Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-09-2007, 10:31 AM   #1
Flaptail

Question What would it be like?

I have been watching a lot of TV lately what with my foot f&cked up and all and it's been mostly war movies etc., WWII type stuff. I got to thinking, "what would the world be like if Hitler had won Europe?"

He had the technology (except the A bomb recipe but that would have come with time) and fine generals and army but thankfully for us and Europe he had no clue and shot anyone who disagreed with him.

What would it be like today in the world had he emerged the winner?

Why even try.........
Old 07-09-2007, 10:36 AM   #2
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

If our troops had been forced back in the English Channel and back to England I can only imagine how many A-bombs would have been dropped on Germany and German troops to make the surrender.

Last edited by Swimmer; 07-09-2007 at 11:03 AM..

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 07-09-2007, 10:44 AM   #3
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Smile

Flap, after reading some of your political statements over the years

you would already have been

Hope your foot is healing quickly.

" Choose Life "
Old 07-09-2007, 11:19 AM   #4
mosholu
Mosholu

If Germany had carried out an invasion of Britian in 1941 and was successful they would have entered into some type of non-aggression pact with the US while they focused their attentions on the Eastern Front. Once Hitler had control of the European continent he would have consolidated his power and then turned towards the former Africian colonies for their raw materials. Remember prior to Pearl Harbor there was not strong support among the US people for the US to involve itself in what was seen as Europe's problem. At some point down the line you would have to see conflict between Germany and Japan as Japan's need for raw materials would have eventually drawn itself into conflict with Germany.
There was an interesting mystery novel by Robert Harris called Fatherland where he sets the plot in the 1960s in Germany which was successful during the war.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:26 AM   #5
Raven

Talking

no spreckenzi english !
Old 07-09-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosholu View Post
If Germany had carried out an invasion of Britian in 1941 and was successful they would have entered into some type of non-aggression pact with the US while they focused their attentions on the Eastern Front.
Hitler didn't have the naval forces to fight off the Royal Navy defending its own coast, and also lacked the necessary landing craft to mount an amphibious invasion of England. It was never a realistic possibility.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:11 PM   #7
Flaptail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
Hitler didn't have the naval forces to fight off the Royal Navy defending its own coast, and also lacked the necessary landing craft to mount an amphibious invasion of England. It was never a realistic possibility.
That and long range multi engine bombers either. The technological side of his wermacht though put many weapons at his feet that he disregarded that could have been decisive. His navy was in the process of developing an aircraft carrier, again too late. The ME-262jet airplane could have been put into service years before and the missile program only got slight attention, as did the jets and upgrades to his submarine force when necesity opened his, way too late.

We could have failed miserably at Normandy if his advisors weren't afraid to wake him before eleven in the morning and let the panzer corps loose that they had at Calais waiting for Patton and his imaginary army. ( Read "Hoodwinking Hitler" about the whole plan that made the krauts believe there was a massive army waiting to go to Calais complete wioth fake radio and how they carried it out, fascinating)

Why even try.........
Old 07-09-2007, 01:17 PM   #8
Nebe

considering the gluttony this country has lived on for the years after the war until now- had Germany won the war, they would have experienced the spoils of global domination that we achieved. If germany was victorious, i beleive that America would have become a more grounded nation and would be much more frugal with its resources and most importantly we would not be the global peace keeper that we are today-as a result, our country would be more motivated to focus on its own problems and if you ask me is a country i would rather see.

Some how Mr president, i think you feel the same way.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:13 AM   #9
Flaptail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
considering the gluttony this country has lived on for the years after the war until now- had Germany won the war, they would have experienced the spoils of global domination that we achieved. If germany was victorious, i beleive that America would have become a more grounded nation and would be much more frugal with its resources and most importantly we would not be the global peace keeper that we are today-as a result, our country would be more motivated to focus on its own problems and if you ask me is a country i would rather see.

Agreed.

Why even try.........
Old 07-10-2007, 11:29 AM   #10
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Well, thank God he didn't win

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:46 PM   #11
stripersnipr

Quote:

You are actually saying that America would be a better place if Hitler had been victorious? I guess you don't have any Jewish friends.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:35 PM   #12
Skip N

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripersnipr View Post
You are actually saying that America would be a better place if Hitler had been victorious? I guess you don't have any Jewish friends.
I can't believe what he wrote...Just when you think you've heard it all, you get a post like that. Almost sounds as if he wishes we had lost. Yowza!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-10-2007, 04:11 PM   #13
mosholu
Mosholu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
Fair enough point but I would say if you look at the history of the war a British loss prior to US involvement is the scenario that would have most likely led to a German victory which was the premise of the flaptail's question. Once the US was involved it is hard to imagine a situation where Germany would have achieved a clear victory. Maybe a clear cut victory in the East might have given Germany the chance for an armistice but they could never win against the US production capabilities.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:37 PM   #14
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip N View Post
I can't believe what he wrote...Just when you think you've heard it all, you get a post like that. Almost sounds as if he wishes we had lost. Yowza!
Skippy, please think before you post

-spence
Old 07-10-2007, 04:50 PM   #15
basswipe

Timing was everything back then.An all out assault on England was not necessary and Russia was on the brink.Germany already possessed the missile technology and were only a few months away from a fully functional atomic bomb prior to their surrender.It really was that close,
but Germany was the invaded country at that point and not the invader.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:00 PM   #16
basswipe

Quote:
considering the gluttony this country has lived on for the years after the war until now- had Germany won the war, they would have experienced the spoils of global domination that we achieved. If germany was victorious, i beleive that America would have become a more grounded nation and would be much more frugal with its resources and most importantly we would not be the global peace keeper that we are today-as a result,

That's a disgusting statement.

So what you are saying is that the destruction of entire races and cultures back then so that today you could make such a statement:

"our country would be more motivated to focus on its own problems and if you ask me is a country i would rather see."....

that's how you think?

That's just sick and so is anyone who agrees.What a slap in the face to every human that died in that war.

Plain disgusting.You should be ashamed and go live elsewhere.Disgusting.

Had to add this:YOU personally enjoy the freedoms of having a business,having a child,quality shelter,plenty of food,getting to fish and the ability to make really dumb statements as the DIRECT result of thousands upon thousands of deaths during WW2.

Shame on you.

Last edited by basswipe; 07-10-2007 at 05:12 PM..
Old 07-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #17
spence

I think you're completely missing Nebe's point...

The dominance of the USA in the global economy the last 1/2 of this century has been an massive factor in the rise of the American consumer which is now spreading around the world.

There are certianly arguments as to how this has driven the global economy in general, which are valid...

But I'd pose a problem. Americans have gotten quite used to our way of life, and now we're turning a critical eye to others who seek the same. All the while pondering if what we even have is really sustainable.

A more frugal USA might not have got us to where we are, but may be an impossible cultural transformation necessary to keep us here.

-spence
Old 07-10-2007, 05:18 PM   #18
striprman
Wishin' for fishin'

Would the schools have a pic of Hitler hanging underneath the American flag instead of George Washington and Dubya ?

Old 07-10-2007, 05:45 PM   #19
Backbeach Jake

I understand Nebe's point. All that we complain of in this country would not be a factor if ruled as Nazi Germant was. Illegal immigrants, poof -gone. The homeless, gonzo. PCedness ( new word ) never happened. Crooked politicians, swinging from lampposts. All the things that we hate would not happen. Sooo, my point here is this; what does that say about us here and now? Why do we tolerate this BS? Why can't this nation focus on anything long enough to not eff it up? Just my interpretation...

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Old 07-10-2007, 06:08 PM   #20
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake View Post
I understand Nebe's point. All that we complain of in this country would not be a factor if ruled as Nazi Germant was. Illegal immigrants, poof -gone. The homeless, gonzo. PCedness ( new word ) never happened. Crooked politicians, swinging from lampposts. All the things that we hate would not happen. Sooo, my point here is this; what does that say about us here and now? Why do we tolerate this BS? Why can't this nation focus on anything long enough to not eff it up? Just my interpretation...
Well said...

We tolerate it because as a whole, we have it good for the moment.

-spence
Old 07-10-2007, 06:42 PM   #21
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I think you're completely missing Nebe's point...

The dominance of the USA in the global economy the last 1/2 of this century has been an massive factor in the rise of the American consumer which is now spreading around the world.

There are certianly arguments as to how this has driven the global economy in general, which are valid...

But I'd pose a problem. Americans have gotten quite used to our way of life, and now we're turning a critical eye to others who seek the same. All the while pondering if what we even have is really sustainable.

A more frugal USA might not have got us to where we are, but may be an impossible cultural transformation necessary to keep us here.

-spence

But to suggest that losing the war to Nazi Germany would have led to anything good is sick. The subject of your post has absolutely nothing to do with losing the war, nor the sacrifice made on our behalf by another generation. %$%$%$%$ing make me sick with comments like this. Bet you wouldn't have the balls to serve your country..... Before we ever meet face to face, I hope you and Eben, will have publicly stated to those that have served, and our families, exactly where you stand. This just is NOT up for discussion.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:10 PM   #22
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
But to suggest that losing the war to Nazi Germany would have led to anything good is sick. The subject of your post has absolutely nothing to do with losing the war, nor the sacrifice made on our behalf by another generation. %$%$%$%$ing make me sick with comments like this. Bet you wouldn't have the balls to serve your country..... Before we ever meet face to face, I hope you and Eben, will have publicly stated to those that have served, and our families, exactly where you stand. This just is NOT up for discussion.
Nebe was posting a hypothetical and relative response for the sake of arguement in which he made a point that more than one person has found some value in.

A knee-jerk response based on ignorance or rage does not add value to the debate.

To say someone like myself doesn't have balls to serve our country without actually knowing me is absurd, pithy and downright pathetic.

It just might be, that I'm someone you want in your foxhole.

It's also indirectly an insult to those who do or have served as it's dissing that for which they serve for. The freedom to express one's opinion without fear of reproach.

This is not the place for threats.

-spence
Old 07-10-2007, 07:21 PM   #23
stripersnipr

Quote:
Don't forget to add Jews, Blacks, Asians, Gays and any and all non-Aryan types swinging from those lamp posts also. (yeah, much better place to live than America now ) Yeah, that will make everyone stop complaining and be happy . Just because you think you understand a point doesn't mean the point is valid. Nebe's post (unclarified) is about the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen posted here. Having said that, I know Nebe doesn't support the notion that the Aryan States of America concieved by Hitlers victory combined with a little genocide would be a better place to live than our country today. So Nebe, please clarify your post.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:25 PM   #24
stripersnipr

Imagine what Spences response to this would be if SkipN Posted it?

"If germany was victorious, i beleive that America would have become a more grounded nation and would be much more frugal with its resources and most importantly we would not be the global peace keeper that we are today-as a result, our country would be more motivated to focus on its own problems and if you ask me is a country i would rather see".
Old 07-11-2007, 05:52 AM   #25
Backbeach Jake

Believe me, with my last name, I'm sure that I'd get the first lamppost. My question "what does the say about us" was meant to point out that all we despise in the Nazis is being shouted for here, now. We've developed a real bad case of kill them all, lock them all up, send them all home instead of just fixing a problem ( the focus part of my?) that we, ourselves , created.
Nazis? Pure nationalistic evil.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Old 07-11-2007, 06:01 AM   #26
Raven

adolph

hitler referred to it as "the final solution" what a freakin dweeb he was pfff .................................................. ..................................
Old 07-11-2007, 03:32 PM   #27
basswipe

Quote:
How do you understand Nebe's "point".His point requires the elimination of everyone but those Arion to achieve the kind of place he wants to live.Simply put...clueless.The only interpretation of Nebe's statements is what you said:

"I understand Nebe's point. All that we complain of in this country would not be a factor if ruled as Nazi Germant was. Illegal immigrants, poof -gone. The homeless, gonzo. PCedness ( new word ) never happened.All the things that we hate would not happen."
This is called fascism.

The only interpretation that can be made is that Nebe and yourself hate immigrants and homeless people if you both stand by your statements.This is very un-democratic party-like.Shame.

Is this what you want?

Jesus H Christ on a Mother %$%$%$%$ing Crutch.What's wrong with y'all?Do ya truly hate where you live that much?
Old 07-11-2007, 04:18 PM   #28
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
Jesus H Christ on a Mother %$%$%$%$ing Crutch.What's wrong with y'all?Do ya truly hate where you live that much?
It's called critical thinking...don't be so literal.

-spence
Old 07-11-2007, 09:56 PM   #29
Backbeach Jake

Thanks, Spence. I call it "Introspection". What I've written isn't meant to be literally taken, but to show the absurdities and parallels of both our cultures, abstract thought, if you will. It's about our nation's lack of drive toward anything creative and productive. It's about "The Greatest Nation on Earth" and it's inability to care for all it's citizens. And it's parsimony to that end. The bottom line, the end of the month rules our world here and don't doubt it for a second. And I really don't think that taking our Lord and Savior's name in vain with help your argument one iota. Not you Spence.

We ,the citizens of this alleged "greatest County" have every oppurtunity and advantage to better our world and the world as a whole. The Soviet Union crashed and burned in the 90's and what did we do with the money that was freed from our BS Cold War? Start a bunch of little ones. Meanwhile our bridges are falling down, and we have potholes that will rip your tires off. On the Interstates, which were meant and designed to move military vehicles rapidly about this country in our defense. We deserve better that what is delivered. We are better than we are treated by our so-called leaders. (I call them shameless whores). So , whenever you get the chance, make it clear to our leaders just how you feel, vote. That's right one man or woman's simple opinon, a vote. It WILL set you free.

Do I hate where I'm living so much? Yes, I do. The reason, The true potential has nowhere near been approached. We're all too busy watching American Idol. I freakin' cringe when someone asks me if I saw it last night. I just want to die..

Last edited by Backbeach Jake; 07-11-2007 at 11:01 PM..

Thomas Paine
Old 07-12-2007, 07:56 AM   #30
Flaptail

Cool

When a nations people have it good, as we do now(for the most part) they become oblivious to what the government is up to until things start to look badly and personal freedoms are lost no one pays attention (more time for American Idol viewing).

That is whart happened to Germany in the mid 30's. They were taken out of a severe depression and by whom? Adolph of course. Now, what with this new found prosperity came a resurgencer in national pride, this of course was engineered so to say by der Feuhrer and his pals. Things were goot, das money wat flowing and suddenly blinf trust in the Government provided the Nazi Party to go where they really wanted to go.

In a way we are heading that way here in the US. Government has tightened the riegns on us. We loose more personal freedom each time a towel head drives a car bomb into a crowded market, 'Homeland Security" passes another bill of lost rights. Chertoff, under political pressure I assure you is using the "threat" word to help buoy the Presidents failing image, nothing more. Show us the proof.

Fortunately or unfortunately maybe we, as a nation have woken up to whats really afoot in D.C. The problem is in order to right our house some sort of revolution has to take place. This can be done at the voting booth but unfortunately both the GOP. the Dems and Independents up for the job all kinda (some really) suck.

Our Government is a mess, plain and simple and something radical needs to be done, soon to save us from ourselves.

Why even try.........