Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

We're Just Different People

I've often heard people say that Conservatives and Liberals basically want the same thing, they just have different ways of going about it. But a recent Reason-Rupe Poll (Sept. 1, 2011) shows that we are very different kinds of people that have different core values.

When asked whether people succeed based on a) "hard work" or b) "luck/help from others," liberals were nearly 6 times more likely to cite luck (28%) compared to conservatives (5%).

When asked for one to become wealthy must it be a) "at the expensive of others" or b) "wealth can be grown so there is enough for everyone" 70% of liberals believed that wealth can only come at the expense of others compared to only 27% of conservatives.

Lastly, respondents were asked to indicate which of two values is most important to teach your children, a) "to work hard and be self-reliant" or b) "to learn to share with others." Just half (51%) of liberals would teach their children to work hard and be self-reliant compare to over three-quarters (77%) of conservatives.

I'd personally hate to go through life thinking that only luck (good or bad) controls my success and that my financial success can only be achieved on the backs of others while failing to teach my children the value of hard work and self-reliance.

Last edited by Sweetwater; 09-12-2011 at 02:50 PM..

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.