Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-02-2015, 10:37 AM   #31
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockport24 View Post
It's absolutely a mental health issue
In the case of this shooting (and Newtown, etc) you are spot on. In a free society, especially post 09/11, there is always a trade-off between liberty and security, no one knows the best place to draw the line. All we know us, wherever we collectively choose to draw the line, there will eventually be blood shed just on one side, and we need to discuss whether or not we need to move the line.

God Bless the victims. I heard a young army ver got shot 7 times by trying to stop the gyu, and he's alive, and that the vet's son turned 6 yesterday. Some birthday present, Dad needs to learn to walk again.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:42 AM   #32
Nebe

The real culprit is the media. Want to get famous??? Shoot a bunch of people. Your name will be known across the world. The media glorifies these killings by reporting on them.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 10-02-2015, 11:12 AM   #33
Jim in CT

How about the families of the murderers? i would guess (just a guess) that most people this disturbed, have to be exhibiting some signs of their condition. The shooter in Arizona, I believe, had a family that was asking the authorities to treat their son, but no help was available until after he did what he did.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:16 AM   #34
Nebe

Sure. There's many issues at play here.

FYI, I have a hunch that the shooter in this case was a Muslim with a very Muslim sounding name. The powers that be are not releasing the name because it would create a giant chit storm. Again. Just a hunch...
Old 10-02-2015, 11:25 AM   #35
tysdad115

Everyone has to place blame on something..blame the gun,obama,cell phones etc..Now I'm only 43 and don't know much about anything, but when did these "mental health" issues become so prevalent in society? In the 60's when school halls and basements were used as shooting ranges were there mental health issues then? When a kid/adult used to act up how was it dealt with then? Was it an old fashioned ass kicking or a "suck it up " mentality?

Seems to me the last 15-20 years everything has become some kind of syndrome..parents are overmedicating kids because they "cant pay attention" , teachers are recommending kids for therapy because they are "disruptive", I call that being a kid. Today everybody wants instant gratification and to take the easy way out because they dont know any other way.
At what point to we look at what society has become? Sure anyone can play the race card because its an easy way out. Politicians suck? Who voted them in ? It can go on and on..blaming the gun in these situations is the equivalent of blaming Verizon for cell phone related deaths and Jack Daniels for every DUI related death. But it is the people that are the problem most of them should look in the mirror to see whose fault anything is.

Does your incessant whining make you feel better? How about you just shut the hell up and suck it up? It's a fishing forum , so please just stop.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:29 AM   #36
tysdad115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Sure. There's many issues at play here.

FYI, I have a hunch that the shooter in this case was a Muslim with a very Muslim sounding name. The powers that be are not releasing the name because it would create a giant chit storm. Again. Just a hunch...
Check around you'll see he was involved in certain Muslim items...but you'll never hear that from anyone official. You'll be distracted away from that. So I wonder if it was the gun that asked the poor victims their religion before they were murdered? But we all know thats not possible because the gun was too focused on killing to discriminate by religious preference.

Does your incessant whining make you feel better? How about you just shut the hell up and suck it up? It's a fishing forum , so please just stop.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:42 AM   #37
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

This is what's kind of crazy - the major issues with gun violence in this country have to do with these mass shooting perpetrated by loonies and inner city gang-related violence.

All other "gun violence" is literally a one in a million occurrence.
So why then, should the law-abiding gun owners of this country have to to answer to these two instances that have nothing at all do with them?
Old 10-02-2015, 12:04 PM   #38
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysdad115 View Post
Check around you'll see he was involved in certain Muslim items...but you'll never hear that from anyone official. You'll be distracted away from that. So I wonder if it was the gun that asked the poor victims their religion before they were murdered? But we all know thats not possible because the gun was too focused on killing to discriminate by religious preference.
I'm sure if you subscribe to the right wing hate speech, yes, you'll find he was involved in certain Muslim items.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:21 PM   #39
tysdad115

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I'm sure if you subscribe to the right wing hate speech, yes, you'll find he was involved in certain Muslim items.
Well looking at the history of him posting muslim/islamic extremeist pictures and maybe the fact he asked people their religion prior to shooting them..I know, never use facts when talking to a left person. I have no use for left leaning liberal people or politicians.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:25 PM   #40
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysdad115 View Post
Well looking at the history of him posting muslim/islamic extremeist pictures and maybe the fact he asked people their religion prior to shooting them..
You might be able to explain him asking about religion by, um, the several remarks made online about hating organized religion.

Haven't heard about posting any pictures. Did Trump tell you that?
Old 10-02-2015, 12:50 PM   #41
tysdad115

"Might be able to"..you see it your way and I'll see it mine. Trump? He sucks but not nearly as bad as the current pos residing at 1600.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:12 PM   #42
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
The real culprit is the media. Want to get famous??? Shoot a bunch of people. Your name will be known across the world. The media glorifies these killings by reporting on them.
Yes correct, the killer confirmed it
but the President chose to politicize this just continues to prove he is unfit for the office America elected him for.

want to stop killings like this? stop publicity about them

Other killings can be addressed by treating mental health issues before they act.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:13 PM   #43
Nebe

Don't worry. He will be gone soon and you can focus your hate on the white Jew from Brooklyn
Old 10-02-2015, 01:23 PM   #44
Nebe

http://www.theonion.com/article/man-...view:1:Default
Old 10-02-2015, 02:13 PM   #45
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
You might be able to explain him asking about religion by, um, the several remarks made online about hating organized religion.

Haven't heard about posting any pictures. Did Trump tell you that?
It's likely too early to associate his actions with Islamic radicals. But you have to admit, that Obama bends over backwards to avoid labeling certain situations as acts of Islamic jihad, when that's clearly what they are. In the Ft Hood shooting, the shooter (a Muslim) self-identified ads a soldier of Allah, and yelled Allahu Akhbar as hee was killing Americans. That makes it an act of Islamic jihad, not "workplace violence".
Old 10-02-2015, 02:22 PM   #46
Sea Dangles

It is a surprise that Jim has decided to risk his family by staying in CT rather than embracing the culture of SD. Hmmmm.

Not so shocking is his not understanding the fact that folks in SC got shot up in church by a white guy. Yes Jim, black people go to church. Oh,and no it did not save them.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:37 PM   #47
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Keep it civil or I will lock it.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 10-02-2015, 03:24 PM   #48
tysdad115

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Keep it civil or I will lock it.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:51 PM   #49
Duke41
got gas?

Jim Jeffies I wish I was this glib He is on the mark.

https://youtu.be/7OZIOE6aMBk
Old 10-02-2015, 05:35 PM   #50
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
It is a surprise that Jim has decided to risk his family by staying in CT rather than embracing the culture of SD. Hmmmm.

Not so shocking is his not understanding the fact that folks in SC got shot up in church by a white guy. Yes Jim, black people go to church. Oh,and no it did not save them.
I'll try to respond with civility as the boss asked.

Dangles, first, if I (or anyone) says something like "poor blacks commit crime", I'm not saying that every single poor black person is a criminal, nor am I saying that 100% of crime is committed by such people. Are you familiar with what a "generalization" is?

"It is a surprise that Jim has decided to risk his family by staying in CT rather than embracing the culture of SD. Hmmmm."

OK, so because I don't live in SD, that means I can't say that the crime is low there, even when every statistic shows that? Why is that? You might notice I don't live in Chicago or DC, either. CT, except for the cities controlled by liberals (New Haven, Bridgeport, Hartford) is very safe. In those big cities, the libs have worked their usual magic, and they are uninhabitable and crime-ridden.

"Not so shocking is his not understanding the fact that folks in SC got shot up in church by a white guy"

I understand it perfectly. Why is it pertinent here? Did I ever imply that nothing bad ever happens in church?

"Yes Jim, black people go to church. Oh,and no it did not save them."

Again, I would be very interested for you to tell us, what I have ever said, which implies I believe that nothing bad happens to people who go to Church. Bad things happen to those who go to Church. And going to Church certainly is no guarantee that one will never commit a terrible crime.

I don't live in SD. But guess what? I am aware, and I can say with perfect validity, that violent crime is pretty close to zero there (despite the fact that guns are everywhere), and most people who live there, will tell you that religion has a lot to do with that. You are denying that, because it's not convenient to your current beliefs. That's your issue, not mine.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:26 PM   #51
Sea Dangles

.when did I deny that Jim?

Despite the fact that there were over 2700 violent crimes committed last year that number sits within your agenda? Is that close enough to call zero ?
They must be the ones who are not religious.It is 1.3% black if that makes a difference in your eyes.

Last edited by Sea Dangles; 10-02-2015 at 08:39 PM..
Old 10-02-2015, 09:04 PM   #52
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
.when did I deny that Jim?

Despite the fact that there were over 2700 violent crimes committed last year that number sits within your agenda? Is that close enough to call zero ?
They must be the ones who are not religious.It is 1.3% black if that makes a difference in your eyes.
Not sure what numbers you are talking about or referring to. What's 1.3% black exactly? Are you saying that South Dakota doesn't have a lot less violent crime rates, than Chicago or DC?

Also, by what logic do my claims of low crime in SD not have validity, since I don't live there? That was strange, to say the least.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:12 PM   #53
blondterror

This paragraph still resonates with me...

Getting rid of all handguns is the best answer...

The cell phones in the pockets of the dead students were still ringing when we were told that it was wrong to ask why. As the police cleared the bodies from the Virginia Tech engineering building, the cell phones rang, in the eccentric varieties of ring tones, as parents kept trying to see if their children were OK. To imagine the feelings of the police as they carried the bodies and heard the ringing is heartrending; to imagine the feelings of the parents who were calling — dread, desperate hope for a sudden answer and the bliss of reassurance, dawning grief — is unbearable. But the parents, and the rest of us, were told that it was not the right moment to ask how the shooting had happened — specifically, why an obviously disturbed student, with a history of mental illness, was able to buy guns whose essential purpose is to kill people — and why it happens over and over again in America. At a press conference, Virginia's governor, Tim Kaine, said, "People who want to ... make it their political hobby horse to ride, I've got nothing but loathing for them. ... At this point, what it's about is comforting family members ... and helping this community heal. And so to those who want to try to make this into some little crusade, I say take that elsewhere."

Many things have been written and will continue to be written on America's gun ownership rate (the highest in the world ), its gun violence (the worst in the developed world ), and the political and social forces that keep this from changing .

What Gopnik captured was not just the horrific costs of gun violence or the frustrating politics of gun control, but the special sort of anguish that we inflict on ourselves in the United States by forbidding any meaningful conversation around the tragedies that unfold over and over again.

There is an unwritten American rule that the aftermath of a mass shooting is the wrong time to talk about gun control. As Gopnik wrote, this logic would be recognized as absurd if applied to anything else: "The aftermath of a terrorist attack is the wrong time to talk about security, the aftermath of a death from lung cancer is the wrong time to talk about smoking and the tobacco industry, and the aftermath of a car crash is the wrong time to talk about seat belts."

Gopnik ended his piece with a call to ban handguns — a political nonstarter in 2007 and, in 2015, something that would be unimaginable to even discuss. That fact itself, that his concluding line has become more politically unthinkable rather than less, seems to drive home his point: that mass shootings will continue in America, and that Americans will refuse to seriously debate whether our culture of gun ownership is worth the costs.

"There is no reason that any private citizen in a democracy should own a handgun," he wrote. "At some point, that simple truth will register. Until it does, phones will ring for dead children, and parents will be told not to ask why."

Blond Terror
Old 10-02-2015, 09:28 PM   #54
Fly Rod

ABSURB!!......come on jim, your president is comparing a nation of over 300 million to a population to a population of 24 million, thats absurb......that is like comparing DETROIT population over 700 thou to my city of 28 thou.....detroit has about 500 gun crimes a year we have none....so what is your point?

Last edited by Fly Rod; 10-03-2015 at 08:33 AM..

"When its not about money,it's all about money."...
Old 10-02-2015, 09:35 PM   #55
PaulS

Jim. Can you pls post a.link to an article where the Dems. accused Thomas of rape. I don't recall that.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:54 PM   #56
tysdad115

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondterror View Post
This paragraph still resonates with me...

Getting rid of all handguns is the best answer...

The cell phones in the pockets of the dead students were still ringing when we were told that it was wrong to ask why. As the police cleared the bodies from the Virginia Tech engineering building, the cell phones rang, in the eccentric varieties of ring tones, as parents kept trying to see if their children were OK. To imagine the feelings of the police as they carried the bodies and heard the ringing is heartrending; to imagine the feelings of the parents who were calling — dread, desperate hope for a sudden answer and the bliss of reassurance, dawning grief — is unbearable. But the parents, and the rest of us, were told that it was not the right moment to ask how the shooting had happened — specifically, why an obviously disturbed student, with a history of mental illness, was able to buy guns whose essential purpose is to kill people — and why it happens over and over again in America. At a press conference, Virginia's governor, Tim Kaine, said, "People who want to ... make it their political hobby horse to ride, I've got nothing but loathing for them. ... At this point, what it's about is comforting family members ... and helping this community heal. And so to those who want to try to make this into some little crusade, I say take that elsewhere."

Many things have been written and will continue to be written on America's gun ownership rate (the highest in the world ), its gun violence (the worst in the developed world ), and the political and social forces that keep this from changing .

What Gopnik captured was not just the horrific costs of gun violence or the frustrating politics of gun control, but the special sort of anguish that we inflict on ourselves in the United States by forbidding any meaningful conversation around the tragedies that unfold over and over again.

There is an unwritten American rule that the aftermath of a mass shooting is the wrong time to talk about gun control. As Gopnik wrote, this logic would be recognized as absurd if applied to anything else: "The aftermath of a terrorist attack is the wrong time to talk about security, the aftermath of a death from lung cancer is the wrong time to talk about smoking and the tobacco industry, and the aftermath of a car crash is the wrong time to talk about seat belts."

Gopnik ended his piece with a call to ban handguns — a political nonstarter in 2007 and, in 2015, something that would be unimaginable to even discuss. That fact itself, that his concluding line has become more politically unthinkable rather than less, seems to drive home his point: that mass shootings will continue in America, and that Americans will refuse to seriously debate whether our culture of gun ownership is worth the costs.

"There is no reason that any private citizen in a democracy should own a handgun," he wrote. "At some point, that simple truth will register. Until it does, phones will ring for dead children, and parents will be told not to ask why."
And when radical Muslims hijacked airplanes and killed 3500 there was never talk of banning airplanes, every day people die from cancer related to cigarettes and yet you can still buy cigarettes. Tell me again how this agenda driven selective banning of firearms makes sense ? Oh sure England banned them ! And violence is still an issue, there's even a web site that tells people to " be a good victim" , knife related murders now rule.. Again ,you can continue your fantasy of blaming inanimate objects and the scum of society will still thrive.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:14 AM   #57
scottw

strange times...illegal and prescribed drugs fuel "creativity" and detach from reality..media fuels lack of regard for human life .....no love...no purpose...no predicting what one will do...

Oregon recently tightened it's gun laws and the campus was designated a gun free campus...how can this happen?

ban pointy knives while we're at it....keep the drugs and violence flowing

Don’t be a victim

If you feel you are in immediate danger from knife crime there are a number of steps you can take to protect yourself:
• Move away from the situation towards a public place (shop, house, restaurant etc.) as quickly as possible.
• Make as much noise as you can.
• Instead of carrying a knife, carry a personal alarm.
• Don’t fight back.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-0...der-your-knife

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...a-mark-antonio

Last edited by scottw; 10-03-2015 at 05:38 AM..
Old 10-03-2015, 07:25 AM   #58
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
strange times...illegal and prescribed drugs fuel "creativity" and detach from reality..media fuels lack of regard for human life .....no love...no purpose...no predicting what one will do...

Oregon recently tightened it's gun laws and the campus was designated a gun free campus...how can this happen?

ban pointy knives while we're at it....keep the drugs and violence flowing

Don’t be a victim

If you feel you are in immediate danger from knife crime there are a number of steps you can take to protect yourself:
• Move away from the situation towards a public place (shop, house, restaurant etc.) as quickly as possible.
• Make as much noise as you can.
• Instead of carrying a knife, carry a personal alarm.
• Don’t fight back.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-0...der-your-knife

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...a-mark-antonio
In my world it would be something like -
If faced with the reality of a knife crime, take 3 fast steps backwards, alert the offender that you are armed. Pump 4 rounds into his legs.

I think everyone should have guns and I'm a hippie art fag. 😂
Old 10-03-2015, 07:55 AM   #59
scottw

Quote:

I think everyone should have guns and I'm a hippie art fag. 😂

that was precious...glad I didn't have a mouth full of coffee
Old 10-03-2015, 08:19 AM   #60
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
You could still CCW on campus. I saw an interview with a vet packing who said he didn't intervene because he didn't want the cops to confuse him with the killer.

Guns are discouraged but it's not illegal. This is just more "criminals are attracted to gun free zones" nonsense from the NRA.