Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-19-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
ecduzitgood
time to go

Lightbulb Generating income and saving fuel a win win!

I propose they put in place a law that imposes a minimum fine of $100 for people who stay in the passing lane when they could move to the right lane but refuse. It's the people who stay there that cause other vehicles to slow down and maneuver around them. This leads to more congestion and traffic which means less miles per gallon due to the domino effect. Time to put some teeth in to the "Keep right except to pass" signage and generate needed revenue for local communities. Please help get the word out, if you agree bump this thread to the top so others can read it.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:18 AM   #2
Chesapeake Bill

We just removed our signage...it was easier than changing the minds of thousands of fools...
Old 09-20-2011, 07:09 AM   #3
ecduzitgood
time to go

It is just a potential way of generating income from the people who are causing problems or cost for others who are doing things the right way. The government is looking for more money and want everyone to pay/contribute through taxation and I think they could increase the amount of revenue not by just taxing everyone that pays taxes, but by taxing the bad seeds in society more.
There are plenty of people who do the wrong thing whether it be littering, parking incorrectly, driving recklessly, etcetera.
Take distracted driving for instance. There are laws in place to try and curb the amount of texting being done by drivers but catching someone who is texting while driving isn't easy to do. Why not impose hefty fines on drivers who have been involved in an accident if by checking cellphone records it if found they were using their cell phone when the incident took place.
I just feel there are so many people who do disruptive things causing increased cost to others that either don't care or don't realize they are part of the problem. They won't take suggestions or listen to others and change their behavior voluntarily so I say make them pay and then they might change their ways.
Our town has imposed a fine for people who do not pick up after their dogs. This is a policy I agree with yet I do not see it working well. I suggest they fine people who don't have a bag with them either empty or full when walking their dogs. The police are not that busy in our town that they couldn't find the time to check some people walking their pets the same way they find time to pull over someone for an expired inspection sticker. Or perhaps the citizens could help enforce some laws through the use of modern technology by videotaping offenders and submitting the videos to the police or town offices who could then identify and fine the offenders. They could even give the person providing such evidence a percentage of the fine that is collected, somewhat of a non-unionized low cost police force if you will.

I can only learn how wrong I am if you educate me, so don't hold back.

Last edited by ecduzitgood; 09-20-2011 at 09:55 AM..
Old 09-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post
I can only learn how wrong I am if you educate me, so don't hold back.
OK.
I'll be blunt. You seem like an awfuly angry guy.... at least based on your various posts lately...

You really want cops to focus on driving around and busting people who don't have a poop bag handy? Seriously?

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 09-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
FishermanTim

Problem with this kind of thinking is that it's based on enotions more than logic. (Not saying you're illogical by any means).
Here's my take:
You could impose fines, and fines on top of fines, but if the fine revenue isn't directly used for the agency it was generated through, it will be wasted by the governing body of that particular town, city and state. Remember that most income collected by the state goes to fuel the social services and THEN pay salaries for political hacks, teachers and fire and police staff. That creates a shortage of enforement officers on the road, and with that shortage of police visibility, laws are ignored because what are the odds that there is a state trooper of police officer traveling the same road as you on any given day? SO.....with laws being made moot, people spped, drive wrecklessly, drive impaired, drive distracted and law-abiding operaters are now targets!

I can't tell how many times I was in the passing lane, passing at 70 mph in a 60 mph zone only to have multliple a-holes race up behind me and around me doing 90 mph just to get to wherever they are going! I'm sorry, but if I am playing by the rules, and you think I'm not going fast enough, you can just kiss my rear end.....LITERALLY!

Again, I cannot tell how many times some a-hole with a fast car comes facing down the highway, cutting off pretty much everyone in his way, only to get somewhere as fast as possible.

What we need is more strickly enforced EXISTING driving laws, and stiffer fines and penalties to go with them. With the lack of sufficient law enforcement visibility on the roads and highways, all the courts have is "He said, she said" heresay evidence, and the guilty offender ends up with a proverbial "slap on the wrist" for a major speeding infraction or maybe a motor vehicle homicide.

If you did half of the crap our "race driver" idiots do in ME or NH. you'd be facing felony driving charges, yet here in MA you get a warning or no charges at all!
Old 09-20-2011, 01:58 PM   #6
Chesapeake Bill

E,

The problem is we are trying to regulate ourselves to good behavior...it just does not work. The cell phone/texting issue is a good example. Good law but in order to prove it you need to access my phone records and that pushes the privacy issue (do you need a subpeona and is it in the best interest of the public for the judge to give the subpeona to you?) No easy answers...
Old 09-20-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
ecduzitgood
time to go

You are both right and I will admit I am an angry guy when posting my thoughts/opinions on the web due to a perceived anonymity.
I air my grievances and hope somehow people who are intellectually superior to me will talk to others even if it's just to mock or ridicule me and perhaps think about one of my issues and perhaps change will take place. I doubt very much that I am alone when it comes to being fed up with how things work. Thanks for helping me get the conversation started, I will go fishing soon and that will hopefully alleviate my tension.
Do you have any suggestions how society could function in a more considerate fashion, I believe somehow we have to police ourselves so we can all live together peacefully.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Last edited by ecduzitgood; 09-20-2011 at 02:22 PM..
Old 09-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
fishbones

Ed, if they made pot and prostitution legal, the world would be much more peaceful. But then you have the issue of germs being passed back and forth with the joint, and never mind how dirty a hookers hands and mouth are.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 09-20-2011, 03:34 PM   #9
ecduzitgood
time to go

Just had a car in front of my throw trash out the window, it was Brockton so it didn't bother me that much; but it would be nice if a video of the pig throwing the trash out the window showing the plate on the car that I could then turn in and have the owner of the car fined to help defray the cost of cleaning up after them.

I seem to post in a more agitated manner when I am without my preferred choice of almost legal natural form of medication, coincidence
Old 09-20-2011, 06:51 PM   #10
JohnnyD

This is a law and there is a fine. It's just poorly enforced unless the cop is pulling you over with other intentions, such as driving to the canal at 2am.

Quote:
Section 4B. Upon all ways the driver of a vehicle shall drive in the lane nearest the right side of the way when such lane is available for travel, except when overtaking another vehicle or when preparing for a left turn. When the right lane has been constructed or designated for purposes other than ordinary travel, a driver shall drive his vehicle in the lane adjacent to the right lane except when overtaking another vehicle or when preparing for a left or right turn; provided, however, that a driver may drive his vehicle in such right lane if signs have been erected by the department of highways permitting the use of such lane.
General Laws: CHAPTER 89, Section 4B
Old 09-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #11
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesapeake Bill View Post
E,

The problem is we are trying to regulate ourselves to good behavior...it just does not work.
Yup your right.
The only way to good behavior is when it's taught it in the home.

Courtesy, respect, treating others the way you want to be treated,
and morality are all home schooled.

" Choose Life "
Old 09-23-2011, 06:01 AM   #12
Chesapeake Bill

JPI,

You are right on point. I was at an art show last weekend (the wife dragged e there) and some lady was explaining that her little boy was "always full of fun." What I saw was a child that needed a good strap across his rear and some clear guidelines for behaving in public. I almost explained to her that we have a diagnosis for him but then they rely on perscriptions instead of lessons of civility.

ECDIG,

You have good ideas. But it won't change behaviours. People will expect that thye are allowed given they have now "paid" for the right. We have speed cameras and they just blow by them and pay whatever is billed. Keep the conversation going and perhaps we can find a solution that changes the world as we are coming to know it! We need a change.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:00 AM   #13
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesapeake Bill View Post
JPI,

I almost explained to her that we have a diagnosis for him but then they rely on perscriptions instead of lessons of civility.
LOL, like put a label on him which excuses his behavior and put
him on Ritalin. Quick fix.
Poor kid he just can't help it, he has xyz.

Don't worry though he will be in school soon and the responsibility and blame
will suddenly be on the teacher and school.
Freekin lazy parents.

" Choose Life "
Old 09-23-2011, 09:27 AM   #14
Fly Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post
I propose they put in place a law that imposes a minimum fine of $100 for people who stay in the passing lane when they could move to the right lane but refuse. It's the people who stay there that cause other vehicles to slow down and maneuver around them. This leads to more congestion and traffic which means less miles per gallon due to the domino effect. Time to put some teeth in to the "Keep right except to pass" signage and generate needed revenue for local communities. Please help get the word out, if you agree bump this thread to the top so others can read it.
U must be talking about me. I'm in the passing lane doing 70mph, if you pass me on the travel lane U should be pulled over for speeding and fined. U would be fined more then the person in the passing lane.

Just beep and I will wave.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:33 AM   #15
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
I'm in the passing lane doing 70mph, if you pass me on the travel lane U should be pulled over for speeding and fined.
If you are on a highway where the speed limit is 55mph, 70 in high speed is norm but you still need to get the "F" over if hogging the lane. If however the highway speed limit is 65mph, 70mph is the norm for the slowest right lane, no officer will issue a ticket for 70 in 65, unless you are doing something else stupid! Cops won't likely even give a ticket for 70 in a 55 during rush hours!

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:43 AM   #16
Fly Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
If you are on a highway where the speed limit is 55mph, 70 in high speed is norm but you still need to get the "F" over if hogging the lane. If however the highway speed limit is 65mph, 70mph is the norm for the slowest right lane, no officer will issue a ticket for 70 in 65, unless you are doing something else stupid! Cops won't likely even give a ticket for 70 in a 55 during rush hours!
You are correct and most state troopers will not ticket you if the speed limit is 55 and anyone doing 69mph. My trooper friends like the big money tickets and will stop you if over 70mph and flow of traffic usually determines the speed of travel.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #17
FishermanTim

The simple and logical solution to speeding on ANY road would be to have more police presence. Of course that would mean more money for more officers, and we all know that the state can't afford that when they hav much more pressing issues at hand, like funding illegal immigration healthcare and free housing!
If the fines that were collected for trafic offenses were pooled to help fund additional staffing, that would be a start.
Unfortunately ever money-making process in this state only goes to further the political hack agenda, so the police staffing option gets ignored and forgotten.

Then we have a major crime and the people AND the state all start crying for the police to catch the criminal/killer/thief and complain when it takes too long!

Maybe if the politicians on Beacon Hill would get their heads out of their asses and their hands out of OUR pockets, maybe they could actually do something beneficical for the state and not just for their own worthless selves?
Old 09-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #18
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

A simple rule learned in school, Keep to the right in the hall, should
prevail on the roads. Left lane is for pass cept rush hour.

Problem with more Troppers giving out tickets, it causes traffic jams
because of rubber necking.

I'll pass in the left then move over, I hate when a tailgater is on
my arse. Disturbs my 85mph tranqulity.

" Choose Life "