Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-03-2018, 10:55 AM   #61
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Jim, Here is how the crumbs are distributed and if you look you can see why it is called crumbs. No it is not all Trumps fault, but the tax cut did not reduce the disparity or make it so the bottom 50% had more of a chance to gain some wealth.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.fba25527f619
"the tax cut did not reduce the disparity "

What does reduce the disparity, which has been shown to work and to be sustainable? Please tell me.

I go back to Bill Clinton again, who cut capital gains taxes (which obviously disproportionately helps wealthy people), and he kicked millions of poor people off of welfare. He helped fuel the tech boom which made already-wealthy people, ungodly wealthy. Yet he is a hero of the left. Why? Can you explain why, please?
Old 07-03-2018, 10:57 AM   #62
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Anyone notice the tragic irony that this post was followed shortly after by a guy shooting up a newspaper?
A kook who was making threats against the paper, and investigated by the police for doing so, LONG before Trump thought of running. A former female employee of that paper, moved out of state because she felt so threatened by this guy. All long before Trump was a politician.

He was a madman, on record as being a madman. How dare you imply any connection whatsoever, to what Trump said? You have no shame, no honesty, none, zip, zilch.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:58 AM   #63
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Only a lefty loon would represent those pieces as being tied together.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Absolutely, there is zero connection. None. But bashing Trump is all that matters.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:18 AM   #64
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Trump and his family are getting richer by the day, promoting the family brands and properties with hundreds of visits to them; laughing all the way to the bank while stirring the media with one distraction after another. No blind trust for him, business interests remain unchanged, no tax returns to review, no threat by the Republican control to hold him accountable. Jim wants us to give the man credit when he does something worth praise, I will say for a guy that can screw thousands and thousands of people with one bankruptcy after another, they guy always finds someone or some country willing to fund the family business.

While the Trump brand is going to come out of this stronger then ever, the USA brand will be IMHO severely hurt by the actions of this administration. Jim I’d be carefully giving too much credit to Trump for the state of the economy, it was in pretty good shape when he took office. My retirement has been reduced significantly to a point most of the gains since he took office, have been erased and if this stupid poorly planned trade war continues; I suspect all my gains will be lost.

I will give Trump credit for getting a large number of youth and women engaged in politics, which may be his undoing if he runs again; assuming the Democratic Party can get its #^&#^&#^&#^& together. As an independent I vote based on the merits of the candidates and I can only hope the choices are far superior to the crap we had this past one.

Last edited by Got Stripers; 07-03-2018 at 11:34 AM..
Old 07-03-2018, 11:44 AM   #65
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"the tax cut did not reduce the disparity "

What does reduce the disparity, which has been shown to work and to be sustainable? Please tell me.
You didn't read the article did you?

I go back to Bill Clinton again, who cut capital gains taxes (which obviously disproportionately helps wealthy people), and he kicked millions of poor people off of welfare. He helped fuel the tech boom which made already-wealthy people, ungodly wealthy. I thought Al Gore invented the Internet Yet he is a hero of the left. Why? Can you explain why, please?
Jim,
Why would you think I could explain Bill Clinton to you?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-03-2018, 12:19 PM   #66
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Trump and his family are getting richer by the day, promoting the family brands and properties with hundreds of visits to them; laughing all the way to the bank while stirring the media with one distraction after another. No blind trust for him, business interests remain unchanged, no tax returns to review, no threat by the Republican control to hold him accountable. Jim wants us to give the man credit when he does something worth praise, I will say for a guy that can screw thousands and thousands of people with one bankruptcy after another, they guy always finds someone or some country willing to fund the family business.

While the Trump brand is going to come out of this stronger then ever, the USA brand will be IMHO severely hurt by the actions of this administration. Jim I’d be carefully giving too much credit to Trump for the state of the economy, it was in pretty good shape when he took office. My retirement has been reduced significantly to a point most of the gains since he took office, have been erased and if this stupid poorly planned trade war continues; I suspect all my gains will be lost.

I will give Trump credit for getting a large number of youth and women engaged in politics, which may be his undoing if he runs again; assuming the Democratic Party can get its #^&#^&#^&#^& together. As an independent I vote based on the merits of the candidates and I can only hope the choices are far superior to the crap we had this past one.
Lots of good points there, not much to vehemently disagree with.

"Trump and his family are getting richer by the day"

The Clintons and the Obamas will also get filthy rich from the presidency, but this is certainly different, and I agree he should have gone with the blind trust.

"the USA brand will be IMHO severely hurt by the actions of this administration."

Not sure I agree. And if we hurt our "brand" abroad but make things better at home, I may be OK with that. For example (making up a hypothetical), if outlawing abortion made the French hate us, I'd take that trade in a second.

"Jim I’d be carefully giving too much credit to Trump for the state of the economy, it was in pretty good shape when he took office"

Absolutely correct, it was in good shape. It's in better shape now, and part of that is because the businesses have confidence that he is a POTUS who doesn't thing "business" is bad, and he did away with unnecessary regulations, and gave us the tax cuts. I am of the opinion that those things helped. But your point is valid, the economy had a good tailwind when he took office.

" My retirement has been reduced significantly to a point most of the gains since he took office"

The markets are way up since he took office. 2017 was a great year, 2018 is flat.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:23 PM   #67
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim,
Why would you think I could explain Bill Clinton to you?
"You didn't read the article did you?"

Nope. So I'll repeat the question, what has been shown to reduce the disparity and is sustainable. Is the disparity 'bad'? If Bill Gates earns another million dollars today, why is that bad? He didn't steal it from anyone, no one else is a million dollars poorer, and he will pay some taxes on it, spend some, invest some, give some away. Those are all good things. The liberal fixation on the wealthy makes zero sense. The more wealthy people there are, the less the feds need to take form everyone else.

"Why would you think I could explain Bill Clinton to you?"

In other words, you have no response, because there is no reasonable response. But you aren't about to admit that.

Let me tell you this, when my beliefs cannot withstand the scrutiny of such a simple question, that's the day I re-think what I believe.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:44 PM   #68
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
"You didn't read the article did you?"

Nope. So I'll repeat the question, what has been shown to reduce the disparity and is sustainable. Is the disparity 'bad'? If Bill Gates earns another million dollars today, why is that bad? He didn't steal it from anyone, no one else is a million dollars poorer, and he will pay some taxes on it, spend some, invest some, give some away. Those are all good things. The liberal fixation on the wealthy makes zero sense. The more wealthy people there are, the less the feds need to take form everyone else.

"Why would you think I could explain Bill Clinton to you?"

In other words, you have no response, because there is no reasonable response. But you aren't about to admit that.

Let me tell you this, when my beliefs cannot withstand the scrutiny of such a simple question, that's the day I re-think what I believe.
Jim,
You have a very narrow set of beliefs, Jim's right and everyone who disagrees with him is foolish and a liberal. Since you can't even read an article that might conflict with your beliefs of course you can withstand scrutiny in your mind because you have no reason to question what you know.
You are truly qualified as a member of the Super Elite
Bill Gates is perfectly capable of explaining the problems with income distribution but you likely won't read that either
http://fortune.com/2014/10/15/bill-g...me-inequality/

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-03-2018, 02:01 PM   #69
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim,
You have a very narrow set of beliefs, Jim's right and everyone who disagrees with him is foolish and a liberal. Since you can't even read an article that might conflict with your beliefs of course you can withstand scrutiny in your mind because you have no reason to question what you know.
Bill Gates is perfectly capable of explaining the problems with income distribution but you likely won't read that either
I have a very, very broad set of beliefs, in some cases I side with liberals ( gay marriage, death penalty). It’s notnthat my beliefs are narrow, it's that im honest and very fair.

Bill gates is a world class computer programmer, whybusbhe wualified to speak on income inequality? I asked YOU, why is it bad if bill gates, ornopeah winfrey, or George Clooney, get richer today? How does that hurt anybody? Answer - it doesn’t. How could you possibly make the case that it hurts anybody? He’s not stealing the wealth, he is creating it.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:39 PM   #70
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
I have a very, very broad set of beliefs, in some cases I side with liberals ( gay marriage, death penalty). It’s notnthat my beliefs are narrow, it's that im honest and very fair.
I'm sure you have black friends also.

Bill gates is a world class computer programmer, whybusbhe wualified to speak on income inequality? I asked YOU, why is it bad if bill gates, ornopeah winfrey, or George Clooney, get richer today? How does that hurt anybody? Answer - it doesn’t. How could you possibly make the case that it hurts anybody? He’s not stealing the wealth, he is creating it.
If you read the article you might understand Bill Gate's stance on income inequality and what concerns him about it and it's effect on society. Now of course since he is only a computer programmer and not a reality TV star he doesn't really understand the situation.
However he is likely the second wealthiest man in the world, far wealthier than almost anyone else including Mr Magic.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-03-2018, 02:54 PM   #71
Jim in CT

Quote:
If you read the article you might understand Bill Gate's stance on income inequality and what concerns him about it and it's effect on society. Now of course since he is only a computer programmer and not a reality TV star he doesn't really understand the situation.
However he is likely the second wealthiest man in the world, far wealthier than almost anyone else including Mr Magic.
I don't care what Bill Gates has to say about income inequality. I asked what Pete F thinks about income inequality. I asked Pete F why it's bad if Bill Gates, or Oprah Winfrey, or Meryl Streep, get richer today. How does that hurt anyone? Any chance you can answer in your own words? I've asked twice now. Any chance you can answer?

"I'm sure you have black friends also."

I said that I side with liberals on some big issues, because I know how to think for myself. I'd be curious to know, on what big issues, do you disagree with liberals? Let's see who is narrow minded and who is not?

"However he is likely the second wealthiest man in the world"

Which makes him amazingly successful at computer code. It says nothing about his knowledge of the causes and effects of income inequality. If he cared so much about income inequality, why is he still the second richest person in the world? Why not keep 250 million, and give the rest away?
Old 07-03-2018, 02:59 PM   #72
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim,
OK, I read it. Gates wants to stop taxing wealth, and tax consumption instead. I have no idea, none at all, what the pros and cons of that are. The article didn't get into it at all. I'm supposed to think it's a good idea, just because Bill Gates says so? How about convincing me with facts, logic, common sense, empirical evidence?
Old 07-03-2018, 03:15 PM   #73
Sea Dangles

Quote:

You have no idea what a hit the Trump brand took internationally since everybody found out he is a douche.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 07-03-2018, 03:22 PM   #74
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
You have no idea what a hit the Trump brand took internationally since everybody found out he is a douche.
I think they are doing more than fine, the Trump brand isn’t suffering.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:33 PM   #75
Nebe

Quote:
Ivanka (the daughter trump would totally bang if she wasn’t his daughter.. tremendous ass by ththe way) changed the name of her handbag and clothing line to 100% remove the name Trump.. I believe the Trump brand has been tarnished like the cast bronze turd that it is.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:26 PM   #76
wdmso

Quote:
Only a lefty loon would represent those pieces as being tied together.
funny we were told by some to include the POTUS that Maxine Waters incited violence in her comments

Congressman Biggs (R) issued the following statement after introducing a resolution to censure and condemn Representative Maxine Waters:

Individuals have the right to debate their differences civilly, without fear of retribution. Unfortunately, Maxine Waters' comments condone public violence and encourage actions that jeopardize the safety and security of government officials and the American people. Those determined to undermine the progress and agenda of President Donald Trump, have taken it upon themselves to demonize their opposition.As Members of Congress we have the responsibility to lead by example and this rhetoric is simply unacceptable.”

Guess what he said about Trump calling the press the enemy of the people... you guessed it nada nothing funny how that works
Old 07-03-2018, 04:40 PM   #77
spence

Quote:
A kook who was making threats against the paper, and investigated by the police for doing so, LONG before Trump thought of running. A former female employee of that paper, moved out of state because she felt so threatened by this guy. All long before Trump was a politician.

He was a madman, on record as being a madman. How dare you imply any connection whatsoever, to what Trump said? You have no shame, no honesty, none, zip, zilch.
Sure he was crazy but why crack now? Considering Trump's history of promoting violence, threatening individuals in the press, calling out the press as our countries greatest threat etc... etc... you can't decouple his actions as the most powerful person in the country with people that could be influenced. This doesn't mean Trump's responsible but it does put his behavior in tragic context. That he was back at it after the event is really deplorable.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:57 PM   #78
wdmso

now he is going after Harley ! True to form and in a very un POTUS fashion

Trump has threatened to impose higher taxes on the Milwaukee-based manufacturer in retaliation after it said on June 25 it was shifting some production for European-bound motorcycles from U.S. facilities to avoid tariffs being imposed by the European Union to counter U.S. duties imposed by Trump.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:04 PM   #79
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
now he is going after Harley ! True to form and in a very un POTUS fashion

Trump has threatened to impose higher taxes on the Milwaukee-based manufacturer in retaliation after it said on June 25 it was shifting some production for European-bound motorcycles from U.S. facilities to avoid tariffs being imposed by the European Union to counter U.S. duties imposed by Trump.
He actually said this morning the Administration was talking to foreign makers about moving production to the US as a retaliatory measure. It was likely made up but this is like the twilight zone.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:34 PM   #80
Sea Dangles

Guys, tighten up the chinstrap on your tinfoil hats,it's going to be a bumpy ride. No need to demonstrate who the lefty loons are.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:35 PM   #81
Sea Dangles

Quote:
You are wrong about that

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 07-03-2018, 07:55 PM   #82
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch
9 out of 10 report the same story? Is there some collusion that they choose to reflect each other? Or are they motivated by the same bias?

Posted by wdmso
if there is 1 story reported on multiple stations Thats not Bias if their were 10 cars involved in the accident and its reported as such thats how News works.

Detbuch;
So what's the point of the metric? What's the significance? If 9 out of 10 report the story and 1 in 10 doesn't, what's the significance? If 1 out of ten reports a story and 9 out of 10 don't, what's the significance? What is the point of those ratios? Are we to assume that the outlier, because it is outnumbered, gets a negative rating?

And if similar or exact language is used in all the 9 out of 10 reports, is that just coincidence?

Detbuch:
Has anyone rated World Press Freedom? Does it have a bias?

wdmso:
is that how you dispute their information just call it Bias ? and the truth goes away ?? Facts are facts bias only help change the story in ones mind you demonstrate that skill often (see comment above )

Detbuch:
Bias is one of the metrics used by your source, World Press Freedom, to rate the various news outlets. If your source can evaluate a news organization by how biased it is, is it not fair to ask if World Press Freedom has a bias?

Detbuch:
You lie when you say "But for Trump and his supporters its all Fake lies made to discredit him..." It's not ALL fake news, but much of it is, including minimization or omission of positive news re Trump.

wdmso:
Now that is a Dear leader comment if i have ever heard one .. and here i thought right leaning people were against the every deserves a trophy .... if you need the media to show Trump in a positive image of report positive news of Trump . move to Russia or North Korea where they are very good at it. or have him actually do or say some positive things...

Detbuch
No. It's not as complicated or exaggerated as you make it. I was simply pointing out that you lie (or exaggerate) when you say that Trump, or his supporters claim that All news is fake.

wdmso:
Is there a personal or intellectual line Trump can not cross ?? or are you just willing to shelve morals, personal integrity, and comon decency to get a crumb that may fall off Trumps Table

Detbuch:
where do you get all that nonsense? Does your bias, as you put it, change the story in your mind?

wdmso:
reference to Franklin D. Roosevelt,

“Should we go back to 16 years? Congressman, can we have that extended? The last time I jokingly said that, the papers started saying 'he's got despotic tendencies!' No, I'm not looking to do it, unless you want to do it.”

“He's now president for life. President for life,” Trump said of Xi. “No, he's great. And look, he was able to do that. I think it's great. Maybe we'll have to give that a shot someday.”

Sorry its not hyperbole when it comes from the POTUS

Detbuch:
Why not? Why isn't it playful sarcasm? Having fun? You're such a self-righteous fussbudget. Relax. Enjoy. Life is short. Presidential terms are shorter.

Last edited by detbuch; 07-03-2018 at 08:11 PM..
Old 07-03-2018, 10:15 PM   #83
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Sure he was crazy but why crack now? Considering Trump's history of promoting violence, threatening individuals in the press, calling out the press as our countries greatest threat etc... etc... you can't decouple his actions as the most powerful person in the country with people that could be influenced. This doesn't mean Trump's responsible but it does put his behavior in tragic context. That he was back at it after the event is really deplorable.
"Sure he was crazy but why crack now? "

Oh, so all that matters is timing. Using that "logic", you must blame Obama for all the cops murdered after he lent legitimacy to cop-haters. Right?

Who knows why they snap when they do. Maybe it was Trump, but as of this moment, there is exactly zero evidence of that. But you don't care.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:24 AM   #84
wdmso

Trump tweets Iranian hardliner's unsubstantiated claim about Obama

Biased Fake story promoted by no other than Fox and the POTUS Shocking !!

He Read or watched or was told about A headline from Fox News, Sean Hannity, and others has been circulating for a couple of days now.

Donald Trump has tweeted an unsubstantiated claim from an hardline Iranian cleric and circulated by a news agency linked to the country’s Revolutionary Guard, that thousands of Iranians were granted US citizenship as part of the 2015 nuclear deal.

Trumps Tweet

Just out that the Obama Administration granted citizenship, during the terrible Iran Deal negotiation, to 2,500 Iranians - including to government officials. How big (and bad) is that?

8:03 AM - Jul 3, 2018
Old 07-04-2018, 07:36 AM   #85
wdmso

Quote:
"Sure he was crazy but why crack now? "

Oh, so all that matters is timing. Using that "logic", you must blame Obama for all the cops murdered after he lent legitimacy to cop-haters. Right? your side did just that if you recall

Who knows why they snap when they do. Maybe it was Trump, but as of this moment, there is exactly zero evidence of that. But you don't care. I think he clearly said it wasn't his fault personally but he has set the table if you use the maxine waters standard your side has invoked regarding charged rhetoric it would Say it was Trumps Fault but since he has a R next to his name the Standard dosn't apply
the long lens of history gives us examples of whats normal and what is not .. and in our short history that long lens is very clear there has never but such a full frontal assault on Norms across the board
Old 07-04-2018, 07:42 AM   #86
wdmso

for our visual learners
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36531175_1731781846917958_418482758415810560_n.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	65399  
Old 07-04-2018, 08:36 AM   #87
Sea Dangles

We are ALL on the same side Wayne
USA
Old 07-04-2018, 09:26 AM   #88
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
for our visual learners
In the instances that Trump refers to, just about everything in that list you dug up is true. Especially by the standard of what you and others consider, when it comes to Trump, a lie.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:39 AM   #89
spence

Quote:
We are ALL on the same side Wayne
USA
I thought so as well but Jim keeps claiming he's on a different team.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:42 AM   #90
Sea Dangles

It would be naive of me to think of you as down the middle but I would hope you want whatever is best for the country. Most likely we all agree that is best but we have different opinions on how to achieve that. Party lines and same old same old obscure the goal.