Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 11-29-2009, 11:03 AM   #1
chefseany

looking for a new kayak?

New to the kayak game . Whats better sit on top or sit in? what r better brands for the money?
chefseany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:37 PM   #2
Cappucci

All depends on what your doning with it. Fishing in the Ocean I would recomend a sit on top 14ft or better. I like Wilderness Systems, but I would recomend you try a few out and see/feel what fits you best.
Cappucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
JohnnyD

Exactly as Cappucci stated, depends on what you want to do. I fished freshwater from a Sit In for about 4 years (and still do sometimes), but have only fished a SOT (sit on top) in the ocean.

I think SOT kayaks are much better suited for the ocean. More available room for storage, customization and I think a whole lot easier to fish out of. You don't have to worry about taking waves and then bailing out the water, it will flow right through the scuppers.

I bought a Ocean Kayak Trident 13 and love it.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

good advice here. I would just go for a sit on top for the reasons JohnnyD mentioned. Before you buy however, you should really try to give a lot of brands a try and try a hobie (the pedal-drive kind) if you have the money (they are almost twice the price of the regular paddle ones). I have yet to try one because I'm afraid I would become obsessed and need to get one! I hear they are that good.

Still, if you don't want to spend a bunch and just want to get in the game, I would stick with the paddle type and look at Ocean Kayak, Wilderness Systems, and Heritage.
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:42 AM   #5
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

I do not have kayaks anymore but when my wife and I were into it we bougt Wildernes Systems Pungo kayaks. They wer the balls. Sold both of them to Spence

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:26 PM   #6
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
I do not have kayaks anymore but when my wife and I were into it we bougt Wildernes Systems Pungo kayaks. They wer the balls. Sold both of them to Spence
And I believe he has not used them once....
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #7
Megabyte

If you're close enough ????

The Kayak Centre in Wickford has a demo day shortly at Wickford Town Beach. They had 20 -30 canoes/kayaks to try when I was looking.
Give them a call.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Megabyte is offline   Reply With Quote