Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-13-2005, 05:07 PM   #1
ROCFISH

Talking Basswood

I just purchased a quantity of basswood on ebay. I understand its an easy wood to work with and I know its used for fresh water plugs alot. My question is, I never hear you guys talking about basswood, Is there a problem in saltwater applications?
Do any of you have experience with basswood?
And finally, since its 1" stock, I'd like to glue some up for 2" Pikies.
Is this advisable, and what kind of glue is best.
I'm wondering if it will be safe to turn glued up lumber.
I believe someone mentioned doing this before, but I'd like a little reassurance.
Thanks, I know some of you guys will have the answers.
ROCFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 06:16 PM   #2
ed morini

basswood

Rocfish, I don't see any reason for not using basswood. It is not mentioned much because traditionaly, other woods are more popular. It turns and carves very easily, has very little grain distiction, sands and holds finishes very well. If there ares any shortcomings, it is that it is very light, requiring weight for the desired action and it dents easily.
Glueing your stock should not present any problem... you can use a polyurethane glue ("Gorilla Glue"), epoxy(2:1 resin to hardener) and might want to try the new TypeIII waterproof. I would recommend the epoxy as its reliability is well documented. The urethane glues also work very but they ususally "foam up" at the glue joint, which when removed may give you a porous glue line that may require some filling.
Turning the glued stock would not present any problem at all, provided the adhesive used was fully set. After your turning is complete and you are ready to seal your plug, you may want to consider using epoxy again as the sealer. A trick here is to heat the plug (NOT the epoxy) as the plug cures the trapped air in the cell walls will contract and the epoxy will be pulled further into the grain. This will make the plug a little heavier and more resistant to toothy critters. Hope this answers your questions.
ed morini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 06:20 PM   #3
Karl F

Captain Andy Lures (Bob Andrews) were all made out of Basswood.
Nice tight grain, seal it well, as it will get waterlogged if you don't.
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote