Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

I think we need to cut this guy some slack. I don't think he's a moron and based what he's going through with his illness and his deadpan sense of comedy this was taken the wrong way by many. I guess he has a good sense of humor but in a very dry way.

Johnson’s office said the boss is simply a tremendous deadpan — and that he was using a facetious metaphor.

Here’s a formal response from Johnson, via his spokesman:

“I wasn’t suggesting that the island of Guam would literally tip over,” said Johnson. “I was using a metaphor to say that with the addition of 8,000 Marines and their dependents – an additional 80,000 people during peak construction to the port on the tiny island with a population of 180,000 – could be a tipping point which would adversely affect the island’s fragile ecosystem and over burden its already overstressed infrastructure.

“Having traveled to Guam last year, I saw firsthand how this beautiful – but vulnerable island – is already overburdened, and I was simply voicing my concerns that the addition of that many people could tip the delicate balance and do harm to Guam.”

Next time, Johnson might want to smile when he says that.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 04-02-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshCappa View Post
I think we need to cut this guy some slack. I don't think he's a moron and based what he's going through with his illness and his deadpan sense of comedy this was taken the wrong way by many. I guess he has a good sense of humor but in a very dry way.

Johnson’s office said the boss is simply a tremendous deadpan — and that he was using a facetious metaphor.

Here’s a formal response from Johnson, via his spokesman:

“I wasn’t suggesting that the island of Guam would literally tip over,” said Johnson. “I was using a metaphor to say that with the addition of 8,000 Marines and their dependents – an additional 80,000 people during peak construction to the port on the tiny island with a population of 180,000 – could be a tipping point which would adversely affect the island’s fragile ecosystem and over burden its already overstressed infrastructure.

“Having traveled to Guam last year, I saw firsthand how this beautiful – but vulnerable island – is already overburdened, and I was simply voicing my concerns that the addition of that many people could tip the delicate balance and do harm to Guam.”

Next time, Johnson might want to smile when he says that.
So it wasn't his illness..it was a joke. I'm sure the Admiral has nothing better to do then answer questions from a funny guy. Brilliant sense of humor for someone suffering with Hep C. I'm not buying it, but then I didn't fall for Obama either.
Well at least I'm not poking fun at the Special Olympics. That would be indefensible.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
So it wasn't his illness..it was a joke. I'm sure the Admiral has nothing better to do then answer questions from a funny guy. Brilliant sense of humor for someone suffering with Hep C. I'm not buying it, but then I didn't fall for Obama either.
Well at least I'm not poking fun at the Special Olympics. That would be indefensible.
While I agree with you, it's horribly difficult for me to because it's impossible for you to make a point without bringing up Obama.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
While I agree with you, it's horribly difficult for me to because it's impossible for you to make a point without bringing up Obama.
You and I agree alot
Old 04-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
spence

Quote:
So you don't understand the difference between a joke and a metaphor?

Quote:
You're not far from it.

-spence
Old 04-02-2010, 04:23 PM   #6
basenjib123

Remember "bring it on"?

I clearly remember GW Bush being crucified by the mainstream media for being "inflammatory" when he said during the Iraq war to the terrorist insurgents to "BRING IT ON".....Now Obama can say to HIS FELLOW CITIZENS REGARDING THE HEALTH BILL...."BRING IT ON"..."JUST GO FOR IT AND TRY TO REPEAL THIS BILL"??? .... talk about double standards. Can you imagine GW Bush coming to MA. and not R.I. for the floods?? yet, we do not hear a word about this act from the vermin in the media about Obama pulling this stunt? I guess Obama must HATE Rhode Islanders, huh? The hypocrisy of Liberals is sickening.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:30 PM   #7
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
So you don't understand the difference between a joke and a metaphor?

You're not far from it.

-spence
No one is claiming his illness had anything to do with this Spence,not even Johnson himself. Yet you seem to push his illness as an excuse.
Maybe you are the one who has issues with Hep C. I don't. GOT IT????

Last edited by buckman; 04-02-2010 at 04:45 PM..
Old 04-02-2010, 04:36 PM   #8
spence

Quote:
No one is claiming his illness had anything to do with this Spence,not even Johnson himself. Yey you semm to push his illness as an excuse.
Maybe you are the one who has issues with Hep C. I don't. GOT IT????
There are numerous articles discussing how his illness has impacted his speech and ability to express himself. Additionally, I wouldn't expect a sitting member of Congress to be making excuses.

So one can only be left to think that you believe the man a moron for other reasons? Certainly using the "tipping point" metaphor to inquire as to the level military planning on the ability of a small island to absorb US troop presence isn't why you think the man is no genius...

Is it?

-spence
Old 04-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #9
basenjib123

Hank Johnson:

...AFFIRMATIVE ACTION STRIKES AGAIN!!
Old 04-02-2010, 05:14 PM   #10
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
There are numerous articles discussing how his illness has impacted his speech and ability to express himself. Additionally, I wouldn't expect a sitting member of Congress to be making excuses.

So one can only be left to think that you believe the man a moron for other reasons? Certainly using the "tipping point" metaphor to inquire as to the level military planning on the ability of a small island to absorb US troop presence isn't why you think the man is no genius...

Is it?

-spence
Metaphor again????? I thought it was dead pan humor
I believe you suffer from lackofhumoritas. Sad....so sad
Old 04-02-2010, 05:34 PM   #11
spence

Quote:
Metaphor again????? I thought it was dead pan humor
I believe you suffer from lackofhumoritas. Sad....so sad
MarshCappa said it was humor, the quote said it was a metaphor.

Be it poorly executed humor or a perfectly appropriate metaphor, and considering his condition, you still think on this alone he's a moron?

Do you think it's unreasonable to ask the DoD if they've done their homework?

-spence