Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 10-29-2001, 12:17 PM   #1
jeffsod

Question Thru Drilling Plugs

When you plan on thru wiring a plug do you drill out the hole thru the stock first? As in before you shape the blank. It would seem to be eaisier to drill the thru wire hole first and that way if you miss you didn't waste your time shaping.

How do most drill the holes; using a drill press? Saw some mention of using the lathe but not sure how this is done. I don't have a drill press handy but do have the lathe.

Final question what is the best way to acheive the profile without the use of a duplicator? Does anyone make templates of their chosen plug using oaktag or cardboard?

This wood turning stuff could be addictive....
jeffsod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 12:31 PM   #2
Tattoo

Good questions!

I always drill the center hole first, I learned the hard way!

Drill press is the way to go if you can get your hands on one. With a lathe you need to clamp the piece in a chuck on the left side with the motor and have a drill chuck on the other end so you can drill through the plug. It works, but takes longer than a drill press.

Right now I don't have a template for any of my plugs. It's all done by eye. I am in the process of obatining a duplicater though which should make things a bit easier.
Tattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 01:01 PM   #3
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Short of saying it "Duplicates" things how does a duplicator work? I'm guessing that it just traces an existing piece of wood but are they pretty universal? Can the attch to vairous lathes?

Thanks...

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 01:15 PM   #4
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Thru-drilling plugs on the lathe.

To through drill plugs on the lathe I use a drill chuck that is mounted on a Morse taper that fits in the HEADSTOCK of my lathe. After I finish turning and sanding a plug and cutting it out of the blank with my parting tool, I dress the ends up with a knife or chisel to remove any nub that might be left. I remove the tool rest and I put the drill chuck into my headstock with the appropriate sized drill. I am using a 1/8" standard twist drill, but some people prefer to use a brad point drill becuse they wander less. I take my center out of the tail stock and move it up to where the plug is almost touching the end of the drill bit when it is held with one end on the tailstock. I usually drill the "head" first because the shape of the tail centers nicely in the tailstock. I start the lathe in low speed and center the plug on the drill bit. Then I use the crank on the tailstock to push the plug straight onto the bit, this keeps the hole straight along the axis of the plug. Then I turn the plug around and drill it from the other end. If the plug is too long for the holes to join in the middle you may need to drill it with a longer drill. I made one by cutting a straight piece of coathanger and filing it on an angle to a point. The trick is to file it all from one side so it looks like a ramp rather than a wedge. I then put my coathanger in the chuck and start the lathe. I hold the plug freehand and gently complete the hole. The holes you drilled with the drill bit center the coathanger and guide it through the plug.

So far I have only made plugs with mahogany, but I have drilled countless tool handles this way with no trouble. When I first started I tried drilling with the chuck in the tailstock, but I found it difficult to properly keep the spinning object centered as I started my hole.

I can get pretty close by eye with a couple of sets of calipers to match diameters in key locations. I have thought of making some templates once I really get into it. I'll go from being banished to the garage to being banished to the house.

I made three bodies in about an hour on my lathe the other night. I could have gone much faster if I had turned them all and drilled them all at the same time. It takes a few minutes to change setups every time.

Last edited by Fishpart; 10-29-2001 at 01:21 PM..
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 08:38 PM   #5
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I'm a madman and drill them out after turning. I use an electric handheld drill and roll the blank along the edge of the workbench as I drill to try and keep it centered along the same lines as drilling with the lathe. I go from both ends and have managed so far to keep from drilling my hand. It works and is crude but I take my time. I only ruin 1 out of 10 only because of rushing. sometimes they can be fixed or I just give it to BM, he takes anything that dumpster diver
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 08:43 PM   #6
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

question for the masses...

....Question?

..do you seal its... A- hoe ?...what about the center hook- hoe ? ... and its nose- hoe ?

..or do you just allow the water to penetrate all the hoes ?....

....I just finished hacking together a needle/type ..plug?..drilled me hoes'.....added da weights to it....and voi-la !!! ....da most ugliest ting you ever seen.. ...after I see how the hardware's gonna work out, I'll give it a paint job....

I had posted a few questions on another thread......ummm....were they just stupik questions..??? cuz no-one answered dem'.....
__________________________________________________ __

Quote:~~~~

..tattoo.....( or anyone plug maker...)

...do you drill both sides of the plug.....to meet center, or is your bit that long, that it reaches the other side?....

...and do you countersink your eye holes?....they seem to be countersunk..and do you epoxy over them....or just glue them on??...and what kind of paint/and/epoxy do you use ?..and do you wax the ends of the plugs to keep moisture out?...and..and ...and...

well, I gotta get ready for the next swap! Don't I????....

__________________________________________________ __

...end of quote....and now off to the local stomping grounds for a little C & R .....

( ummm.....cast and retrieve...Einstein!! )
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2001, 06:26 AM   #7
Tattoo

Just for that.......I dont know nuttin!

Rub some boiled linseed oil on the and let them dry. This will prevent them from sewlling up and cracking.
Tattoo is offline   Reply With Quote