Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 09-29-2016, 04:32 PM   #1
Jimbo

So I thought I could, I thought I could

Match stain to other pieces. First off, RMarsh, if I ever get my dream house it's gonna need stairs for a new second floor. You freelance in the mid-Cape area?
OK, so we bought a piece of unfinished furniture I told my wife I could stain/polyurethane to match two pieces we already had. I got stain/poly mix, two coats, and it's not quite dark enough for Mrs. "I want it darker." Since what I put on is poly and stain in one, do I have to sand it down and start over, or can I take a leap of chance and add some darker stain to what I already used, brillo it down a little and repaint the stupid thing?

Fishing is a... discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish. ~Herbert Hoover
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:11 PM   #2
ecduzitgood
time to go

Check the label....but you should be able to just put another coat or 2 and it will get darker each coat. I would try a test piece if you mix straight stain in the poly stain to make sure it doesn't affect the drying of the poly stain, you could mix a darker poly stain in and it will dry properly since you aren't changing the stain to poly factory formula.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:30 PM   #3
spence

Why does furniture need to match perfectly? If it's not the same furniture line or style I'd do it darker lighter or even paint it.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:53 PM   #4
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Why does furniture need to match perfectly? If it's not the same furniture line or style I'd do it darker lighter or even paint it.
Answer; quote " I told my wife I could stain/polyurethane to match " LOL
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote