Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Muzik

Muzik Muzik Forums - by popular request...

Old 03-27-2010, 12:51 AM   #1
mosholu
Mosholu

Good songs that are ruined by a section

My friends and I were sitting in the pub tonight and we started to discuss certain songs that are good, if not exceptional, except for one part or a verse of lyrics that is weak and takes away from the whole song. For me, I was thinking of Volunteers by the Airplane. Great song until they get to the tear down the walls part. A second song that came up was Looks Like Rain by the Dead where the verse that includes street cats making love is just awful and hurts the whole song. Another song that came up is the Springsteen song Reno on Devils and Dust.
Does anyone else have a song that was damaged by one part that was out of kilter with the rest of the tune. Maybe they could not come up with some thing better or they were convinced of their own genius.
mosholu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:49 AM   #2
stcroixman

Respetfully disagree about Volunteers. Great Great album. A lot of music is personal preference. I like the section about tear down the walls.

Favorite song on that album has to be wooden ships. Now I will have to pull that record out and give it a spin.
stcroixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:13 AM   #3
rphud
GrandBob

Any Stones where Keith takes lead/solo instead of Mick
rphud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:15 AM   #4
rphud
GrandBob

p.s. Don't get me wrong (we's talking guitar of course)
rphud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
chrisjoe13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosholu View Post
My friends and I were sitting in the pub tonight and we started to discuss certain songs that are good, if not exceptional, except for one part or a verse of lyrics that is weak and takes away from the whole song. For me, I was thinking of Volunteers by the Airplane. Great song until they get to the tear down the walls part. A second song that came up was Looks Like Rain by the Dead where the verse that includes street cats making love is just awful and hurts the whole song. Another song that came up is the Springsteen song Reno on Devils and Dust.
Does anyone else have a song that was damaged by one part that was out of kilter with the rest of the tune. Maybe they could not come up with some thing better or they were convinced of their own genius.
In regards to the Dead (whom I love), when Donna G. opens here mouth (73-78), its time to skip ahead. Also, "look like rain" makes me want to puke! Its on a short list of tunes that I just can't listen to.
chrisjoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:01 AM   #6
mosholu
Mosholu

Well I like Looks Like Rain on Ace because of the pedal steel solo but live it has not bee n a killer. If you are not a Donna fan check out the Fall 71 tour which was Keith's first with the band and there was no Donna or Mickey Hart that is my favorite period of the Dead. See DP 2 Download Series Vol 3 and Road Trips v3.2 if you want to hear some shows. I have a wee bit of sympathy for Donna as she always claimed she could not hear the band because of the mix. In her earlier life she was one of the background singers at Muscle Shoals so she could not have too bad. However the tapes do not lie (although they may distort) and she never really found a niche in the band.
mosholu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:07 AM   #7
chrisjoe13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosholu View Post
Well I like Looks Like Rain on Ace because of the pedal steel solo but live it has not bee n a killer. If you are not a Donna fan check out the Fall 71 tour which was Keith's first with the band and there was no Donna or Mickey Hart that is my favorite period of the Dead. See DP 2 Download Series Vol 3 and Road Trips v3.2 if you want to hear some shows. I have a wee bit of sympathy for Donna as she always claimed she could not hear the band because of the mix. In her earlier life she was one of the background singers at Muscle Shoals so she could not have too bad. However the tapes do not lie (although they may distort) and she never really found a niche in the band.
I like that era too (check out the Big Railroad from 11/7/71). Keith had that "old time saloon piano sound" in the beginning. Later (77-78) he was pretty much asleep at the wheel.
No sympathy for Donna when she causes me to sprint across my house to quickly get to the volume. Its amazing how great some of the 77 stuff is despite the two of them.
chrisjoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote