Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 08-21-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Impossible to do.....

I've found one thing that just can't be done in a kayak.....breaking off a snag.

I've been hitting the fresh water at night lately and I've notice it is absolutely impossible to break a snag.....can't be done

I'm using 8lb test and couldn't break it off....I can't imagine what you have to do to break loose one w/ 50lb braid inthe rocks.

anybody got any tricks?

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
Nebe

You gotta get right onto of it and pull like a mofo
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #3
Adam_777

I keep tension on the snag and move all around the object usually break free not off.Try tying the line around and anchor point and paddling away.
Adam_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
Raven

what about

the weighted de snagging devices that slide down your line?
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
FishermanTim

Whatever you do, DON"T try whipping the rod back, or yanking it across you upper body, as you could be VERY successful at breaking the line AND throwing yourself out of the kayak.
I turn the kayak in the direction of the snag, tighten the drag, reel in any slack line, grab hold of the reel spool, point the rod tip at the snag and pull back firmly. You should have enough power to break the line before the kayak gets pull forward.

For the record, I use 10-15 lb. braid and I haven't had any problems breaking off a snag as of yet. What gets me is doing the same damn thing that got me snagged 3 times in a row before I learnt my lesson!

I fished out on Spy Pond in Arlington on Sunday, and although I only managed to catch 2 fish, I did manage to land a 5+ lb. bass.
Fresh water bass like to drag you around just like their salt water cousins!!!

Hopefully the rain we get this week will help raise the water levels on a lot of woefully low-water ponds.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
JohnnyD

I've been pretty lucky and a few smacks with the paddle gets me undone most times. The other lucky one I've been running into is when the line wraps a branch but the lure is free to drop - just cut, pull the line gently back and retire.

What I've heard is real fun and haven't experienced yet is when you are in the salt and a fish locks you onto a Pot Line. Definitely not looking forward to that one.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:36 AM   #7
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

If I can't pull it free with a decent amount of force (not enough to throw me out of the yak, I just cut it)
Before that though, I loosen the drag and paddle to the other side of the snag (I mostly get snagged on lobster pots and can usually just pull up the line and free the snag as long as no crazy lobstermen are around that think I am screwing with thier pots)
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:50 AM   #8
FishermanTim

I agree. I would try to shake it free BEFORE resorting to breaking/cutting the line. Hey, if I can avoid having to retie a line, I'm all for it.
One "caveat" regarding braid and snags.
If you are using ANY kind of braid, and you get snagged, whether you break off or are able to free you lure, ALWAYS check the line near the lure for signs of stress and wear. I have lost a few lures, fresh and salt, because I failed to re-examine my line after freeing a snag. Within a few casts after the snag my lure would go "Bye-Bye" and I would be forced to retie.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote