Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 12-07-2005, 04:08 PM   #1
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

Holiday Tree ???????????

Any one else a little disturbed by the fact that some cities and towns have to call their tree the Holiday Tree instead of the Christmas Tree.

Whats next to go?
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 04:18 PM   #2
spence

What's next ???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grinch2001.gif
Views:	91
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	12985  
spence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 04:20 PM   #3
Jimbo

YBYA! What has it come to in this country when we have to give an alias name to an object associated with a popular and specific holiday, just so other people who don't celebrate that holiday aren't offended or think that if I can celebrate my holiday so openly and traditionally, why they shouldn't they be able to celebrate their (and every other) equivalent holiday.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	whosaidit.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	12986  
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:00 PM   #4
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
People SUCK!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:59 PM   #5
Skip N

Just more Political correctness gone mad. People do suck and need to chill out...How can one be offended by a Christmas tree?! I meen people know its a Xmas tree, call it what it is!
Skip N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:04 AM   #6
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Hey....I don't get offended when I see a minora (hope I spelled that right) or a statue of Buddah, or anything not related to how I celebrate religion......everyone celebrates religion differently and they have many ways of expressing that....isn't that a constitutional right? To A.) Express yourself and speak freely and to B.) Worship freely in your own way?????? What the hell is this miserable marble coming to?

Old 12-08-2005, 12:17 AM   #7
Skip N

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish
Hey....I don't get offended when I see a minora (hope I spelled that right) or a statue of Buddah, or anything not related to how I celebrate religion......everyone celebrates religion differently and they have many ways of expressing that....isn't that a constitutional right? To A.) Express yourself and speak freely and to B.) Worship freely in your own way?????? What the hell is this miserable marble coming to?
I agree, Its sad when a handful of people with an agenda that are anti religious or have a diff faith have to ruin it for the rest of us and make our blood boil. I meen 90 percent of Americans celebrate Christmas and becuase a handful of people make a stink and feel offended over a tree or a baby jesus they have to ruin it for the majority. Ugh...People suck!

Well I'm gonna wish everyone here at SB.com a MERRY CHRISTMAS and may God bless you all this Christmas season. If that offends anyone to bad. Get over it.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:13 AM   #8
redneck24
WTF

MERRY CHRISTMAS

diamondbanger
redneck24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:15 AM   #9
redneck24
WTF

GO BACK TO YOUR OWN COUNTRY IF YOU DONT LIKE IT!

diamondbanger
redneck24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 08:31 AM   #10
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip N
they have to ruin it for the majority. Ugh...People suck!
The only way they Ruin it for the rest of us is if you let them. look at you, this is the 2nd thread that you've lost your mind over the fact that they call it a Holiday tree....so you basically let them ruin it for you. Guess what....They won....with you at least. When you get all fired up about it and get others all fired up about it....they win. That is what they want and that is why they do it.

There have been people with opposing views and ideals since Adam and Eve (eat the apple, don't eat the apple), or when the ape became man (Wow already we have opposing views) and that is never going to change.

Myself I don't care what they call it, I call it a Christmas tree and thats all that should matter. I'll walk up to it with my family and say "Look at the awesome Christmas Tree". If a family comes up behind us with his family and says "Hey Kid's look at the awesome Channukah Bush" I'm not going to spin around and say "what are you a friggin moron...its a Christmas Tree" I'm just going to enjoy the Christmas tree with my family.

Nothing can be ruined for you by someone else's interpretation unless you let it.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 08:56 AM   #11
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck24
GO BACK TO YOUR OWN COUNTRY IF YOU DONT LIKE IT!

What the hell does this mean?

-spence
Old 12-08-2005, 10:11 AM   #12
MoroneSaxatilis
googan

Holiday for the Restuvus

HAPPY FESTIVUS!

Gather 'round the Festivus Pole, it's time for the Feats Of Strength!

Attached Images

MoroneSaxatilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 10:23 AM   #13
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Festivus....for the Rest of Us!!!

Old 12-08-2005, 10:57 AM   #14
Skip N

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman
The only way they Ruin it for the rest of us is if you let them. look at you, this is the 2nd thread that you've lost your mind over the fact that they call it a Holiday tree....so you basically let them ruin it for you. Guess what....They won....with you at least. When you get all fired up about it and get others all fired up about it....they win. That is what they want and that is why they do it.

There have been people with opposing views and ideals since Adam and Eve (eat the apple, don't eat the apple), or when the ape became man (Wow already we have opposing views) and that is never going to change.

Myself I don't care what they call it, I call it a Christmas tree and thats all that should matter. I'll walk up to it with my family and say "Look at the awesome Christmas Tree". If a family comes up behind us with his family and says "Hey Kid's look at the awesome Channukah Bush" I'm not going to spin around and say "what are you a friggin moron...its a Christmas Tree" I'm just going to enjoy the Christmas tree with my family.

Nothing can be ruined for you by someone else's interpretation unless you let it.

You just dont get it, if you have called it a Holiday tree your whole life thats cool and i dont care. The whole point of this thread is the fact that some towns and cities (Boston for example) who have called the local tree the "Christmas" tree for years are now changing it to "Holiday" tree for total PC reasons. Everthing is the generic "Holiday" saying now. When did this country get offended by Christmas is all i want to know?
Old 12-08-2005, 10:59 AM   #15
Skip N

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck24
MERRY CHRISTMAS
I'm offended by that comment. How dare you impose your religion on me
Old 12-08-2005, 11:59 AM   #16
Redsoxticket

Holiday tree ???

This term is not even politically correct. If you call it for what it really is, well it can be a Balsam Fir, Douglas Fir Fraser Fir, White Fir, etc.

Before you know it there going to take Charlie Brown's Christmas off the air. "Oh Cristmas tree, Oh Cristmas tree, -----"

The christians and maybe the episcobals are the two that call it the christmas tree. There is power in numbers of these two groups and it would be a economic and political disadvantage to retailers and politicians if this were to continue. Matter of fact major retailers are going back to calling it a christmas tree because efforts are currently underway by boycotting (sp) these retailers.
Redsoxticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:11 PM   #17
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I might start calling a Minora a Penobscot Candle!

Old 12-08-2005, 12:45 PM   #18
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
You just dont get it, if you have called it a Holiday tree your whole life thats cool and i dont care. The whole point of this thread is the fact that some towns and cities (Boston for example) who have called the local tree the "Christmas" tree for years are now changing it to "Holiday" tree for total PC reasons. Everthing is the generic "Holiday" saying now. When did this country get offended by Christmas is all i want to know?
I "get it" I just don't let it bother me. I don't care what they call it. As far as I'm concerned it IS a christmas tree. But why am I going to get fired up about it...so that everytime I see it I'll be pissed off about it. I'd rather just look at it and enjoy it.

I prefer to not let something as trivial as what they call a tree ruin my christmas.

Old 12-08-2005, 12:53 PM   #19
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
I "get it" I just don't let it bother me. I don't care what they call it. As far as I'm concerned it IS a christmas tree. But why am I going to get fired up about it...so that everytime I see it I'll be pissed off about it. I'd rather just look at it and enjoy it.

I prefer to not let something as trivial as what they call a tree ruin my christmas.
Spoken like a man that gets it. must be the beer
I'm not overly PC but then again who cares...
Jon Stewert had a GREAT quoteabout gay marraige... and I paraphrase:

"Wait, I'm now being told that gay marriages will not be mandatory. So who gives a SH!T?"

People can call their tree whatever they want, but who gives a crap, honestly., They arent forcing you to call it a holiday tree. They arent mandating that all the trees sold must be called Holiday trees. They, being a government, which is supposed to be seperate from church wants to call it a holiday tree. big F'ing deal

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 01:04 PM   #20
Skip N

Why do i bother arguing with some of you people. You just dont get what Christmas meens to most people and how insulting it is to see Christmas being turned into a generic holiday. My sister cant even hang a %$%$%$%$ing santa in her classroom at school its gotten so bad. Its not just about the tree calling thing. Its much more than that that sadly many of you just dont understand. or just dont care.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:10 PM   #21
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

I understand;
raise your kids so that Christmas means alot to them as well and guess what; they wont care that government or schools have to be a bit PC

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 12-08-2005, 01:18 PM   #22
Skip N

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND
I understand;
raise your kids so that Christmas means alot to them as well and guess what; they wont care that government or schools have to be a bit PC
I agree with you on that. No adays thats the way to go
Old 12-08-2005, 01:19 PM   #23
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Stop the presses Skip agrees with me...
If 'thats the way to go'
Then why do you care so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bryan

Old 12-08-2005, 01:21 PM   #24
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
I understand;

Quote:
Why do i bother arguing with some of you people.
Wow you took the words right out of my mouth....

Old 12-08-2005, 01:25 PM   #25
MoroneSaxatilis
googan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxticket
Before you know it there going to take Charlie Brown's Christmas off the air.
Actually, when Charles M. Schulz originally brought "A Charlie Brown Christmas" to the network in 1965, they balked and told him that
"...you can't read from the Bible on network television".
So even back then, there was concern about "offending" some politcal or religious group or other.
MoroneSaxatilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 01:30 PM   #26
Skip N

Quote:
Stop the presses Skip agrees with me...
If 'thats the way to go'
Then why do you care so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hahaha i dont know why i care so much! Just one of the many things that annoys me! I'm a a fairly young guy at 26 and just remember Christmas not to long ago seemed to meen alot more than it does now. I just seems all very water downed in my opinion and way to PC for me. But your right, to me and my fam its still the same but i just see the overall Christmas time experiance outside my house is way different than it was only 10 years ago. I'm just not sure what happened in society and why Christmas in the puplic arena has to be water donwed all of a sudden, and why people seem to be afraid to say Merry Christmas now. Thats all.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:33 PM   #27
Skip N

Quote:

Wow you took the words right out of my mouth....
Old 12-08-2005, 01:39 PM   #28
spence

Skip, if you don't start to check your spelling...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5490946_240X180.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	13000  
Old 12-08-2005, 02:04 PM   #29
Skip N

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence
Skip, if you don't start to check your spelling...
Oh man, I'll start typing slower for now on.

I better not comment on that pic. Thats just wrong
Old 12-08-2005, 03:52 PM   #30
zacs
D'oh

Quote:
... I'm a a fairly young guy at 26...
WOW.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but all this time, i guess since the elections, I figured you were in your 50's by the way you posted.

Calling it a holiday tree is a nice way to include everyone in this festive time of year. Why exclude? Share the love, bro.

i bent my wookie
zacs is offline   Reply With Quote