Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-15-2018, 02:44 PM   #1
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
This has been studied a lot and found that it's really not true. Many immigrants aren't low skilled and fill gaps in the workplace. A lot of low-skilled labor based jobs Americans simply don't want. Farmers that rely on immigrant workers continually face labor shortages.

I'm sure you can find some specific anecdotes where it's the case but in a general sense doesn't seem to pan out.
"This has been studied a lot and found that it's really not true"

It's not true that increasing supply suppress prices? That's not true? Fascinating, what a breakthrough!

"Many immigrants aren't low skilled "

And many are. What percentage of the illegals would you say are low skilled?

"in a general sense doesn't seem to pan out"

So why do liberals bemoan that wages at the bottom are not rising?

Last edited by Jim in CT; 01-15-2018 at 02:49 PM..
Old 01-15-2018, 03:18 PM   #2
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
So why do liberals bemoan that wages at the bottom are not rising?
A lot of factors here, automation technology, declines in unions, some due to cheap imports etc...the value of labor has declined but it's not primarily due to oversupply. Big problem is it's easier for the wealthy to make money with capital rather than investment in people.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-15-2018, 03:38 PM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
A lot of factors here, automation technology,
Interesting. Then why do liberals deny that increases in minimum wage, reduce the demand for minimum wage workers?

Spence, this is fascinating.

First, regarding immigration, liberals are denying that an influx of cheap supply of an item, will reduce its price.

Second, regarding the potential adverse effects of minimum wage hikes, liberals are denying that when you increase the cost of something, that the demand for that something will decrease.

I'm really, truly learning a lot here. Much of what I was taught about economics, supply & demand, and the elasticity of price, was all wrong. Wow.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:43 PM   #4
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Interesting. Then why do liberals deny that increases in minimum wage, reduce the demand for minimum wage workers?

Spence, this is fascinating.

First, regarding immigration, liberals are denying that an influx of cheap supply of an item, will reduce its price.

Second, regarding the potential adverse effects of minimum wage hikes, liberals are denying that when you increase the cost of something, that the demand for that something will decrease.

I'm really, truly learning a lot here. Much of what I was taught about economics, supply & demand, and the elasticity of price, was all wrong. Wow.
I've never heard anyone claim increased minimum wage decreases demand for those workers.

As for the other. You're trying to apply a very basic theory to a very complex situation with a lot more variables.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:52 PM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
I've never heard anyone claim increased minimum wage decreases demand for those workers.

As for the other. You're trying to apply a very basic theory to a very complex situation with a lot more variables.
"I've never heard anyone claim increased minimum wage decreases demand for those workers"

Of course you haven't, because they won't say that on MSNBC.

Spence, all other things being equal, when you increase the price of something, what happens to the demand?

"You're trying to apply a very basic theory to a very complex situation with a lot more variables"

Oh. So the liberals know that the GOP tax overhaul will cost 1.5 trillion, because that's a simple calculation with no moving pieces in a world where everything always stays exactly the same.