Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-21-2022, 07:13 AM   #61
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
the gesture might not mean he was poking fun at the guys condition, as he aimed that identical gesture at several people over the years who didn’t have that disability. the video is there paul. just watch it and you can decide what it means. regardless, it’s a stupid gesture meant to belittle
people who dared to criticize him. fair to call him out for that. But there’s a great chance that he had no idea this guy had any physical
challenges, therefore a great chance he wasn’t poking fun at his disability. He knew who the guy was and the reporter said they met repeatedly. So your saying it was just a coincidence?

there are a large list of names you can call trump apologists. why not pick something that’s not deeply offensive to these families who haven’t done anything to you?

you’re acting like, well, like trump.

if you want to make fun of those who think trump is a saint, heck i don’t blame you. i do it all the time.

but there are a hundred insulting words you could have used, that special olympics doesn’t consider hate speech to that community. And you use 000s of insulting words here - Including imbecile. So use imbecile the next time you volunteer at special olympics and see the reaction you get or one of the many words you use to insult woman around any normal woman and see the reaction you get. I used it once and you use vile words repeatedly so stop lecturing me.

seems like you went way out of your way to insist on that one specific word, then you stubbornly refuse to concede that there’s anything wrong with it.I have never said there is nothing wrong with it so stop lying (again)
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
In an interview on Thursday, Mr. Kovaleski said that he met with Mr. Trump repeatedly when he was a reporter for The Daily News covering the developer’s business career in the late 1980s, before joining The Post. “Donald and I were on a first-name basis for years,” Mr. Kovaleski said. “I’ve interviewed him in his office,” he added. “I’ve talked to him at press conferences. All in all, I would say around a dozen times, I’ve interacted with him as a reporter while I was at The Daily News.”
Old 04-21-2022, 07:31 AM   #62
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
In an interview on Thursday, Mr. Kovaleski said that he met with Mr. Trump repeatedly when he was a reporter for The Daily News covering the developer’s business career in the late 1980s, before joining The Post. “Donald and I were on a first-name basis for years,” Mr. Kovaleski said. “I’ve interviewed him in his office,” he added. “I’ve talked to him at press conferences. All in all, I would say around a dozen times, I’ve interacted with him as a reporter while I was at The Daily News.”
"So your saying it was just a coincidence?"

My god, man, for the tenth time...What I'm saying is there's video evidence of Trump making the same physical gestures over the years, to mock other people who he didn't like. Someone here posted the video. So obviously that's Trump's "go-to" gesture when he wants to mock somebody.

Either way, it's a very immature, stupid way to respond to someone who disagrees with you. But it's compelling evidence that Trump wasn't mocking the guy's disability.

Now, I'm not saying that's not what Trump was doing, either. He has made fun of people for being short and for looking funny, so he's not above making fun of someone's disability. But there's a meaningful chance that's not what he was doing here.

If you want to bash Trump, you could fill the oceans with irrefutable examples of him behaving horribly. We don't need to stretch the truth to show how deeply, deeply flawed he is.

If you find that unfair, I don't know what to tell you. I can criticize him every single time he does something disgusting. I don't need to reflexively defend every single thing he does, like you guys all do with democrats. But I can also admit when he does something good. You guys can't, and that's TDS.

"And you use 000s of insulting words here - Including imbecile. So use imbecile the next time you volunteer at special olympics and see the reaction you get or one of the many words you use to insult woman "

For the second time, if you can post a link from Special Olympics saying imbecile is hate speech, I will never use that word again, and I'll feel bad for having ever used it. But I couldn't find such a news story. As we both know, I did find a clip from Special Olympics saying clearly that the language you use, does constitute hate speech towards their community.

You used that word, not me. Your language, not mine, is universally considered to be hurtful to those people.

You're the only person on this forum that I know of, who has gone tattling to the moderators about what others (only the conservatives, naturally) have said. But you insist it's OK for you to use that word and other similar language.

You're like the kid in school who does something, and when someone does it back to him, he goes tattling to the grown-ups. Who doesn't love the kid who does that? Right?

I don't insult "women", there's that lying again. I insulted Hilary, who is as morally bankrupt as a person can get. She married a predator, she lied to protect him (said the republicans were framing him with the Lewinski story) and then she went on national TV and slut-shamed his victims. Classy! She's a morally bankrupt c--t.

That's not insulting "women". It's insulting her, and she deserves it every bit as much as Trump does.

You can't admit that, because she's a democrat. That's all that matters to you.

Why are all women tied to criticism of one woman? Why is it insulting all women, if I insult one woman?

Last edited by Jim in CT; 04-21-2022 at 07:42 AM..
Old 04-21-2022, 07:48 AM   #63
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
You want to ban "conservativism" because you really, really, really hate it. But you do love using the expansion of the particular into the general propaganda trick.
The irony is that conservative principles are actually the antidote to Trumpism. Trumpism violates norms, upends US institutions, destabilizes the transfer of power, treats corruption as a spoil of office & abuses gov’t power to punish domestic enemies. It conserves nothing.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-21-2022, 08:04 AM   #64
PaulS

Quote:
"So your saying it was just a coincidence?"

My god, man, for the tenth time...What I'm saying is there's video evidence of Trump making the same physical gestures over the years, to mock other people who he didn't like. Someone here posted the video. So obviously that's Trump's "go-to" gesture when he wants to mock somebody.So What. He knew the guy and he still did it!! My God don't you understand for the tenth time?

Either way, it's a very immature, stupid way to respond to someone who disagrees with you. But it's compelling evidence that Trump wasn't mocking the guy's disability.

Now, I'm not saying that's not what Trump was doing, either. He has made fun of people for being short and for looking funny, so he's not above making fun of someone's disability. But there's a meaningful chance that's not what he was doing here.

If you want to bash Trump, you could fill the oceans with irrefutable examples of him behaving horribly. We don't need to stretch the truth to show how deeply, deeply flawed he is.

If you find that unfair, I don't know what to tell you. I can criticize him every single time he does something disgusting. I don't need to reflexively defend every single thing he does, like you guys all do with democrats. But I can also admit when he does something good. You guys can't, and that's TDS.I don't defend them and thats a lie. You post constantly and bash Dems constantly. So I pretty much ignore most of what you post. However, using a 33 years old example of Trump's generosity is too much while ignoring the self dealing w/his charities is crazy.

"And you use 000s of insulting words here - Including imbecile. So use imbecile the next time you volunteer at special olympics and see the reaction you get or one of the many words you use to insult woman "

For the second time, if you can post a link from Special Olympics saying imbecile is hate speech, I will never use that word again, and I'll feel bad for having ever used it. But I couldn't find such a news story. As we both know, I did find a clip from Special Olympics saying clearly that the language you use, does constitute hate speech towards their community.I don't care whether there is a link or not.. Trying using it there and see the reaction you get.

You used that word, not me. Your language, not mine, is universally considered to be hurtful to those people.

You're the only person on this forum that I know of, who has gone tattling to the moderators about what others (only the conservatives, naturally) have said. But you insist it's OK for you to use that word and other similar language.I didn't tattle. So your lying again. Bruce posted the rules in response to the vile posts from SeaDangles and I asked why bother posting the rules if they allow Seadangles to do what he wants and ignores the rules.

You're like the kid in school who does something, and when someone does it back to him, he goes tattling to the grown-ups. Who doesn't love the kid who does that? Right?And your an angry boy who when called out about using a 33 year old story from another century lashes out and starts insulting people. Maybe you were on your period and were menstruating (to use the word you throw out there constantly) - why are you so infatuated w/woman's periods that you mention it constantly. seems bizarre.

I don't insult "women", there's that lying again. I insulted Hilary, who is as morally bankrupt as a person can get. She married a predator, she lied to protect him (said the republicans were framing him with the Lewinski story) and then she went on national TV and slut-shamed his victims. Classy! She's a morally bankrupt c--t. See that is insulting but you think it is ok. You used to say the same type of things about Rosie D. also. but in your mind it is ok.

That's not insulting "women". It's insulting her, and she deserves it every bit as much as Trump does.

You can't admit that, because she's a democrat. That's all that matters to you.No woman deserves to be called that.

Why are all women tied to criticism of one woman? Why is it insulting all women, if I insult one woman?
I just gave you an example of someone else you insulted constantly. So you just got caught lying again.
Old 04-21-2022, 08:26 AM   #65
Jim in CT

Quote:

I just gave you an example of someone else you insulted constantly. So you just got caught lying again.
WDMSO said there’s no good in Trump.

I posted a nice story of trump donating his jet, after the commercial
airlines all told this family to go kick rocks.

you were dismissive of the story because it was old

So i posted many, many links of his recent generosity.

You said chump change for a billionaire

I agreed, but asked why you didn’t care that biden and harris were shown to be stingy.

you claimed to not know what i was referring to.

a perfect example. you deny and dismiss everything that could
make trump look like a human being. and you deny and dismiss anything that paints democrats in a negative light.

doesn’t matter what it is, the conservative is always wrong and the liberal is always right.
Old 04-21-2022, 08:35 AM   #66
Jim in CT

Quote:

"I don't care whether there is a link or not.. "

You don't care that the Special Olympics begs people not to use that word. Good for you! Don't let them tell you what to do.

"I didn't tattle. So your lying again. Bruce posted the rules in response to the vile posts from SeaDangles and I asked why bother posting the rules if they allow Seadangles to do what he wants and ignores the rules."

Oh, I see. You didn't "tattle". You merely asked the moderator why he wasn't punishing someone (naturally a conservative!) for breaking the rules. And that's very, very different from tattling, because.........

What you did, is the textbook definition of tattling.

"See that is insulting but you think it is ok."

I don't deny that I insulted Hilary. That was deliberate. I deny that I'm insulting anyone else, when I insult Hilary. When I am very obviously singling out Hilary, it's not my fault if that's traumatic for your delicate sensibilities.

Are you insulting all men when you insult Trump?

So it's OK for you to insult a specific individual. But when I do it, somehow I'm insulting the entire demographic that the person falls into.

When liberals insult, say, Sarah Palin, they are only insulting her, so that's OK. But when I insult Hilary, you say I am insulting all women.

That just reeks of consistency and common sense, Paul.

It's totally fine for you to use hate speech, but you cry to TDF when Dangles does it.

Everything is always OK when the left does it.
Old 04-21-2022, 08:44 AM   #67
PaulS

Quote:
"I don't care whether there is a link or not.. "

You don't care that the Special Olympics begs people not to use that word. Good for you! Don't let them tell you what to do.So when are you going to use the word imbecile at the next SO event?

"I didn't tattle. So your lying again. Bruce posted the rules in response to the vile posts from SeaDangles and I asked why bother posting the rules if they allow Seadangles to do what he wants and ignores the rules."

Oh, I see. You didn't "tattle". You merely asked the moderator why he wasn't punishing someone (naturally a conservative!) for breaking the rules. And that's very, very different from tattling, because.....bc the hypocrisy of his posting the rules and then ignoring them is funny....

What you did, is the textbook definition of tattling. No it's not but say what you want bc I think you are a d ick

"See that is insulting but you think it is ok."

I don't deny that I insulted Hilary. That was deliberate. I deny that I'm insulting anyone else, when I insult Hilary. When I am very obviously singling out Hilary, it's not my fault if that's traumatic for your delicate sensibilities.

Are you insulting all men when you insult Trump?

So it's OK for you to insult a specific individual. But when I do it, somehow I'm insulting the entire demographic that the person falls into.

When liberals insult, say, Sarah Palin, they are only insulting her, so that's OK. But when I insult Hilary, you say I am insulting all women.

That just reeks of consistency and common sense, Paul.

It's totally fine for you to use hate speechI used it once - far less than you used imbecile, but you cry to TDF when Dangles does it. I didn't cry I asked

Everything is always OK when the left does it.
No, one ever said it was, did they?

Last edited by PaulS; 04-21-2022 at 08:52 AM..
Old 04-21-2022, 08:47 AM   #68
PaulS

Quote:
WDMSO said there’s no good in Trump.

I posted a nice story of trump donating his jet, after the commercial
airlines all told this family to go kick rocks.

you were dismissive of the story because it was oldyes, 33 years old and for a billionaire minor

So i posted many, many links of his recent generosity.

You said chump change for a billionaireIt is

I agreed, but asked why you didn’t care that biden and harris were shown to be stingy.Bc you wrote about Trump so that is who we were talking about.

you claimed to not know what i was referring to.Not sure what you mean here

a perfect example. you deny and dismiss everything that could
make trump look like a human being. and you deny and dismiss anything that paints democrats in a negative light.

doesn’t matter what it is, the conservative is always wrong and the liberal is always right.
And his 10K donation is nothing for a billionaire. He self dealt w/his charity and was ripping it off.
Old 04-21-2022, 08:59 AM   #69
Jim in CT

Quote:
And his 10K donation is nothing for a billionaire. He self dealt w/his charity and was ripping it off.
i’m not saying Trump is a good person. you keep responding as if you somehow think that’s what i’m saying.

he has done some good things. if
you want to argue a billionaire should do more good than he does, i agree with you 100%. A hundred percent.

my intent wasn’t to show he is good. My intent was to show that juts wrong to say he’s never done anything good. My intent was to show that he has, and improved it beyond any doubt.

Saying he should do more good, is a different question. A very different question.

Everything has to be all or nothing with you guys. He has to be pure evil.

Why does trump advocate for school choice? His kids are never going to be stuck in crappy urban schools, so it’s never going to benefit him or his kids. Yet he’s passionate about school
choice.

Why?

You might argue that he’s only doing it to placate his conservative base.

But then why did he advocate for the criminal justice reform that liberals have wanted for decades, and worth noting they obama
didn’t give liberals even though the democrats controlled congress for his first 2 years?

Many conservatives hated trumps criminal justice reform, including me. But he did it.

Why?

And why can’t liberals give him credit for delivering something they have been asking for, and which Bush and Obama refused to give them?
Old 04-21-2022, 10:12 AM   #70
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
The irony is that conservative principles are actually the antidote to Trumpism. Trumpism violates norms, upends US institutions, destabilizes the transfer of power, treats corruption as a spoil of office & abuses gov’t power to punish domestic enemies. It conserves nothing.
One of the reasons I put "conservative" or "conservatism" in quotes is that it depends on who is defining what the principles of it are. Their are various and numerous definitions. It is what you want it to be.

Here is one defining list of principals for political "conservatism" provided by Congressman Mike Johnson--the rule of law, limited government, peace through strength, fiscal responsibility, free markets, and human dignity. Trump has abided by the laws until proven otherwise. He is far more for limited government than Progressives and you are.He certainly provided for American strength, he was typically fiscally responsible/irresponsible with government spending, he was more free market oriented then Progressives (even his China tariffs were an attempt to free up Trade for American products with China), and he valued human dignity more than Progressivism would, as in: "Because all men are created equal and in the image of God, every human life has inestimable dignity and value, and every person should be measured only by the content of their character. A just government protects life, honors marriage and family as the primary institutions of a healthy society, and embraces the vital cultural influences of religion and morality. Public policy should always encourage education and emphasize the virtue of hard work as a pathway out of-poverty, while public assistance programs should be reserved only for those who are truly in need. In America, everyone who plays by the rules should get a fair shot. By preserving these ideals, we will maintain the goodness of America that has been the secret to our greatness."

"Norms" have a bit of the same problem. Whose "norms"? Yours? Your political norm says that conservatism leads to tyranny.

Progressivism has been "upending," as you put it, U.S. institutions far more effectively than you think Trump has since it began gripping power.

The transfer of power has been stable, regardless of complaints and demonstrations. It's a politicized red herring to claim that Trump destabilized it, or that there is some principle of "Trumpism" to destabilize the transfer of power.

Corruption as a spoil of office and using government power to "punish" anyone, including domestic enemies are nothing new or uncommon or particularly "Trumpist." Progressives are no more pure in office than anyone else. Actually, they are pretty efficient at "punishing" their enemies.

I don't know if I am a "conservative." I have not labeled myself. Except possibly to the degree that I want to conserve many of our founding principles, especially the protection of individual liberty protected by our constitutional order.

Progressivism seeks to change that order, and create a central State that controls every aspect of our lives, dictating exactly what our rights as individuals are depending on the current whims of elitist "experts." It seems to me that you would prefer such a State.
Old 04-21-2022, 10:31 AM   #71
Pete F.
Canceled

It really is just a question of whether you believe that government should be: (A) competent, efficient and non-intrusive, or (B) discredited and ultimately destroyed.

Conservatives have always straddled between A and B. Trump just ended the straddle and went all B.
Old 04-21-2022, 01:52 PM   #72
detbuch

Quote:
It really is just a question of whether you believe that government should be: (A) competent, efficient and non-intrusive, or (B) discredited and ultimately destroyed.

Conservatives have always straddled between A and B. Trump just ended the straddle and went all B.
Most forms of government can be (A). The NAZIs were very competent and efficient.

All governments are (B). Our constitutional republican form is one of the least intrusive. Progressivism is far more intrusive than our founded constitutional order.

Your choice of what "It really is just a question of" doesn't value freedom or individual liberty or unalienable rights as part of the question. Which is right in line with Progressivism. Probably because Freedom, individual liberty, and unalienable rights mess with the efficiency of government. That's actually one of the reasons Progressivism doesn't embrace those values. Authoritarian forms of government consider it right and competent when the ruling elite "experts" distribute whatever rights it deems efficiently workable in and through the governing system they impose.
Old 04-21-2022, 02:06 PM   #73
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Most forms of government can be (A). The NAZIs were very competent and efficient.

All governments are (B). Our constitutional republican form is one of the least intrusive. Progressivism is far more intrusive than our founded constitutional order.

Your choice of what "It really is just a question of" doesn't value freedom or individual liberty or unalienable rights as part of the question. Which is right in line with Progressivism. Probably because Freedom, individual liberty, and unalienable rights mess with the efficiency of government. That's actually one of the reasons Progressivism doesn't embrace those values. Authoritarian forms of government consider it right and competent when the ruling elite "experts" distribute whatever rights it deems efficiently workable in and through the governing system they impose.
You always seem confused about what you think the founders thought and where we are close to 250 years later.

As in what books, marriages, speech and religions are allowable?
Qualified immunity for police so they can be above the law?
Government control of corporate decisions as in Floriduh?
Political parties having control of government?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-21-2022, 02:39 PM   #74
detbuch

Quote:
You always seem confused about what you think the founders thought and where we are close to 250 years later.

Political parties having control of government?
What I am confused about is your point.
Old 04-21-2022, 04:41 PM   #75
Pete F.
Canceled

You keep claiming to have the simple answers, meanwhile your party had years to pass an alternative to “Obamacare”
Never did it
Had years to pas an infrastructure bill
Never did it
Had years to change the status in the Middle East
Never did it
Governing isn’t attacking the other side.
Governing is getting #^&#^&#^&#^& done.
The Trumplicans or Christian Dominionists are not a governing party, because they’re all about power and it’s not that they're particularly religious really--they just want to use belief as a means to force a restrictive society in which they are on top and they can go after people they dislike.
Old 04-21-2022, 06:31 PM   #76
detbuch

Quote:
You keep claiming to have the simple answers,

Your lack of specificity leaves no basis for a reply.
WTF are you talking about?

meanwhile your party

It's not my party. It's the lesser (much lesser) of two evils.

had years to pass an alternative to “Obamacare”
Never did it

I don't want an alternative. I don't want the federal government mandating any form of health care. If the people want government health care it should be left to the individual states and their citizens to concoct it.

Had years to pas an infrastructure bill
Never did it

Party politics is a b*tch. I would like the federal government to pass a whole lot less bills. Passing bills is an area that I want the fed to get a lot less "done." If the need for a bill that the fed is constitutionally responsible for is really needed, ALL parties should get together and make it so.

Had years to change the status in the Middle East
Never did it

The status in the Middle East is ever changing and it is not the sole responsibility of American government to dictate the change. Several administrations of both parties claimed they had "solved" something there that they actually didn't. I assume by change there you mean make it better there for the US. I don't think that's doable until the people of the Middle East have a major change in their culture and religion. Unless you want us to go in there like the Communists and other dictatorial, authoritarian, despotic regimes have done throughout history and just destroy those countries and "nation build."

Governing isn’t attacking the other side.
Governing is getting #^&#^&#^&#^& done.

Depends on the type of government. Our constitutional system is geared to leaving most of the "getting things done" in the hands of the people first, their local and state governments responding to the people's will second, and a distant third to the federal government taking care of the very limited responsibilities given to it in the constitution.

Your authoritarian Progressive idea of government getting things done is the federal or some central government authority lording over the entire country and telling us what needs to "get done." And spending exorbitant amounts of money, and creating scads of regulatory agencies and thousands of bills to "get done" stuff whether the people want it or need it or could do it better at local levels. And getting the entire country constantly into greater unsustainable debt. And leaving less and less room, in the midst of this constant getting things done, for the people's expression of their once unalienable rights.

The Trumplicans or Christian Dominionists are not a governing party, because they’re all about power and it’s not that they're particularly religious really--they just want to use belief as a means to force a restrictive society in which they are on top and they can go after people they dislike.
Actually, Christians and Theists never wanted to be an earthly, secular, governing party. They did want a society in which they were free to practice their religion and godly beliefs. That's one of the main reasons they created a governing document that made sacrosanct all the individual rights that they did not grant government power over.

PeteFicans see that as an impediment to competent and efficient government, and see centralized authoritarian government as the solution to whatever ails us--and "as a means to force a restrictive society in which they are on top and they can go after people they dislike"--and so much more. That is the efficient, competent, beauty of the Progressive way.

And what does all that nonsense have to do with your point in "You always seem confused about what you think the founders thought and where we are close to 250 years later.

Political parties having control of government?"

I still don't see whatever point you were making with that unhinged cluster of words.

Last edited by detbuch; 04-21-2022 at 07:08 PM..
Old 04-21-2022, 08:17 PM   #77
Pete F.
Canceled

Not very observant are you
There’s a party that wants to control books that are allowed, who’s allowed to marry, what’s acceptable speech and what religions are permissible.
Supports qualified immunity.
Thinks that financial retribution is appropriate reaction to criticism of a political act.
And as McConnell said, one party places itself above country.
Old 04-21-2022, 10:24 PM   #78
detbuch

Quote:
Not very observant are you
There’s a party that wants to control books that are allowed,

I don't know which party wants to control books or not allow books. As far as which books are in public schools, that's a local issue, and rightly so. I don't know which party or which constituents in our various local districts throughout the US would allow every and any book in their public school systems. And selectivity of books has always been part of our public and private school systems.

I would guess that Democrat or Progressive school systems would not allow books that had anti-lgbtqetc. content, among others.

who’s allowed to marry,

Don't know which party prescribes who can marry. Their are differences in legal conceptions of what marriage is.
For purposes of supporting and sustaining the birth of children in order to be able to generate and maintain society, specified requirements were created by our government(s). It was taken for granted that a union of a man and a woman was needed to create children. Now, of course, men can be women, so the distinction no longer seems to be necessary as, no doubt, men who identify as women can menstruate and so must be able to have babies. Progressives, as you see, follow the science.

In any case, it was not a party issue whether any two or more people could have some ceremony that says they are married. It simply wasn't a legally binding "marriage" and could not, if the brides and grooms were the same sex, tap into government resources which were meant to support child bearing.

Although I understand the child bearing argument, I don't think government, certainly not the federal government, should regulate marriage.

what’s acceptable speech

Concern for which party wants to decide what's acceptable speech coming from you is amazing. You have stated that conservatism should not be tolerated. That conservative speech should be ignored, not given any tolerance or consideration. And that point of view holds sway with our Progressive cancel culture which shouts down conservative speakers on campus, and the canceling is mostly backed by the Progressive university and college administrators. Conservative speech is more likely to be censored on social media. Anti-lgbtqetc. speech is not allowed in our public and higher education systems, or social media, or legacy media--most all of which are Progressive (Democrat). And Progressives definitely do not consider racist speech acceptable and they have made racism out of things that do not actually pertain to what used to be considered race. Almost everything for them can somehow be considered racial. Their pet Critical Race Theory centers race as the reason for all inequality in America.

In the case of "what's acceptable speech" part of the Progressive tactical procedure is to command the redefinition of societally critical words, such as racism--command the language and you command the discourse. Commanding what words mean and which words are acceptable will determine what acceptable speech is.

and what religions are permissible.

Progressivism, socialism, communism, and to a great extant if we are honest about it, the Democrat Party are anti-religion. As for conservatives, all religions are "permissible" so long as they do not espouse and encourage the destruction of our constitutional order. That would apply to any group, religious or not.

Supports qualified immunity.

Democrats certainly say they are against it more than Republicans do.

Thinks that financial retribution is appropriate reaction to criticism of a political act.

It could well be, depending on the circumstances. Of course, labeling it "financial retribution" could be inappropriate. And "criticism" of a political act could be more than that, it could be an attempt to sabotage the act, and the act could be supported by the people. And the critic/saboteur could be a giant corporation, an oligarch that influences government and people at all levels and benefits from Citizens United--which should make it a controller of government that you disapprove of.

And as McConnell said, one party places itself above country.
We know how you love McConnell.
Old 04-22-2022, 05:00 AM   #79
Pete F.
Canceled

Pres Trump: “We grew the conservative movement into a working people’s movement… And we are never ever going back… Our movement must continue to pursue a populist-nationalist economic agenda that puts working families before globalist politicians…”
Old 04-22-2022, 08:10 AM   #80
Pete F.
Canceled

You can always follow the money

Ron DeSantis has banned all K-5 math textbook publishers from the state of Florida except one: the company owned by fellow GOP governor Glenn Youngkin's private equity firm.
Old 04-22-2022, 08:56 AM   #81
Pete F.
Canceled

The alleged conservatives here have claimed for years that the private sector does things better than government. Reedy Creek is a great example of this. Republicans have now abandoned that philosophy over their hurt feelings.
Locals joke when they cross over into Disney property how the roads are flawlessly smooth asphalt. “Why can’t Mickey take over I-4?”

Maybe Disney will secede from Floriduh, though since DeathSantis only won by 32,000 votes in 2018, there’s 80,000 Disney employees in Florida and 70,000 Floridians died of COVID…….I would guess they’ll let him be like Jafar and watch him turn himself into a Genie in a bottle

Old 04-22-2022, 09:23 AM   #82
scottw

Quote:

Maybe Disney will secede from Floriduh

Key West did in the early 80's....they still celebrate it
Old 04-22-2022, 01:55 PM   #83
detbuch

Quote:
You can always follow the money

Ron DeSantis has banned all K-5 math textbook publishers from the state of Florida except one: the company owned by fellow GOP governor Glenn Youngkin's private equity firm.
Apparently that was the only publisher that didn't have inappropriate content. Good choice.
Old 04-22-2022, 02:05 PM   #84
detbuch

Quote:
The alleged conservatives here have claimed for years that the private sector does things better than government. Reedy Creek is a great example of this. Republicans have now abandoned that philosophy over their hurt feelings.
Locals joke when they cross over into Disney property how the roads are flawlessly smooth asphalt. “Why can’t Mickey take over I-4?”

Maybe Disney will secede from Floriduh, though since DeathSantis only won by 32,000 votes in 2018, there’s 80,000 Disney employees in Florida and 70,000 Floridians died of COVID…….I would guess they’ll let him be like Jafar and watch him turn himself into a Genie in a bottle

]
Hypocrite anti-corporations-running-government Pete sides with huge corporation and gleefully suggesting it secedes and creates its own corporately run government. And he so deftly demonstrates how the private sector does things better than the government--even though he is in favor of authoritarian government "getting things done."
Old 04-24-2022, 04:43 AM   #85
Pete F.
Canceled

Yea, fascism works well

Gov. Greg Abbott's "enhanced" truck inspections turned up zero drugs or migrants, but cost Texas consumers and businesses an estimated $4.2 billion.
Delays resulted in $240 million in spoiled produce alone.
Old 04-24-2022, 09:11 AM   #86
detbuch

Quote:
Yea, fascism works well

Gov. Greg Abbott's "enhanced" truck inspections turned up zero drugs or migrants, but cost Texas consumers and businesses an estimated $4.2 billion.
Not fascism. But you would probably prefer fascism.
Old 04-24-2022, 10:09 AM   #87
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Yea, fascism works well

The conservatism of DeSantis and Abbott is perfectly recognizable. It’s not the American conservatism of Reagan to Romney (which may well prove an anomaly in the history of conservatism), it’s the European conservatism of the 1920s and early 1930s.

The $4.2 billion that Greg Abbott burned at the border could have fixed the Texas power grid.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-24-2022, 06:41 PM   #88
detbuch

Quote:
The conservatism of DeSantis and Abbott is perfectly recognizable. It’s not the American conservatism of Reagan to Romney (which may well prove an anomaly in the history of conservatism), it’s the European conservatism of the 1920s and early 1930s.

The quality or character of "conservatism" in different decades of American history changed with the social and political challenge that it faced in each era. The political persuasions of DeSantis and Abbot far more resemble Reagan and Romney's "conservatism" than that of Biden and the Dems.

My favorite 20th century "conservative" President was Coolidge. Reagan was close at number 2. They faced different qualities of Progressive leftism. Coolidge fought a Wilsonian Progressivism still somewhat linked to the Constitution and to traditional social and religious values. Reagan's nemesis was the more entrenched Progressivism of the "living, breathing" Constitution created by the FDR administration with its deep infiltration by the Communist Party, and a Democrat Party that had progressed much farther to the left of Wilsons and still had various roots in its FDR era ties to communism.

The "conservatives" of today are up against a thoroughly anti-constitutional, unlimited power Progressive from of government in the Democrat Party which still has ties with the Communist Party, and has created a regulatory system that favors the rise and dominance of both government and corporate centralization--and the symbiosis of both behemoths into a fascistic government, corporate, media, military complex that has a stranglehold on the governance of this country.

The struggle of "conservatism" today is preserving what is left of constitutional limitations on central power, and recovering, bit by bit, the constitutional power of state and local governments and the regrowth of individual unalienable rights that have withered through the onslaught of federally, unconstitutional, rights of centralized (collective) groups.

The comparison is more correctly between eras of "conservatism" in this country than between current American "conservatism" to various eras of European "conservatism" which is far more centralized on a national level than American "conservatism." DeSantis and Abbot "conservatism," whatever that may be, can only be expressed at state levels and may not reflect or even have a connection to national "conservatism" in terms of federal policy. The rise of a Hitler or Mussolini would be very difficult here. Nor even in Texas or Florida. I see no real connection between Abbot and DeSantis to Hitler.

Actually, the only way a totalitarian government can be implanted here is by scrapping the Constitution, or by "interpreting" it out of original existence into some authoritarian governing document, or just disregarding it. Any of those is precisely a goal of the Progressive agenda.

The $4.2 billion that Greg Abbott burned at the border could have fixed the Texas power grid.
30 trillion++ debt that the federal government has burned by overspending could have "fixed" a whole lot more than the Texas power grid.

The federal government consistently spends more than it takes in (and it takes in more than it constitutionally should). Texas is among the most fiscally responsible states. According to Invester's Business Daily--"Alaska leads all states in money socked away. Other states that took in considerably more than they spent included North Dakota, Wyoming, Utah, Montana, Idaho, and Texas."
Old 04-25-2022, 02:06 AM   #89
Pete F.
Canceled

Here is something fascinating to me: Macron had nearly exact same job approval rating as President Biden does today and he just won 58% of the vote.
Old 04-25-2022, 09:20 AM   #90
detbuch

Quote:
Here is something fascinating to me: Macron had nearly exact same job approval rating as President Biden does today and he just won 58% of the vote.
Does it fascinate you that if Biden and the Dems get reelected we will become more like France?