but he has his stance and working well to execute it.

Driving the pick up truck? Yes, and some people are all over him because they say it's a gas guzzler.

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 02-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #48
buckman

Quote:
So a year later.

Why don't you do Obama's 2 year review?
Old 02-01-2011, 07:07 PM   #49
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Why don't you do Obama's 2 year review?
Why would I?
I never claimed he was going to change anything or any of the other BS posted between this thread and multiple others.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 02-01-2011, 09:11 PM   #50
Piscator

Quote:
Why would I?
I never claimed he was going to change anything or any of the other BS posted between this thread and multiple others.
Obama's changed things, just not the things people wanted him to change.

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 02-01-2011, 09:17 PM   #51
fishbones

Quote:
So a year later.

You really are a buffoon, huh? Do you read about anything other than what Barney Frank is doing?

It takes about 2 seconds to make you look like an idiot whenever you decide to come in the political forum with your embarrassing lack of knowledge.

Scott Brown outlines proposals to grow jobs in Bay State - BostonHerald.com

Sen. Scott Brown targets health care tax provisions - BostonHerald.com

Scott Brown, John Kerry take aim at corporate income tax - BostonHerald.com

Oh, by the way, he's also voted on about 120 issues and has had only 1 "No Vote".

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 02-01-2011, 11:01 PM   #52
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
You really are a buffoon, huh? Do you read about anything other than what Barney Frank is doing?

It takes about 2 seconds to make you look like an idiot whenever you decide to come in the political forum with your embarrassing lack of knowledge.

Scott Brown outlines proposals to grow jobs in Bay State - BostonHerald.com

Sen. Scott Brown targets health care tax provisions - BostonHerald.com

Scott Brown, John Kerry take aim at corporate income tax - BostonHerald.com

Oh, by the way, he's also voted on about 120 issues and has had only 1 "No Vote".
Oh, you mean 'shovel ready job' voting?
Along with promising to cut gov spending yet pushing for the F-35 BACKUP engine project?

So, lets talk about his voting record.
That he only voted "no" on once.

Project Vote Smart - Senator Scott P. Brown - Voting Record

Vote to pass a bill that establishes the Small Business Lending Fund to fund capital investments to financial institutions to provide loans to small businesses, establishes the Small Business Credit Initiative to fund state capital access programs for small businesses, and expands various tax deductions.

No to that.

Vote to concur with House amendments and adopt additional amendments to a bill that amends the filing deadline for an extension of unemployment benefits from June 2, 2010 to November 30, 2010, and amends the termination date of the Emergency Unemployment Compensation program from November 6, 2010 to April 30, 2011.

No on that.

Vote to concur with House amendments and adopt additional amendments to a resolution that appropriates funds for the federal government until March 4, 2011. (3082)

Yes on that.
Wait, I thought he was against government funding?

Vote on a motion to invoke cloture on a bill that establishes new disclosure requirements for political advertisements and other regulations for the financing of campaigns and political advertisements.

No on that.
I mean why would ANYONE want to know where they're getting their funding?

One no vote?
Really?

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 02-02-2011, 12:03 AM   #53
fishbones

Quote:
One no vote?
Really?
Are you really that dumb? Really? Do you even understand the difference between a "No Vote" and a "No" vote? Come on dude, even you can figure that out can't you?

A "No Vote" means that he either abstained from voting or was absent from the vote. That's why I put both words in parentheses, genius.

And yes, he voted against Obamacare.

And as a Freshman Senator, he's introduced several proposals in Congress. I'm not sure what else you want for leadership from a newbie?

Tough issues? You can look at Obamacare and Don't Ask, Don't Tell. They would be considered "tough issues".

Truck? I think he's still driving it, but I'm not sure. I guess it's a big deal to you, but not to me.

Pwn'd

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 02-02-2011, 11:25 AM   #54
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

he voted to fund the functioning of the govt and likwid said he thought he was against govt funding, thats pretty funny

I think hes been a reasonable republican, hes voted against the party line. Way more than you can say for 99% of the dem sentators that voted lock step with Obama until they saw the polls and results of the mid-terms and went wee wee wee all the way home

Old 02-02-2011, 11:43 AM   #55
JohnnyD

As of Dec. 1 (couldn't find more recent data), Scott Brown holds a 53% Favorable rating and only 29% Unfavorable.

Not too bad for a Republican Senator in a strongly Democratic state.