Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 10-12-2017, 03:37 AM   #1
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Thumbs down New level of stupidity

I have a Pella door on Craigslist (here also). So I get this email from Sharon ****, who states she wants it but is on a business trip. She's fine with the price and wants my address, telephone #, date of birth and SSN so she can send me a check.

YUP! Comin' right up, honey!@

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:37 AM   #2
spence

Can't you just Western Union her the money?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:49 AM   #3
Rockfish9

Brazen...never ceases to amaze me the amount of scum bags out to swindle someone..

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:24 AM   #4
PaulS

Tell her you would be willing to lower the price is she sends you a picture of herself.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:37 AM   #5
FishermanTim

It's a shame that we can't set these scumbags up for a big fall, like giving them information that would lead them to a police sting operation that could track them down.

Yeah, it's wishful thinking, but it would be fun knowing that these scumbags were setting themselves up for a fall...

When all else fails, just make up numbers to send them on a wild goose chase.

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:18 PM   #6
BigBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
It's a shame that we can't set these scumbags up for a big fall, like giving them information that would lead them to a police sting operation that could track them down.

Yeah, it's wishful thinking, but it would be fun knowing that these scumbags were setting themselves up for a fall...

When all else fails, just make up numbers to send them on a wild goose chase.
The problem with that is most of them originate from anonymous accounts set up from an internet cafe in some remote country in Africa. Extremely difficult to chase down because they move around all the time. I watched a documentary on them with hidden cameras and such. They plant themselves in some fly ridden internet cafe for a couple days phishing for gullible participants. Then they move from cafe to cafe. Our authorities here rarely chase after them there and their authorities don't care and most likely involved with it too.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:19 PM   #7
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Every time I tried to sell something on CL, I got 5 scam replies for every legit one. After I told one guy to #^&#^&#^&#^& off, he somehow got my address, and sent me 3 checks, in 3 different amounts, to "pay" for what I was selling. They were drawn on some "bank" in Virginia that I never heard of. The best part: all 3 checks had the same check number on them.

2 weeks later, I get an e-mail accusing me of cashing them and pocketing the money, and that he was going to report me to the FBI. I told him that his "checks" were at the Bourne police station, and he could contact them and arrange to get them back.

Never heard another peep.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:49 PM   #8
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
I have a Pella door on Craigslist (here also). So I get this email from Sharon ****, who states she wants it but is on a business trip. She's fine with the price and wants my address, telephone #, date of birth and SSN so she can send me a check.

YUP! Comin' right up, honey!@
Offer it free for sex when she comes to pick it up , just saying
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:01 AM   #9
FishermanTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
Every time I tried to sell something on CL, I got 5 scam replies for every legit one. After I told one guy to #^&#^&#^&#^& off, he somehow got my address, and sent me 3 checks, in 3 different amounts, to "pay" for what I was selling. They were drawn on some "bank" in Virginia that I never heard of. The best part: all 3 checks had the same check number on them.

2 weeks later, I get an e-mail accusing me of cashing them and pocketing the money, and that he was going to report me to the FBI. I told him that his "checks" were at the Bourne police station, and he could contact them and arrange to get them back.

Never heard another peep.

Tell him that you used his check to help a Nigerian prince move his fortune out of the country and should be getting a big paycheck real soon....

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:57 AM   #10
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

I think the bottom line is that you can use Craigslist to see stuff like sporting good and auto parts but anything of high value brings out the scammers.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote