Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-31-2019, 08:02 AM   #61
PaulS

So people have said that MAGA really means nothing more than support of Trump and that support has no racial aspect to it. If that is the case why are the many instances of students at games chanting MAGA or Trump to minority students on other teams. Seems like these students don't understand the true meaning of MAGA.

"A year and five days ago, I wrote for the first time about a phenomenon at high school games: white fans -- mainly students -- chanting "Trump" or waving Trump signs to try to initimidate opposing teams that had a larger nonwhite representation among its players. Alas, it's a trend that isn't abating -- reflecting other acts of cruelty by adults that have taken place as some white are emboldened by Donald Trump's presidential victory (and his executive actions against, for example, Muslims and immigrants) to lash out against minorities.

It's happening all over -- in the last few months, Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Texas, Iowa and Oklahoma. An Indiana coach blamed Trump's emboldening of racists for his black players being on the receiving end of racial slurs off the court."
Old 01-31-2019, 08:12 AM   #62
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
So people have said that MAGA really means nothing more than support of Trump and that support has no racial aspect to it. If that is the case why are the many instances of students at games chanting MAGA or Trump to minority students on other teams. Seems like these students don't understand the true meaning of MAGA.

"A year and five days ago, I wrote for the first time about a phenomenon at high school games: white fans -- mainly students -- chanting "Trump" or waving Trump signs to try to initimidate opposing teams that had a larger nonwhite representation among its players. Alas, it's a trend that isn't abating -- reflecting other acts of cruelty by adults that have taken place as some white are emboldened by Donald Trump's presidential victory (and his executive actions against, for example, Muslims and immigrants) to lash out against minorities.

It's happening all over -- in the last few months, Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Texas, Iowa and Oklahoma. An Indiana coach blamed Trump's emboldening of racists for his black players being on the receiving end of racial slurs off the court."
"why are the many instances of students at games chanting MAGA or Trump to minority students on other teams"

Earth to Paul...there are some jerks out there, some stupid people, some mean people, some racist people, and they are on both sides. We don't take their behavior, and hold accountable everyone who voted the same way they did.

If I see someone in a Red Sox hat kill someone, does that say anything about other Red Sox fans?

"why are the many instances of students at games chanting MAGA or Trump to minority students on other teams"

Where was the evidence that Trump was to blame? It's very easy to blame him. Show me the proof.

He's not a good guy, not even close. But your side is trying to make him out to be much more. They said McCain was racist, and that Romney hated women. You lose credibility when you endlessly try to demonize everyone who is apolitical threat.

Can we ever talk about his policies? Ever? No one here disagrees that his behavior is disgusting. But he's not inciting racism.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:23 AM   #63
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

Earth to Paul...there are some jerks out there, some stupid people, some mean people, some racist people, and they are on both sides. We don't take their behavior, and hold accountable everyone who voted the same way they did.No, but you can hold accountable people who are wearing MAGA hats who are yelling things that people can view as racist. After enough people in MAGA hats (not red hats, but red hats w/MAGA on them) yell racist things the data is credible enough to know that you are more likely to find a racist person who has a MAGA hat than you are in the general population w/o the hat. You're an actuary so you know that is true. It is not saying by any stretch that all MAGA wearing people are racist.

If I see someone in a Red Sox hat kill someone, does that say anything about other Red Sox fans?

Where was the evidence that Trump was to blame? It's very easy to blame him. Show me the proof.past comments - sheethole countries, etc.

He's not a good guy, not even close. But your side is trying to make him out to be much more. They said McCain was racist, and that Romney hated women. You lose credibility when you endlessly try to demonize everyone who is apolitical threat. Who is "they"? Are you doing exactly what you just railed against in your 2nd sentence above?

Can we ever talk about his policies? Ever? No one here disagrees that his behavior is disgusting. But he's not inciting racism.
Why talk about his policies when he is such a vile, disgusting person who still has like 38% approval rating - which prob. translates into 90% of Republicans.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:24 AM   #64
Jim in CT

Quote:

Paul, to clarify, I think words (from a POTUS) matter a great deal, and Trumps words are usually a grave disappointment to me. But he's not issuing a call to arms for racists (in fact he has decried racism countless times), there isn't (despite his disgusting words to the contrary) a lot of right wing violence with him paying for defense fees.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:28 AM   #65
scottw

Quote:

It's happening all over -- "

Old 01-31-2019, 08:30 AM   #66
Jim in CT

Quote:
Why talk about his policies when he is such a vile, disgusting person who still has like 38% approval rating - which prob. translates into 90% of Republicans.
"but you can hold accountable people who are wearing MAGA hats who are yelling things that people can view as racist"

Fine. Hold THEM accountable. But don't transfer their guilt, to people who wear a similar baseball cap who aren't doing anything wrong. The hat is irrelevant. The person, and his actions, are what matter.

"the data is credible enough to know that some people wearing those hats are racist "

Agreed. But the hat doesn't make them racist, their actions do.

"you are more likely to find a racist person who has a MAGA hat than you are in the general population"

I don't concede that for a second.

"Where was the evidence that Trump was to blame? It's very easy to blame him. Show me the proof.past comments - sheethole countries, etc"

Did the kids claim that Trump made them do it? Or are you just speculating?

"Why talk about his policies when he is such a vile, disgusting person "

Because his policies are what actually matter, they are what effect us. And the alternative in the 2016 election, was also a vile disgusting person.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:32 AM   #67
PaulS

And I thought this thread was about a member here who was nicknamed double standard for his always attempting to argue the exact opposite depending on whether it was a Rep. or a Dem. Hope he is ok as he hasn't been around for a while.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:34 AM   #68
PaulS

Quote:
Because his policies are what actually matter, they are what effect us.
How much time was spent discussing Obama's mom jeans, his "treasonous" wearing of the brown suit, his disrespect for the White House bc he once put is feet up on the desk, his disrespect for the military/flag bc he saluted w/a cup of coffee in his hand, etc.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:36 AM   #69
scottw

Quote:
And I thought this thread was about a member here who was nicknamed double standard for his always attempting to argue the exact opposite depending on whether it was a Rep. or a Dem. Hope he is ok as he hasn't been around for a while.
it's too early to be drinking on a Thursday Paul
Old 01-31-2019, 08:37 AM   #70
Jim in CT

Lastly Paul, some of the taunting by Trump supporters, is defensive. I'm so sick of the left trying to label us all as haters, that even I want to buy a MAGA hat and walk around the Wesleyan campus wearing it, saying "nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah" to everyone. DO you really not see what the liberal politicians and the media have done to the level of discourse since they turned on Bush? Trump has taken it to new lows without doubt, but it's been a long long time since political discourse was ethical. Hilary's deplorables comment was a perfect example. Obama said "Republicans gotta stop just hating all the time".

I think conservatives got tired of getting hit below the belt, so they nominated someone who could win in the arena of dirty fighting.

That doesn't explain all of it, not even close. But there is some of that. I don't know many conservatives who don't feel that way. Look at what happened to Kavanaugh, look at what happened to the Covington kids, look at the questions NBC asked the Sandman kid (very challenging questions, painted him as the aggressor), and the stupid softball questions she asked Phillips.

It hasn't been fair for a few years. The conservatives finally took off the gloves and put on brass knuckles, and the left wasn't expecting it. And they can't deal with it, they thought only they were allowed to fight dirty.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:37 AM   #71
scottw

Quote:
How much time was spent discussing Obama's mom jeans, his "treasonous" wearing of the brown suit, his disrespect for the White House bc he once put is feet up on the desk, his disrespect for the military/flag bc he saluted w/a cup of coffee in his hand, etc.
not that much actually...and the mom jeans were pretty funny
Old 01-31-2019, 08:39 AM   #72
Jim in CT

Quote:
Now I have to look up Obama mom jeans. I don't have any idea what that was. And sure, I poked fun at Obama. Not hundreds of times, not every single day. This is all day, every day.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:43 AM   #73
Sea Dangles

Perhaps it is the message on the hat that makes these folks lose their minds. I just happen to think making America great again is a good thing. Others clearly are opposed to this concept and wil do anything to obstruct and malign this message of unity.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-31-2019, 08:49 AM   #74
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Now I have to look up Obama mom jeans. I don't have any idea what that was. And sure, I poked fun at Obama. Not hundreds of times, not every single day. This is all day, every day.
Perhaps it is because Trumps goal is to be in the news everyday, all day and he is quite effective at it.

Numerous experienced politicians have told him he'd get more accomplished if he behaved differently.

He has not changed.

And so far his legislative accomplishments are not noteworthy.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-31-2019, 08:51 AM   #75
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Perhaps it is because Trumps goal is to be in the news everyday, all day and he is quite effective at it.

Bill Clinton started that...Obama was pretty good at it too....
Old 01-31-2019, 08:53 AM   #76
scottw

Quote:

well...he's not a legislator
Old 01-31-2019, 09:03 AM   #77
Cool Beans

To hell with this... maybe we should just embrace the hate.. and admit that we on the right are all racists and all we want to do is kill all the minorities and Make America White Again......

No matter what any Republican or Conservative on here says... certain people will always use "their superior intellect" and "critical thinking" to change facts by using their feelings, emotions and huge brains into "new facts" that prove we are all Hitler loving racists. We all love Putin and Kim Jung Un... By wanting to protect our great country we are uncaring racists... Both parties have all promoted border security as major parts of their party, but only one side is racist...

Like I said before... We are living in the Twilight Zone........
Old 01-31-2019, 09:10 AM   #78
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
not that much actually...and the mom jeans were pretty funny
Still got those pictures in case anyone doesn't know what we are talking about?

Last edited by PaulS; 01-31-2019 at 09:17 AM..
Old 01-31-2019, 09:13 AM   #79
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post
To hell with this... maybe we should just embrace the hate.. and admit that we on the right are all racists and all we want to do is kill all the minorities and Make America White Again......

No matter what any Republican or Conservative on here says... certain people will always use "their superior intellect" and "critical thinking" to change facts by using their feelings, emotions and huge brains into "new facts" that prove we are all Hitler loving racists. We all love Putin and Kim Jung Un... By wanting to protect our great country we are uncaring racists... Both parties have all promoted border security as major parts of their party, but only one side is racist...

Like I said before... We are living in the Twilight Zone........
Maybe you should try using your "superior intellect" or "critical thinking" instead of always trying to insult people in your posts.

Last edited by PaulS; 01-31-2019 at 09:19 AM..
Old 01-31-2019, 09:18 AM   #80
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Perhaps it is the message on the hat that makes these folks lose their minds. I just happen to think making America great again is a good thing. Others clearly are opposed to this concept and wil do anything to obstruct and malign this message of unity.
When did you think America wasn't great.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:31 AM   #81
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Apparently he listened to Trump’s inauguration speech
As George Bush said: That was some wierd #^&#^&#^&#^&

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-31-2019, 09:41 AM   #82
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Perhaps it is because Trumps goal is to be in everybody's head everyday, all day and he is quite effective at it.
Fixed it

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-31-2019, 10:00 AM   #83
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Paul, I am not hating on the country and never have. I will not threaten to leave or stomp my feet regardless of who is in power. I do see room for improvement however. This message is almost identical to the famous Michelle O’bama quote that liberals defended endlessly. Now that it is associated with a Republican,the liberals turn it into a message of hate and oppression.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-31-2019, 10:02 AM   #84
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Apparently he listened to Trump’s inauguration speech
As George Bush said: That was some wierd #^&#^&#^&#^&
Ha, you are getting like Wayne. Thanks for attempting to crawl into my thoughts. Is this a new snowflake super power?

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-31-2019, 10:10 AM   #85
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Paul, I am not hating on the country and never have. I will not threaten to leave or stomp my feet regardless of who is in power. I do see room for improvement however. This message is almost identical to the famous Michelle O’bama quote that conservative media attacked mercilessly. Now that it is associated with a Republican,the liberals turn it into a message of hate and oppression.
Fixed it for you

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-31-2019, 10:10 AM   #86
Jim in CT

Quote:
Except my net pay is up, my IRA is up, GDP is up, unemployment is down, and ISIL is having a rough time...

Pete, when you ignore his accomplishments, I agree it's easy to say he hasn't done anything.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:11 AM   #87
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Fixed it
Yes you did.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:13 AM   #88
PaulS

Quote:
Paul, I am not hating on the country and never have. I will not threaten to leave or stomp my feet regardless of who is in power. I do see room for improvement however. This message is almost identical to the famous Michelle O’bama quote that liberals defended endlessly. Now that it is associated with a Republican,the liberals turn it into a message of hate and oppression.
No it isn't.

She clarified what she said. You said that "I just happen to think making America great again is a good thing" along with the attempted backhanded slap.

So, when did you think America wasn't great bc your statement clearly says America is/wasn't great at some point.

If you think like Jim said that we should alwayst try to be better, that is a different statement.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:20 AM   #89
Cool Beans

Quote:
Maybe you should try using your "superior intellect" or "critical thinking" instead of always trying to insult people in your posts.
I don't remember calling or even inferring to your inferior in intellect, never called you a racist, occasionally I do admit that I have made jokes about Spence and his manhood... but that's about it.

I think I have done pretty well lately trying to explain why I think the way I do and have not called anyone names or insulting people. I just don't understand how you think the way you do....

When unemployment rates were too high, when health care costs went up instead of down like was promised, when I couldn't keep the same doctor, when every time white on black crime creates a riot or protest but not black on black or black on white, when tax rates were too high, when lack of border security is causing real problems both drugs and criminal. These are just a few things why America wasn't as Great as it used to be. None of these things that I feel are important to Make America Great Again are RACIST. Almost all of the policies and changes that the Trump Administration has put through are making America greater than it was. Not that long ago, anyone could wear any hat no matter what and it wouldn't cause that person to get beaten up or chased out of a place of business. It has become so bad now, that your whole life can be ruined by wearing a hat. Social media has made it exponentially worse.. a quick screenshot showing only part of a story and BOOM.... you are now getting death threats and your school has to close... WTF... this is INSANE....
Old 01-31-2019, 10:41 AM   #90
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

Numerous experienced politicians have told him he'd get more accomplished if he behaved differently.

He has not changed.

Quote:
Except my net pay is up, my IRA is up, GDP is up, unemployment is down, and ISIL is having a rough time...

Pete, when you ignore his accomplishments, I agree it's easy to say he hasn't done anything.
I didn't ignore any thing, what I said was "And so far his legislative accomplishments are not noteworthy".

Perhaps like Scott, you think he is not responsible for legislation since he is not a "legislator"

Lets Go Darwin