Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-05-2018, 06:23 AM   #1
Jim in CT

kavanaugh hearings

look at how the republicans in the senate behaved during Sonja Sotomayors hearings. compare that to how the democrats in the senate behaved yesterday.

Make that comparison, and then ask yourself what that says about the two parties.

Trump is exactly like the senate democrats, a crybaby, vindictive spoiled brat who cannot accept when he doesn’t get exactly what he wants, and throws a temper tantrum. i call out trump when he behaves this way, lots of republicans call him out. are liberals criticizing the senate democrats?
Old 09-05-2018, 06:32 AM   #2
scottw

democrats being democrats

"our democracy is on trial"...or something
Old 09-05-2018, 06:56 AM   #3
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Romper Room

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 09-05-2018, 07:50 AM   #4
Jim in CT

their behavior is very trump-like. no irony there.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 09-05-2018, 07:54 AM   #5
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
their behavior is very trump-like. no irony there.
How do you defend Mitch McConnell’s stonewalling an Obama apointee after Scalia’s death ???

In case you haven’t noticed , both parties are broken.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:24 AM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
How do you defend Mitch McConnell’s stonewalling an Obama apointee after Scalia’s death ???

In case you haven’t noticed , both parties are broken.
"How do you defend Mitch McConnell’s stonewalling an Obama apointee after Scalia’s death ???"

Oh that's easy.

The American people, in open elections, freely chose to give senate control to the GOP. I don't think they did so, because they wanted Obama to shift the court. The people know that the Senate confirms judges, and if they wanted Obama to be able to pick supreme court justices, they would have given senate control to the Democrats. As Obama famously liked to say, elections have consequences. I guess Obama only feels that way, when he wins the elections.

"both parties are broken"

My party has a horse's ass as a POTUS. But we control the oval office, both chambers of Congress, and a large majority of state legislatures and governorships. And I can say with pride, that my side didn't behave this way during the confirmation of Kagan or Sotomayor. Obviously there are plenty of jerks on my side. But with the exception of Trump, we aren't in the habit of throwing a hissy fit every single time we don't get our way. We roll up our sleeves and figure out how to do better.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:27 AM   #7
scottw

democrats over the years...as with everything else...have set the behavior bar VERY low with regard to these hearings....
Old 09-05-2018, 08:27 AM   #8
spence

A few items...

1) The hypocrisy of the "elections have consequences" mantra is laughable
2) The withholding of most of his papers is unprecedented and again hypocritical
3) The dumping of tens of thousands of documents the evening before the hearing begins is a stunt
4) The consequences of an engineered majority conservative court has significant ramifications for the senators constituents
5) I could go on...
Old 09-05-2018, 08:28 AM   #9
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
A few items...

2) The withholding of most of his papers is unprecedented and again hypocritical
3) The dumping of tens of thousands of documents the evening before the hearing begins is a stunt
4) The consequences of an engineered majority conservative court has significant ramifications for the senators constituents
5) I could go on...
quit whining
Old 09-05-2018, 08:33 AM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
A few items...

5) I could go on...
"1) The hypocrisy of the "elections have consequences" mantra is laughable"

Can you please specify? When did congressional republicans behave this way?

"4) The consequences of an engineered majority conservative court has significant ramifications for the senators constituents "

Those constituents are the ones who gave control to the Republicans, so I don't think they are concerned with the ramifications of wining the elections.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:44 AM   #11
spence

Quote:
Can you please specify? When did congressional republicans behave this way?
Videos a plenty can be found with the google. I love the one of Sessions stating they couldn't hear Keagan until every single document she had produced had been provided.

You've got a bad memory.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:57 AM   #12
Pete F.
Canceled

Hopefully they are concerned about this hearing because Congress is not doing it's job with respect to, the Russia investigation, how Trump runs the executive branch, and the extent of his powers.
The only branch of government that is not under Trumplican control is the Judicial and this could change that.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-05-2018, 09:05 AM   #13
scottw

must be hard for the democrats questioning Kavanaugh to listen to and pay attention to his answers with the idiot leftists screaming in the background
Old 09-05-2018, 09:09 AM   #14
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Hopefully they are concerned about this hearing because Congress is not doing it's job with respect to, the Russia investigation, how Trump runs the executive branch, and the extent of his powers.
The only branch of government that is not under Trumplican control is the Judicial and this could change that.
Any comments at all, on the behavior of the Senate Democrats? Did you like it, were you embarrassed by it?

He's going to get confirmed. There is no way he's not going to get confirmed. That's what happens when one party controls the White House and the Senate. Elections have consequences, and that's true when Democrats win, and it's also true when Republicans win.

Kagan and Sotomayor both got confirmed. So will Kavanaugh.

Did you and Spence hear the scandal, that Kavanaugh bought some baseball tickets, put it on his credit card, and then paid the card off?? Of my God, the fiend! He must be stopped!! The liberals salivated over that scandal for a week. If that's the best they have, just shut up and get out of the way, for once. They're probably going to take the House in a few weeks, focus on that.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:11 AM   #15
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
must be hard for the democrats questioning Kavanaugh to listen to and pay attention to his answers with the idiot leftists screaming in the background
As if they ever listen.

Women will die! All the women will die if he's confirmed! Head for the hills, hide the women!

Have you seen the way he talks about his daughters? They had to be rushed out of the chamber, by the way.

Stay classy, libs. Stay classy. Force little kids to fear for their safety. Hooray!
Old 09-05-2018, 09:12 AM   #16
scottw

must be fun to sit there and have near corpses asking you stupid questions
Old 09-05-2018, 09:22 AM   #17
Pete F.
Canceled

Didn't watch the political theater, but the Democrats are certainly making your head explode.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-05-2018, 09:36 AM   #18
scottw

Quote:
Didn't watch the political theater, but the Democrats are certainly making your head explode.
I actually enjoy knowing they are getting arrested and sound like fools....more peace of mind than head exploding
Old 09-05-2018, 09:41 AM   #19
PaulS

Quote:
I actually enjoy knowing they are getting arrested and sound like fools....more peace of mind than head exploding
So now we have some left leaning activists sounding like fools in the confirmation hearings and we have a President sounding like a fool in the White House and his staff/aides doing all they can to prevent him from doing things bc they know he is a fool.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:47 AM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
So now we have some left leaning activists sounding like fools in the confirmation hearings and we have a President sounding like a fool in the White House and his staff/aides doing all they can to prevent him from doing things bc they know he is a fool.
True, Trump is a foolish buffoon.

Paul, what do you think about the way the Senate democrats kept interrupting and demanding a halt to the proceedings?
Old 09-05-2018, 09:49 AM   #21
Jim in CT

Quote:
My heads not exploding, just pointing out the bratty-like behavior of the senate democrats. They are the ones whose heads are exploding. I have no reason to get too upset, since Kavanaugh will get confirmed, and the senate democrats will show they aren't as different from Trump as they claim to be.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:06 AM   #22
scottw

Quote:
he(fool) won...as Obama liked to remind us of himself...Kavanaugh will be confirmed...win...democrats better pray they flip the house
Old 09-05-2018, 10:09 AM   #23
Nebe

Elections do have consequences. Just as actions have concequences in the form of future elections. I can’t wait till November.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:15 AM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:
Elections do have consequences. Just as actions have concequences in the form of future elections. I can’t wait till November.
I can't say I am as optimistic about November as you probably are. If I were you, I wouldn't be able to wait either.

I don't think that displays like I saw yesterday, help your side win elections. If they do help, that makes me sad. I don't like throwing fits when Trump does it, I don't like it when the senate democrats did it yesterday, and that's all they did. It's embarrassing and pathetic, on both sides.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:16 AM   #25
scottw

Quote:
yup...and it's fun to read through the various stunts that the dems and their cohorts planned for this hearing...just remarkable....I suspect Americans are watching

you shouldn't predict election outcomes however...your record is not good in that regard
Old 09-05-2018, 10:18 AM   #26
Jim in CT

Quote:
he(fool) won...as Obama liked to remind us of himself...Kavanaugh will be confirmed...win...democrats better pray they flip the house
Winning the house won't help them with the Supreme Court. I don't see how they fail to win the house, but I'm only saying that because I keep hearing people say it, and those same exact people said Hilary was going to win in a landslide. But even Foxnews polling has the Democrats up big as far as the House goes.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:38 AM   #27
PaulS

Quote:
True, Trump is a foolish buffoon.

Paul, what do you think about the way the Senate democrats kept interrupting and demanding a halt to the proceedings?
I think it is ridiculous that they were given 15,000? pages of docs. the night before. Why not give them a few days to review what they were given? I also believe they originally requested the same docs. that the Repubs. previously requested for other SCOTUS nominations but they haven't received them.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:40 AM   #28
PaulS

Quote:
Yes, he will get confirmed. Trump better pray they don't flip the house. It seems he is finally coming around to realize there is a chance of that happening.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:45 AM   #29
scottw

Quote:
Winning the house won't help them with the Supreme Court.
I understand that...flipping the house and firing up impeachment is their only hope of stopping the trump train

someone should make an ad with video from these walking dead senators as a call and cry for term limits
Old 09-05-2018, 10:46 AM   #30
scottw

Quote:
Yes, he will get confirmed. Trump better pray they don't flip the house. It seems he is finally coming around to realize there is a chance of that happening.
I'm praying for an exciting impeachment....