Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 07-29-2006, 10:46 AM   #1
Flaptail

Unhappy A personal dilemma....

In the past week I have hooked fought and landed fish that would have easily given me a pin for the OTW Tourney in multiples. Trouble is I thought I would have no trouble bringing these fish to the scales, but I cannot bring myself to weigh them in even though weighed and measured I know they would place easily. Man, talk about conundrums. Needless to say they are all (hopefully) still swimming.

I see the names and weights posted on the leader board standings and yet I cannot bring myself to kill these fish. 30 pounds is not a big fish in my eyes. That's left over from when I killed many fish for market. Forty pounders are a rare commodity from shore. The demons in my head say hang em on the hook but I cannot do it.

I am a mess.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:51 AM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaptail
In the past week I have hooked fought and landed fish that would have easily given me a pin for the OTW Tourney in multiples. Trouble is I thought I would have no trouble bringing these fish to the scales, but I cannot bring myself to weigh them in even though weighed and measured I know they would place easily. Man, talk about conundrums. Needless to say they are all (hopefully) still swimming.

I see the names and weights posted on the leader board standings and yet I cannot bring myself to kill these fish. 30 pounds is not a big fish in my eyes. That's left over from when I killed many fish for market. Forty pounders are a rare commodity from shore. The demons in my head say hang em on the hook but I cannot do it.

I am a mess.

Yep - the way I look at it, if I'm going to keep a fish for the Tourney that will get properly used, OK. But not every stinkin' fish / opportunity available.

Vote your heart & mind....

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 11:02 AM   #3
CJ Johnson

You're admirable. Not many people can see beyond the 5 minutes of glory they will live in, to the greater rewards that sacrifice will give them.

By releasing those fish you will reap the reward of having many more large fish to fight and land in the future.
CJ Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 11:16 AM   #4
Slipknot
Super Moderator

The way I see it is, a caught and released fish has a much better chance of living if let go back in the sea, than in a cooler.
I also don't like to look at it like the nice fish I just let go, might end up dead in a few days to some comm. fisherman anyway. So I just make up my mind as to whether or not we can use it for food and if I have the right stuff to keep it cool.
If you are looking for a 40 or 50 pin, then when the time comes, you'll know what to do. Do they give out 350 lb pins for seals is what I want to know?

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 11:34 AM   #5
fcap60
Frank Capone

Flaptail.
What's the dilemma ? Just keep doing what you are doing (the right thing)
fcap60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 11:48 AM   #6
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Weigh in one 30....and let the rest go...wait for a forty and weigh it....you eat them right Steve?

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 11:51 AM   #7
BMEUPSCOTTY

I guess it's all relative. I've never caught a 30 in my life, and right now it will take 33 to make the board for our team, who could use the help as it seems we have fallen to 4th. I definitely would have kept that $25 in my pocket if I thought I couldn't bring myself to weigh a fish. I don' have the guilt of an ex-comm. guy either, so I can't really relate. I have never even seen a 30 pound fish in person.
With the condition of the teen and twenty fish I have caught lately, I know there is no way that a thirty pound fish that I catch will survive.
Am I an a****** because I can't afford a new more powerfull rig so I can hydroplane these fish in as fast as possible just to release them? I still have a love of the fight; that seems to be just celebrating the strike and hook up.

I think you are doing the right thing, for you. I don't really feel qualified to comment. We are at much diffferent stages of our fishing career..

ps It may have been hard not to weigh them in, but it proved impossible not to tell anyone about them. Maybe that is the next level ...

Last edited by BMEUPSCOTTY; 07-29-2006 at 12:13 PM..
BMEUPSCOTTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 12:26 PM   #8
Joe

I heard you use performance enhancing drugs to aid you in your fishing - so even if you won, you would most likely be disqualified shortly after.

You're always better off going with your instincts. Fish mortality aside, for you, as a writer, I see several downsides.

I'm not in the tourney and I'm neutral on whether or not a person participates.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 12:46 PM   #9
NIB

Oh Sh!t,the cats out of the bag.
I have naturally high levels of testosterone.
Do what makes u happy.
I'm in it up to my neck.Now..
Not sure I feel good about it myself.I think ur doing the right thing.
Bringing back the schaefer tourney seemed like a good idea in March. 146 lbs later I'm not really sure.

FORE!
It's usually darkest just before it turns Black..
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 12:48 PM   #10
stiff tip

steve u know the rules"""if u cant sell it let it go"""cause u know u aint gonna eat it.. n screw given it to the the guy next door...... set the goal high 50s or better..
stiff tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 12:53 PM   #11
BMEUPSCOTTY

Now look what you've done. Hang in there Tony, we can feel bad and drink a toast to those bass in October. Wasn't that the f****** idea in the first place?? I remember a lot of discussion before it was decided for S-B to field a team, maybe not enough discussion??!?!?!
BMEUPSCOTTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 12:56 PM   #12
partsjay
Let's Rock!

I haven't kept a fish yet this year.....that being said, if I get one that can help the team....I'll weight it...I also am craving some striper..so the next one goes in the pan. I've never met you in person Flap....but I am a fan of your work.....I'm sure you'll do whats right for you.
partsjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 12:57 PM   #13
vineyardblues

Flap,
As I remember u saying your largest is 49 lbs same is me!
Wait for the 50 And keep pluging
VB
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 12:58 PM   #14
CAL
I need spring!

Flap, that's why I don't like tourneys. Makes people think twice about killing a fish they would otherwise let go.

The way I see it, if you don't intend to eat it and it's not going to break a personal best for you, then release it.

Who cares about getting a pin for a fish when you've probably caught hundreds of others just like it? I know with your reputation you don't need that.

Good for you for letting them go

Me, on the other hand, I haven't broken 34# yet so I would have taken them home
CAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 01:18 PM   #15
Slingah

I used to think I had something to prove by killing almost every 30+# fish I caught..who knows maybe I did....but my thoughts have changed..in the past few years since my personal best Ive let almost every large go and the ones that Ive kept probaly were not going to make it anyhow......
so to your question Flap I'd say you definatly have nothing to prove so why question yourself...if it's gonna make you feel like crap...let them go... it feels better watching them swim away
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 01:24 PM   #16
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaptail

I am a mess.
Seeing you can only weigh one per week Flap, it would be no big deal if you put one on the board.It's personal preference. If you're catching all these fish from the surf, good for you. 30 plus from the surf right now is a good one. If they are boat fish, then...
Actually, it looks like the boat heavy fishing clubs are gonna be all 40 plus pound entries by the end of this OTW thing. I'd probably throw them back too if they were less than that and I was in my boat.

Last edited by Back Beach; 07-29-2006 at 01:32 PM..

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Where all the fish is blind
Back Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 02:18 PM   #17
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

Personal dilemma??? codfish cakes..how about not being able to go fishing at all.....be happy to trade places with you.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 03:24 PM   #18
blue oyster

my hats off to you , to many fish killed in these long turnaments , although i have not broke the 30# mark yet i think i have been close but i will never know they all go back unless there is no chance of survival
blue oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:06 PM   #19
Flaptail

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by capesams
Personal dilemma??? codfish cakes..how about not being able to go fishing at all.....be happy to trade places with you.
Call me Steve, I would be happy to take you but you would have to come to the other end of the Cape, you know the part nearer the United States! Oh and you would have to like Geology, especially the study of Glacial till and the remants there of and granite, quartz, shale and minimal sand. Boats are involved but not for the fishing.

Why even try.........
Old 07-29-2006, 07:23 PM   #20
Flaptail

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
I heard you use performance enhancing drugs to aid you in your fishing - so even if you won, you would most likely be disqualified shortly after.

You're always better off going with your instincts. Fish mortality aside, for you, as a writer, I see several downsides.

I'm not in the tourney and I'm neutral on whether or not a person participates.
Joe, the stuff I use is strictly all natural!

Why even try.........
Old 07-29-2006, 07:26 PM   #21
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

AH! ya just bustin my nuts...oops! to late gotta sit this season out on the sidelines..one wrong slip an I'd be sushi forever.Catch one up for the grump.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:26 PM   #22
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Cool

Flap, how old were you on your last B day. Could be your entering the "reverence for life period".

Not a bad thing, not a bad thing for sure.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:28 PM   #23
Skitterpop

Flap...I`m a newbie / virgin compared to you and I signed up for this OTW tourney....my first and last.

Best wishes with your `s

Mike

Good health and family
Skitterpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:08 AM   #24
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Funny how are thoughts and values change as the years roll on . Younger days a fish may be considered swimming meat . After fishing through the early 80's colapse and the 90's rebound we see things different . Then there's are own mortality. I can only fish my conscience and whos to say I'm right, but I can live with it . Killing for the right reason . Not wasting a fish . If people are eating the fish its not wasted, but is that why I killed it ? To feed the hungry ? Thats where the conscience thing makes you feel like crap . There's plenty of people taking shorts,drop kicking them back , ripping there guts out to save a hook . Thats cut and dry , we can all agree that sucks .. This other stuff is up to the individaul . Flap ,,you've been collecting lures and fishing since you were a little kid , You've fished all the spots , Fished with all the heavies, and wright for a major publication . Fishing has been your life . Do what you think is right . You have no one to impress . I really appreciate Nibs honesty.. always did . All that being said . I catch a 50 I'm keeping it .. My conscience alows it . I hate long post..
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:41 AM   #25
Clammer

Steve // ta f #$%^&* // do what your heart feels //

bUt there are tons of people that would would & could use a fish in a big way ;;
there is a bait shop in RI that takes fish as donations // from what I,ve heard /its been a great success & has no trouble getting the fish to the needy ;;

just a thought ===== thanks for the trip

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:13 AM   #26
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

same here. i got a fourty pounder easy' a few weeks ago at 1:00 in the morning. i'm paid up for the striper cup so the first thing went thru my head is "ohh yeah"that fish is gunna get me a pin". i'm killing it!!! no though to it at all,,, he's mine... then,,, reality sets in...
just as life is sucked out of the fish dying on the deck..
i'm like 'wtf' did i do that for?
can't weigh the thing in till morning, no wait,, i'm going offshore in the morining...
can't weigh it till the next night..
my local place doesn't weigh for the striper cup. so 30 miles to the next place..
kooler ain't big enough to keep it fresh..

darnit'.
i gutted it, iced it down, ate 1/2, and gave the rest to friends and family..

thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:44 AM   #27
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Keeping big fish is a pain in the butt. It's bad enough if you are on a boat with ice, a water pump, and someplace solid to clean 'em. You've still got to peddle most of it away. But to throw a big fish on a beach in the summer heat, even at night, fish for hours more, then have to lug the thing out and deal with it after you have been up all night has no appeal to me. Releasing them is much simpler and more satisfying to boot.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:55 AM   #28
Flaptail

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by capesams
AH! ya just bustin my nuts...oops! to late gotta sit this season out on the sidelines..one wrong slip an I'd be sushi forever.Catch one up for the grump.
What part failed you now! It sucks to get old, just ask Clammer! Still the fall is coming and if you are healed call me.

Why even try.........
Old 07-30-2006, 11:27 AM   #29
Slingah

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull
Keeping big fish is a pain in the butt. It's bad enough if you are on a boat with ice, a water pump, and someplace solid to clean 'em. You've still got to peddle most of it away. But to throw a big fish on a beach in the summer heat, even at night, fish for hours more, then have to lug the thing out and deal with it after you have been up all night has no appeal to me. Releasing them is much simpler and more satisfying to boot.
how true.....
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:40 AM   #30
libassboy

I havent kept any fis yet this year, if i get something above my personal best i will tho. Once you get over the i have something to prove to myself deal and get a few 30 and up, its alot nicer to watch them swim away. Now if i get a 50..u can bet ure arse im keepin it.
libassboy is offline   Reply With Quote