Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #31
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbass View Post
I would not say this was his biggest failure. If he thinks it is he is seriously misguided or lying.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
What's funny is that if you read the transcript it's clear President Obama actually meant it as a joke

-spence
Old 09-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #32
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
What's funny is that if you read the transcript it's clear President Obama actually meant it as a joke

-spence
You have a very keen insight into his mind then. I read the transcript, and saw the video, and saw no indication he was joking. And he was not kidding when he put 100% of the blame on the GOP's shoulders, rather than on his own inability to do 2 things simultaneously.

Do you actually believe these things as you type them?
Old 09-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #33
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

Do you actually believe these things as you type them?
I thought I e'splained this to you
Old 09-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #34
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
You have a very keen insight into his mind then. I read the transcript, and saw the video, and saw no indication he was joking. And he was not kidding when he put 100% of the blame on the GOP's shoulders, rather than on his own inability to do 2 things simultaneously.
Let's go to the tape.

This is after President Obama has been hammered in the interview about not getting immigration reform passed...

Quote:
Something different, something personal. I don’t know what you’re reading before going to sleep right now. I don’t know if you have already read the book “No Easy Day,” in which a Navy SEAL tells the story of how Osama bin Laden was killed. According to many, his death was your biggest achievement. What is your biggest failure?

THE PRESIDENT: Well, Jorge, as you remind me, my biggest failure so far is we haven’t gotten comprehensive immigration reform done. (Laughter.) So we’re going to be continuing to work on that. (Applause.) But it’s not for lack of trying or desire, and I’m confident we’re going to accomplish that.
I applaud you for recognizing my keen insight, but to be honest, had you actually read the transcript (as you said you did) you would have known this for yourself.

-spence
Old 09-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #35
scottw

they were laughing at him, not with him

"By the end of the program, Obama had been hammered into submission on his immigration reform promise. Asked what he considers his biggest failure, he turned to Ramos. "Jorge, as you remind me, my biggest failure so far is we haven't gotten comprehensive immigration reform done yet," he said to laughter from the audience, adding it wasn't for lack of trying."

Obama: Immigration Reform Inaction Was 'Biggest Failure'

"I don't want it to get lost in translation," Ramos said, switching briefly into English in an otherwise Spanish-language interview. "You promised. And a promise is a promise. With all due respect, you didn't keep that promise."

Obama replied that he takes responsibility for that failure, but denied he made such a promise -- a claim he also made recently to Spanish news agency Agencia Efe.

Obama has been accused of using immigration for politics, particularly after he announced his deferred action policy so close to the election. He dismissed that idea.

are you noticing a pattern here?????
Old 09-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #36
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Obama has been accused of using immigration for politics, particularly after he announced his deferred action policy so close to the election. He dismissed that idea.

are you noticing a pattern here?????
Yes, your shady quotations.

He went on to say...

Quote:
"I was winning the Latino vote before we took that action," he said.
Which is true.

It's a fact President Obama tried to start immigration reform, a fact the Dems tried to pass the DREAM ACT and a fact that President Obama used executive action to institute the deferred action policy...something that's pretty reasonable.

At the same time, deportations for the less savory are up.

A President who tries to kick the bad immigrants out and keep the good immigrants in would appear to be working in all our interests.

-spence
Old 09-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #37
Nebe

Spence.. Why do you bother??
Old 09-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #38
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Spence.. Why do you bother??
Idolatry
Old 09-25-2012, 07:05 AM   #39
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Yes, your shady quotations.

He went on to say...

Which is true.

It's a fact President Obama tried to start immigration reform,

when??...don't see his name associated with the Dream Act in WIKI anywhere till he overstepped his bounds in 2012, I think he talked and lectured a lot to try to gain political advantage but like most things with him, avioded any tough work and then complained that failure was the fault of others...but he'd have been spiking the football over and over if others had been successful...that's a "fact"?

a fact the Dems tried to pass the DREAM ACT

2010 passed the house, failed in the senate, 3 republicans voted for it, 5 democrats voted against it

and a fact that President Obama used executive action to institute the deferred action policy...something that's pretty reasonable.

if you are a dictator

At the same time, deportations for the less savory are up.

why are you still here?...sorry, couldn't resist

A President who tries to kick the bad immigrants out and keep the good immigrants in would appear to be working in all our interests.

that's brilliant if you are trying to decieve 3rd Graders ....where Zimmy????
-spence
"fact" is Spence, that, most of what Obama put his mind to is a mess...... his, and your explanation is to fault circumstances and others and their dark motivations..which is fine I guess...unless you are the President of the United States.....

time for him to go

”On March 19, 2009, after spending fewer than two full months in the White House, President Obama told Jay Leno that ‘one of the things’ he was ‘trying to break is a pattern in Washington where everybody is always looking for somebody else to blame.‘”

Last edited by scottw; 09-25-2012 at 07:24 AM..
Old 09-25-2012, 07:35 AM   #40
scottw

"Well look,” he said. “I think it is important for everybody to remember that I have been four square behind comprehensive immigration reform from the time I was a U.S. senator to my election as president and today. So, the issue has never been my full-throated support for comprehensive immigration reform.”

False. Obama tends to forget that, while in the Senate, he supported — at the behest of organized labor — a “poison pill” amendment intended to kill bipartisan attempts at comprehensive immigration reform.

then-Senator Obama’s killing of immigration reform in 2007. His vote for the Dorgan amendment, named after then-Sen. Byron Dorgan, D-N.D, who introduced it, was a poison pill amendment designed to gut the guest worker expansion and scuttle the entire reform effort. It passed 49 to 48 thanks to Obama’s unexpected support.

And, as president, he failed to make reform a top priority, as he promised Latinos he would.

Obama went on: “The challenge is to get it passed through Congress, which is ultimately who has to pass this law. We have strong support from the majority of Democrats. We have no support from Republicans.”

False. Obama may have support from a majority of Democrats in Congress, but it doesn't appear to be “strong” support.

For the four years that Democrats controlled both houses of Congress, from January 2007 to January 2011, comprehensive immigration reform was never a priority. Back then, Republicans were driving the agenda.

The president also said: “You've got some of the leading Republican candidates for president saying they would veto the DREAM Act, and members of Congress telling the same line. We couldn't get any Republican votes for the DREAM Act when it came up a couple of years ago.”

False. In December 2010, when Congress last took up the legislation that would give undocumented youth legal status if they joined the military or went to college, three Republican senators — Richard Lugar of Indiana, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and Robert Bennett of Utah — voted in favor of cloture to move the bill to a full vote. Lugar, in fact, was a co-sponsor of the bill.

Obama said: “My hope is that after this election, partly because of a strong Latino vote, a message will be sent that we need to, once again, be a nation of laws and a nation of immigrants, that we've got to be respectful of folks who are here, who are doing the right thing, trying to raise their families, often times have kids who were born here in the United States, and they need to be given a chance, a pathway, so that they can have a strong legal status in this country.”

False. Obama has nerve talking about being “respectful” to immigrant families given that his administration has divided tens of thousands of them.

According to a recent report by Immigration and Customs Enforcement, more than 46,000 parents with U.S.-born children were deported in the first half of 2011.

In trying to be both hawkish and humane on immigration, Obama has a problem telling the truth on the subject.
And that's no lie

Read more: Obama has trouble with truth on immigration - San Antonio Express-News