Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 12-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
iamskippy

132 -1L question

I have a 1321L that was freshly re wrapped by CMS a bit ago, i only fished it once.

My question is - its currently a 5 +1 with regular type guides, if this rod was to be re wrapped with concepts or K's what would that do to the performance of the rod.

I find the rod to be a little to whippy for me as i love my 1326 and 1327 centurys.

If a friend of mine doesnt purchase it, i am considering re wrapping it if it can get me what i want.

What i am looking for is to toss 1-4 oz and to be able to work a pencil, spook metal lip and work a bucktail.
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
spence

Cut about 4 to 6" off the tip. Will void the warranty but give you a sweet stick.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
DZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Cut about 4 to 6" off the tip. Will void the warranty but give you a sweet stick.
But do this only one inch at a time - then string an appropriate plug to see how it flexes.

DZ

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
Saltheart

Rewrapping it with KW guides will not do what you want. Cutting it as suggested will but I think you should sell it as is, Some people want exactly what the 1321L you have offers in action and power. Seems to me you have the listed lures covered with the two Century models you listed.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
iamskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
Rewrapping it with KW guides will not do what you want. Cutting it as suggested will but I think you should sell it as is, Some people want exactly what the 1321L you have offers in action and power. Seems to me you have the listed lures covered with the two Century models you listed.
I used the 1326 but i want something a little lighter for a zee25.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

LC guides will stiffen it up a bit, that's what I did on my s2, the longer frames help the rod tighten up a bit.

Most people take 6" off the tip to get rid of the whippiness.

Or 6" from each end and make it a 10ft
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #7
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

I think you are asking for too much from that blank.

I have a 1321L which I have built/rebuilt 3x. First COF 50-12, then full Lowriders, and lastly Modified K concept. The last is by far the best. Even then I don't find the rod very useful, however.

My feeling about the 1321L is that it was designed as a big beach, big surf, Rebel/Redfin rod (in calmer conditions a 9-10ft rod is better). It is also a good pencil rod for plugs under 2.75 oz. Supposedly it is also good surf small bucktail rod. It is not a rod you want to use in current. For most plugging with 2-4oz stuff the 1321M is a better choice and can be built nearly as light.

Cutting the blank, or trying to stiffen it with large heavy guides makes little sense to me. Back in the day they used to take 4" off the tip and call it a "Block Island plug rod"……..but back in the day I think they were throwing redfins and 1.5 oz needles with it, not 3-4oz swimmers.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #8
iamskippy

Great info and feedback guys thanks.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:51 PM   #9
Chunkah

I don't know, I throw plugs from SP Minnows to big swimmers that weigh 4+ ounces with my L at the canal and love it. Pencils, spooks, poppers, northbars, darters....no issues. Have landed 30 pound class fish in ripping current with it...personally I love the rod. The only issue is jigging with it....can't jig the canal with her, but that is another setup altogether anyway.

Chunkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:02 AM   #10
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Have you tried the 1321M for comparison? I think it is much better for what you are doing.

Like all GSB's the 1321L is a very versatile rod and obviously can passably do all you describe but throwing 4 oz and fighting large fish in current (where it bends to your top hand) is not its forte. Still, it is no wimp and plenty of #50 bass have been beaten by one from the surf.

I have both rods and if someone wants to try them side by side just let me know.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:16 PM   #11
Chunkah

I actually have a buddy I fish with a lot who has an M and loves it....it is a great rod, and for that reason I actually bought one from Professor M and used it for a bit but found it to be heavy and too stiff....probably because I am used to my L! Sold the M a few months later. I love my L off the beach too.

Chunkah is offline   Reply With Quote