Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-14-2021, 09:33 PM   #91
Pete F.
Canceled

Even the Trumplicans tried to cancel “poor” Larry
“She went ballistic over what I said," Elder told Newsweek. "Never mind my body of work both in print and on radio where I expressed extreme skepticism about the fairness of the 2020 election. This is the kind of zero tolerance that induces people like me to not to want to go into politics."
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 09-15-2021, 09:16 AM   #92
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Maybe Larry should take a page out of the terminators playbook and when interviewed after losing say don’t worry I’ll be back.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:39 AM   #93
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I think seeking to undermine the election process with no evidence of fraud is one of the worst things you could do in this country.
so when a republican dares to run against a democrat, we now call that “undermining the election process”?

I bet you didn’t share those concerns when Scott Walker was recalled. Right? That recall gave you a big erection.
Old 09-15-2021, 11:34 AM   #94
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
so when a republican dares to run against a democrat, we now call that “undermining the election process”?

Was he only talking about running against the a democrat when he made that statement?
Old 09-15-2021, 11:42 AM   #95
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Was he only talking about running against the a democrat when he made that statement?
All the libs everywhere are saying this was just a partisan hit job against the election process. Haven't heard anyone say what they mean. Did Elder forge signatures on the recall petition? He he get dead people to vote? Or did he have the chutzpah to challenge a very prominent democrat, one in charge of a state that's a hot mess, that people are fleeing from, that ordered his citizenry to stay home while he went out for lavish dinners, because he's superior to everyone else?

I saw none of this concern when Scott Walker was recalled, but that was a good thing, because he was a republican.
Old 09-15-2021, 11:59 AM   #96
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
And the gaslighting starts with the same playbook as the leader of the Republicans
Before there are any results from the recall, Elder’s campaign is promoting a petition “demanding a special session of the California legislature to investigate and ameliorate the twisted results of this 2021 Recall Election of Governor Gavin Newsom."
Quote:
Calling an election rigged before it even happens is the biggest possible “tell” that you yourself are trying to game the system. I wonder how many examples we need before we learn that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
What is this voter fraud Trump, Elder and others on the right speak of? Oh wait no evidence of it to date, unless of course your on the right and you need to say hey we won regardless of the rigged election results. This is their strategy moving forward, granted I see it actually blowing up in their face, but in their wacky world they think they can keep people from voting if they say it’s rigged. The irony is I think that message is impacting more of Republican voters than the desired target.
Quote:

I bet you didn’t share those concerns when Scott Walker was recalled. Right? That recall gave you a big erection.
No, it's when without evidence of any kind they call foul

Pretty odd visualization you have, sounds like wishful thinking to me

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-15-2021, 12:09 PM   #97
Jim in CT

Quote:
No, it's when without evidence of any kind they call foul

Pretty odd visualization you have, sounds like wishful thinking to me
The Newsom camp called this thing a partisan hit job last week. What had elder done, to warrant that?

Is he saying there was cheating?

Pete i have full faith that Trump
legitimately got creamed, ok? Never said otherwise.

So can you tell me why it’s ok to require an id to see your doctor, but not to vote?

If you put the words beat apolitical problem solvers in a room, and asked them the best ways to endure we ruin integrity, every single one of them would say voter id and voting in person if possible. I can only think of one possible reason why anyone would oppose this, they want it to be easier to cheat. There’s no other possible reason.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:09 PM   #98
PaulS

Quote:
All the libs everywhere are saying this was just a partisan hit job against the election process. Haven't heard anyone say what they mean. Did Elder forge signatures on the recall petition? He he get dead people to vote? Or did he have the chutzpah to challenge a very prominent democrat, one in charge of a state that's a hot mess, that people are fleeing from, that ordered his citizenry to stay home while he went out for lavish dinners, because he's superior to everyone else?

I saw none of this concern when Scott Walker was recalled, but that was a good thing, because he was a republican.
In your anger I don't think you read the posts. Go back and reread them bc it looks like you didn't.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:14 PM   #99
Jim in CT

Quote:
In your anger I don't think you read the posts. Go back and reread them bc it looks like you didn't.
not angry, thanks.

you’re right i didn’t read the whole thread. i kind of stopped when wdmso defended the white woman who wore a black monkey mask
and threw eggs at elder and shoved the elderly people he was walking with.

when i need lectures on character from the only person in the world who still calls people
retard ( and insists it was ok), i’ll let you know, but thanks.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:25 PM   #100
PaulS

Quote:
not angry, thanks.

you’re right i didn’t read the whole thread. i kind of stopped when wdmso defended the white woman who wore a black monkey mask
and threw eggs at elder and shoved the elderly people he was walking with.

when i need lectures on character from the only person in the world who still calls people
retard ( and insists it was ok), i’ll let you know, but thanks.
You know I did it because you claim Republicans are such great people yet they all got hard-ons when Trump made fun of the handicapped reporter.

It's funny how you ran away for months and now you're back spewing your anger yet you had the nerve to mock someone else because you thought that they had done that previously even though you were asked r a few times to leave them alone. You agreed to stop but did it again anyways. I guess you just can't help yourself.

Do you know notice how this forum turns into a #^&#^&#^&#^&show when you post?
Old 09-15-2021, 12:45 PM   #101
Pete F.
Canceled

Too bad Gavin Newsom couldn’t send the $276,000,000 bill for this recall election to the Republican Party.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:52 PM   #102
PaulS

The number of signatures needed for recall and the format of the questions were stupid.
Old 09-15-2021, 01:05 PM   #103
spence

Quote:
All the libs everywhere are saying this was just a partisan hit job against the election process. Haven't heard anyone say what they mean. Did Elder forge signatures on the recall petition? He he get dead people to vote?
I'd say publishing baseless claims that the election was rigged is pretty blatant. Trump was right there with him.

Quote:
Or did he have the chutzpah to challenge a very prominent democrat, one in charge of a state that's a hot mess, that people are fleeing from, that ordered his citizenry to stay home while he went out for lavish dinners, because he's superior to everyone else?
You keep harping on your exodus theory and it's just a half baked talking point that isn't really true. 2020 was the first year the population didn't grow in 120 years. Much of the small drop that did occur was covid related.

The dinner thing was definitely a bad move. The recall might not have happened without the negative PR.

Quote:
The situations are completely different.
Old 09-15-2021, 01:05 PM   #104
Jim in CT

Quote:
The number of signatures needed for recall and the format of the questions were stupid.
who determines the number of signatures needed for recall? i’m guessing Larry Elder doesn’t make that decision, obviously it’s california law. the california state legislature, which I’ll bet is controlled by democrats, must write that law. but somehow this is all Larry Elders fault.
Old 09-15-2021, 01:07 PM   #105
Jim in CT

Quote:

The situations are completely different.
right. you wanted one recall to work, so that was ok.

you didn’t want the other recall to succeed, therefore it couldn’t possibly be legitimate.

Flawless logic.
Old 09-15-2021, 01:26 PM   #106
PaulS

Quote:
who determines the number of signatures needed for recall? i’m guessing Larry Elder doesn’t make that decision, obviously it’s california law. the california state legislature, which I’ll bet is controlled by democrats, must write that law. but somehow this is all Larry Elders fault.
I believe it's less than 15% of the people who voted in the last governor election.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:16 PM   #107
Jim in CT

Quote:
I believe it's less than 15% of the people who voted in the last governor election.
Again, that's not Larry Elder's fault,. It's the legislature's fault. Which party controls the California state legislature?

I doubt the GOP is responsible for that recall threshold, which seems stupidly low. I don't like recalls at all, and I didn't like this one. That's what scheduled elections are for.

But if I was governor of a state where a mere 15% of the voters could trigger a recall, I hope I'd be smarter than telling my constituents they had to stay inside for a year while I went out and enjoyed fabulously lavish dinners with the swells. If you do everything you can to present yourself as a czar, you're going to have to deal with people not appreciating it.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:21 PM   #108
Jim in CT

Quote:

You keep harping on your exodus theory and it's just a half baked talking point that isn't really true. 2020 was the first year the population didn't grow in 120 years. Much of the small drop that did occur was covid related.

T.
The state of California lost a congressional seat for the first time ever after the 2020 census.

But it's just a partisan theory.

https://apnews.com/article/census-20...aecdc1cac3e97b
Old 09-15-2021, 02:25 PM   #109
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

If you put the words beat apolitical problem solvers in a room, and asked them the best ways to endure we ruin integrity, every single one of them would say voter id and voting in person if possible. I can only think of one possible reason why anyone would oppose this, they want it to be easier to cheat. There’s no other possible reason.
You certainly are enduring in your attempts to enable people who ruin integrity.

It’s interesting that you claim to be conservative yet want yet more laws to prevent voter fraud, which has been proven time after time to be statistically insignificant and has not been shown by any evidence to have affected any election in this country.

One could question if what is happening here is Consciousness of Guilt on your part.

It is important to protect the integrity of our elections. But we must be careful not to undermine free and fair access to the ballot in the name of preventing phantom voter fraud.

Politicians at all levels of government have repeatedly, and falsely, claimed the 2016, 2018, and 2020 elections were marred by large numbers of people voting illegally. However, extensive research reveals that fraud is very rare, voter impersonation is virtually nonexistent, and many instances of alleged fraud are, in fact, mistakes by voters or administrators. The same is true for mail ballots, which are secure and essential to holding a safe election amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The Brennan Center’s seminal report The Truth About Voter Fraud conclusively demonstrated that most allegations of fraud turn out to be baseless and that most of the few remaining allegations reveal irregularities and other forms of election misconduct. Numerous other studies, including one commissioned by the Trump administration, have reached the same conclusion.

Voter fraud is unacceptable, but we must find solutions that address actual problems instead of imposing policies that make it harder for millions of eligible Americans to participate in our democracy.

But enabling more Americans to be voters is not your goal.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-15-2021, 02:31 PM   #110
PaulS

Quote:
Again, that's not Larry Elder's fault,. It's the legislature's fault. Which party controls the California state legislature?

I doubt the GOP is responsible for that recall threshold, which seems stupidly low. I don't like recalls at all, and I didn't like this one. That's what scheduled elections are for.

But if I was governor of a state where a mere 15% of the voters could trigger a recall, I hope I'd be smarter than telling my constituents they had to stay inside for a year while I went out and enjoyed fabulously lavish dinners with the swells. If you do everything you can to present yourself as a czar, you're going to have to deal with people not appreciating it.
It's actually 12%. Wisc. is 25%. Not Elders fault. Just too low.
Old 09-15-2021, 03:07 PM   #111
spence

Quote:
The state of California lost a congressional seat for the first time ever after the 2020 census.

But it's just a partisan theory.

https://apnews.com/article/census-20...aecdc1cac3e97b
Big deal, it's a blip and mostly due to covid.
Old 09-15-2021, 03:12 PM   #112
PaulS

Calif. has housing problems. The people moving out make less than the people moving in. There is no room to add housing stock in SF which keeps housing costs high.
Old 09-15-2021, 03:17 PM   #113
Jim in CT

Quote:
Calif. has housing problems. The people moving out make less than the people moving in. There is no room to add housing stock in SF which keeps housing costs high.
you left out a few things, which i’m sure had nothing to do with politics. , it has crime, homelessness, san francisco which basically consists of tech millionaires and everyone else shooting up and pooping in the street, and it has very very high taxes. people are concluding the cost isn’t worth it.
Old 09-15-2021, 03:17 PM   #114
Jim in CT

Quote:
Big deal, it's a blip and mostly due to covid.
the states these people are moving to, don’t have covid? which states are those?

you crack me up.

“the pathology of ideological
possession”- when you don’t merely agree with an ideology, but rather you are slaves by it, and there’s nothing you won’t say to defend it, no matter how stupid.

it’s because of covid. the AP says it started in 2017, so those people
had a covid crystal ball i guess!
Old 09-15-2021, 03:20 PM   #115
Jim in CT

Quote:
well spence said it wasn’t happening. then confronted with an AP article saying it was happening, immediately blamed it on covid. because the people fleeing California, found a state to move to, where covid doesn’t exist.
Old 09-15-2021, 03:42 PM   #116
spence

Quote:
well spence said it wasn’t happening. then confronted with an AP article saying it was happening, immediately blamed it on covid. because the people fleeing California, found a state to move to, where covid doesn’t exist.
California has a massive population and about 25% of the population lost was due to Covid deaths. People haven't been able to move to CA because of Covid and immigration is way down because of Covid. Sure, some leave because of the high cost of living but it's not the main factor.
Old 09-15-2021, 03:58 PM   #117
Jim in CT

Quote:
California has a massive population and about 25% of the population lost was due to Covid deaths. People haven't been able to move to CA because of Covid and immigration is way down because of Covid. Sure, some leave because of the high cost of living but it's not the main factor.
Well if every state lost the same % of people, there’s be no loss of a congressional seat.

So you’re saying that the population drop is because CA has a meaningfully higher death rate than other states. But that isn’t a reflection of the job that the governor is doing.

Better and better.
Old 09-15-2021, 03:59 PM   #118
PaulS

Quote:
you left out a few things, which i’m sure had nothing to do with politics. , it has crime, homelessness, san francisco which basically consists of tech millionaires and everyone else shooting up and pooping in the street, and it has very very high taxes. people are concluding the cost isn’t worth it.
The people moving don't State their moving because of crime or a few people pooping in San Francisco. The ones moving are lower educated poorer folks who can't afford California. The people moving into California make more money an are more highly educated. Lower immigration from other countries has her California also.
Old 09-15-2021, 03:59 PM   #119
Jim in CT

Quote:
People haven't been able to move to CA because of Covid .
But the AP said the trend started i. 2017. Covid was a big deal in CA in 2017, then?
Old 09-15-2021, 03:59 PM   #120
detbuch

Quote:
It’s interesting that you claim to be conservative yet want yet more laws to prevent voter fraud, which has been proven time after time to be statistically insignificant and has not been shown by any evidence to have affected any election in this country.

However, extensive research reveals that fraud is very rare, voter impersonation is virtually nonexistent, and many instances of alleged fraud are, in fact, mistakes by voters or administrators. The same is true for mail ballots, which are secure and essential to holding a safe election amid the coronavirus pandemic.
What you say is not true. There have been many instances of voter fraud in the U.S. And some elections were overturned because the fraud was detected. And in close elections, even small amounts of fraud can affect the outcome:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...it/ar-BB1fp9TP

https://www.heritage.org/election-in...ns/voter-fraud

Last edited by detbuch; 09-15-2021 at 04:13 PM..