Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 01-29-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
MrHunters
What was that!?!

pattern question

if you stay on the same side of the thread going up and down...say the right side... it creates a V as apposed to opposites sides which creats a diamond.....

is that right?
MrHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #2
JeffH
Boat by Day Surf by Night

If you lay down the first thread and then lay threads only to the tip or butt side of the first thread you get a Chevron (V). The direction the V points is whether you are tip side or butt side. Threads to the tip side V points to the tip. If you alternate tip side then butt side of first thread you get a diamond. There are two threads per pass one spinning the rod in one direction and the other in the opposite direction to make the V shape. Play with a couple of threads and you will see the pattern take shape. I wrap one thread at a time to get a cleaner tighter pattern.
JeffH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
MrHunters
What was that!?!

tip side / butt side makes way more sense than right left. things just got clearer......

i think

thanks
Old 01-29-2008, 03:02 PM   #4
Saltheart

Jeff has the best idea. Just sit down and do some. The lightbulb will go on fairly quickly.

Diamonds , chevrons , singles , doubles , quads , open closed , part open part closed , reciprical spacing , etc , etc. It all is mind boggling to read but suddenly makes sense when you actually lay down some thread.

Like Jeff , I like to lay down one thread at a time with bobbins. I do sometimes cheat with black fill on a closed wrap but mostly 1 at a time gives a better look and makes the toughest job (packing) go much faster

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:16 PM   #5
MrHunters
What was that!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post

Diamonds , chevrons , singles , doubles , quads , open closed , part open part closed , reciprical spacing , etc , etc. It all is mind boggling to read but suddenly makes sense when you actually lay down some thread.
:e ek:

i think that about covers it.