Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-06-2019, 01:53 PM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

#SummaCumLiar

The Trump slam ‘Summa Cum Liar’ is trending right now on Twitter, largely in part to the man who coined it, George Conway, also known as Kellyanne Conway’s husband.

George Conway
@gtconway3d
I will concede him this: Wherever he goes and whatever he does, Trump will always be summa cum liar. #SummaCumLiar

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-06-2019, 01:58 PM   #2
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
The Trump slam ‘Summa Cum Liar’ is trending right now on Twitter, largely in part to the man who coined it, George Conway, also known as Kellyanne Conway’s husband.

George Conway
@gtconway3d
I will concede him this: Wherever he goes and whatever he does, Trump will always be summa cum liar. #SummaCumLiar
He is a liar, an adulterer, and a lot of bad things. And he grew the national economy at more than 3%, which Obama's economic advisor said was impossible.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:19 PM   #3
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
He is a liar, an adulterer, and a lot of bad things. And he grew the national economy at more than 3%, which Obama's economic advisor said was impossible.
Like I said before the right and the boot licking GOP are ok with the means as long as they justify the ends. Too many superlatives (none positive) to describe Trump, the convictions mounting, the lies hard to even count at this point, the quantities of quality people jumping ship, the American brand diminished world wide, but we are winning right?
Old 03-06-2019, 02:36 PM   #4
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Like I said before the right and the boot licking GOP are ok with the means as long as they justify the ends. Too many superlatives (none positive) to describe Trump, the convictions mounting, the lies hard to even count at this point, the quantities of quality people jumping ship, the American brand diminished world wide, but we are winning right?
What nefarious mean did Trump use to grow the economy at more than 3%
Old 03-06-2019, 02:50 PM   #5
Pete F.
Canceled

Trump’s Big Tax Cuts Did Little to Boost Economic Growth
His revisions to regulations did more, but all at a cost that history will reveal.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...conomic-growth

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-06-2019, 03:22 PM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
I'm on the right, but don't lick his boots. I do think there's value in remembering that his presidency is judged on both his personal ethics, and whether or not his policies make our lives better. I see you, Pete, Spence, WDMSO, and to a lesser extent Paul, giving 100% weight to his personal ethics, and 0% weight to his results. Would you do that with the guy who runs your company? Would you rather have a decent guy who can't do anything right, or a mean SOB who cheats on his wife at home, but leads your company to success?

"Like I said before the right and the boot licking GOP left are ok with the means painting him in the most negative light possible as long as they justify the ends forget how it felt when he destroyed their candidate and made them all look like morons in the process. Too many superlatives (none positive) to describe Trump (not even 'one who is improving the economy, despite all the evidence to the contrary), the convictions mounting (none against him, but why let that get in the way), the lies hard to even count at this point, the quantities of quality people jumping ship (people we all hated when they first joined the ship, but let's revise history because it helps us paint him in a negative light), the American brand diminished world wide (tell that to ISIS), but we are winning right? Ummm, yes."

Fixed it for you.

By what standard is the 'American Brand' diminished worldwide? Are immigrants refusing to come here, and choosing Canada instead? Is that what all these caravans' ultimate goal is, to walk to Canada? Because our brand is diminished? If our brand can handle a guy who apologized for all of our shortcomings, it can handle a guy who thinks we're all that and a bag of chips.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 03-06-2019 at 03:56 PM..
Old 03-06-2019, 03:26 PM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
Trump’s Big Tax Cuts Did Little to Boost Economic Growth
His revisions to regulations did more, but all at a cost that history will reveal.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...conomic-growth
Do you subscribe to some sort of irrational, Trump-bashers feed?

Your declined to admit a correlation between corporate tax cuts and corporate investment.

(1) did it mention the investment undertaken by companies whose CEO's said clearly, that additional investment was directly because of the tax cuts? Comcast, which owns NBC and NBC and is therefore no Trump boot licker, announced massive investments and said it was because of the tax cuts. Bloomberg might not like that, that's there problem.

(2) How about increased consumer spending? Some consumer spending was triggered by tax cuts, and some corporate investments were undertaken because of consumer spending.

It's pretty hard to predict what the economy would have done, had things been different. Lots of moving pieces.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 03-06-2019 at 03:34 PM..
Old 03-06-2019, 03:48 PM   #8
detbuch

Quote:
I'm on the right, but don't lick his boots. I do think there's value in remembering that his presidency is judged on both his personal ethics, and whether or not his policies make our lives better. I see you, Pete, Spence, WDMSO, and to a lesser extent Paul, giving 100% weight to his personal ethics, and 0% weight to his results. Would you do that with the guy who runs your company? Would you rather have a decent guy who can't do anything right, or a mean SOB who cheats on his wife at home, but leads your company to success?
You might also note that the personal ethics that most complain about occurred before he became President. His past actions should not be used to accuse him of besmirching his present office. Nor, if his past actions have not been continued in his role of POTUS, should they be considered the "means" he uses to get things done as President.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:56 PM   #9
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
You might also note that the personal ethics that most complain about occurred before he became President. His past actions should not be used to accuse him of besmirching his present office. Nor, if his past actions have not been continued in his role of POTUS, should they be considered the "means" he uses to get things done as President.
Agreed.

This all boils down to, he beat them. he beat them at their own game - fighting dirty, lying, smearing, and insulting his opponents. He beat them at their own game, he pulverized them at their own game, by winning the election. Then to top it all off, he's making things better by many rational standards (not debt, not by refusing to build a wall for 2 years, not by praising Kim Jong Un or whatever his name is). He made them look stupid, and continues to make them look stupid.

Larry Summers was Obama's top economic advisor (I think?), he said 3% growth was as realistic as the tooth fairy, then bam, Trump did it.

Do you see Summers on TV, admitting Trump was right and he was wrong? Nope. Because they aren't capable of that kind of honesty. Trump did what Summers said was impossible.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:56 PM   #10
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Do you subscribe to some sort of irrational, Trump-bashers feed?

Just look outside State News

Your declined to admit a correlation between corporate tax cuts and corporate investment.

(1) did it mention the investment undertaken by companies whose CEO's said clearly, that additional investment was directly because of the tax cuts? Comcast, which owns NBC and NBC and is therefore no Trump boot licker, announced massive investments and said it was because of the tax cuts. Bloomberg might not like that, that's there problem.

Anecdotal evidence doesn’t make it true market wide. Farmers and farm equipment and supply dealers did not increase investments.

(2) How about increased consumer spending? Some consumer spending was triggered by tax cuts, and some corporate investments were undertaken because of consumer spending.

Anecdotal evidence doesn’t make it market wide. It’s like saying global warming doesn’t exist because we had a cold snap.

It's pretty hard to predict what the economy would have done, had things been different. Lots of moving pieces.
You’re right, it might have stopped it’s growth.
Perhaps what he did enabled it to continue the upward movement.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-06-2019, 04:08 PM   #11
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Hard for Republicans to use this argument after the Whitewater investigation and the Clinton impeachment.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-06-2019, 04:40 PM   #12
detbuch

Quote:
Hard for Republicans to use this argument after the Whitewater investigation and the Clinton impeachment.
Clinton lied under oath while President. He was unfaithful to his wife while President.

Last edited by detbuch; 03-06-2019 at 05:05 PM..
Old 03-06-2019, 04:43 PM   #13
wdmso

Quote:
Agreed.

This all boils down to, he beat them. he beat them at their own game - fighting dirty, lying, smearing, and insulting his opponents. He beat them at their own game, he pulverized them at their own game, by winning the election. Then to top it all off, he's making things better by many rational standards (not debt, not by refusing to build a wall for 2 years, not by praising Kim Jong Un or whatever his name is). He made them look stupid, and continues to make them look stupid.

Larry Summers was Obama's top economic advisor (I think?), he said 3% growth was as realistic as the tooth fairy, then bam, Trump did it.

Do you see Summers on TV, admitting Trump was right and he was wrong? Nope. Because they aren't capable of that kind of honesty. Trump did what Summers said was impossible.

This all boils down to, he beat them

Again this shows how in love you are with Trump and how deep your denial runs and a typical response from the faithful ... wilfully ignoring the real reason it's happening ... all the convictions and the investigations it's called breaking the law and Trump hired them and he's responsible for their behavior ... that's what leadership is about

Because they aren't capable of that kind of honesty.

The Minute you and your Conservative pals Demand the same kind of honesty from the POTUS you really have zero credibility in the honesty department
Old 03-06-2019, 04:46 PM   #14
detbuch

Quote:
You’re right, it might have stopped it’s growth.
Perhaps what he did enabled it to continue the upward movement.
But the current success does not have to be conjectured. Nor is it, at this point, merely an upward trend--it is well beyond that. And it was predicted by the geniuses who crafted the previous economic agenda that what is happening now was not possible. Given all that, why such a strenuous attempt to discredit what is happening and to show how bad, stupid, wrong and potentially destructive it is supposed to be?
Old 03-06-2019, 04:50 PM   #15
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

The Minute you and your Conservative pals Demand the same kind of honesty from the POTUS you really have zero credibility in the honesty department
do you demand honesty from democrats?
Old 03-06-2019, 04:56 PM   #16
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Clied lied under oath while President. He was unfaithful to his wife while President.
And Congress spent 80 million and years investigating whitewater and when Starr and his leaky apprentices couldn’t make that or Fosters suicide fly they went after a sex act.
You’re not saying marital fidelity counts for Republicans are you

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-06-2019, 04:57 PM   #17
detbuch

Quote:
This all boils down to, he beat them

Again this shows how in love you are with Trump and how deep your denial runs and a typical response from the faithful ... wilfully ignoring the real reason it's happening ... all the convictions and the investigations it's called breaking the law and Trump hired them and he's responsible for their behavior ... that's what leadership is about

You're saying that the booming economy is due to Trump hiring a criminal lawyer that had nothing to do with the economy? Or due to Flynn being needlessly maneuvered into a perjury trap? Or due to several Russians who are not connected to Trump being indicted (but not convicted nor will they be) for election tampering? Please explain the connection.

Because they aren't capable of that kind of honesty.

So, if you believe that the President is dishonest, you should be dishonest?

Last edited by detbuch; 03-06-2019 at 05:02 PM..
Old 03-06-2019, 04:58 PM   #18
detbuch

Quote:
And Congress spent 80 million and years investigating whitewater and when Starr and his leaky apprentices couldn’t make that or Fosters suicide fly they went after a sex act.
You're changing the subject. And wandering down another rabbit hole.

Last edited by detbuch; 03-06-2019 at 05:03 PM..
Old 03-06-2019, 05:22 PM   #19
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
You might also note that the personal ethics that most complain about occurred before he became President. His past actions should not be used to accuse him of besmirching his present office.
Quote:
Quote:
Clinton lied under oath while President. He was unfaithful to his wife while President.
Quote:
Quote:
You're changing the subject. And wandering down another rabbit hole.
No, you're wrong.

You said this: "You might also note that the personal ethics that most complain about occurred before he became President. His past actions should not be used to accuse him of besmirching his present office."
Ken Starr and his leaky apprentices, one of whom was Kavanaugh (had to throw that in), spent two years investigating Whitewater, which occurred prior to Clinton's election and when they could not find what they wanted, the Republicans moved on to other things, since they were out to "get" him. That was called "a witch hunt" but by the Democratic minority, not the President.
Luckily for Clinton his approval rating was double what Trump's is and actually increased to 70% the week of his impeachment.
That's a far cry from Trump's, which floats one side or the other of 40%.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-06-2019, 06:02 PM   #20
spence

Quote:
I believe he said it was not impossible but rather unsustainable because it was dependent largely on increasing deficit spending. Right now that appears to be exactly what is happening.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:04 PM   #21
detbuch

Quote:
No, you're wrong.

You said this: "You might also note that the personal ethics that most complain about occurred before he became President. His past actions should not be used to accuse him of besmirching his present office."
Ken Starr and his leaky apprentices, one of whom was Kavanaugh (had to throw that in), spent two years investigating Whitewater, which occurred prior to Clinton's election and when they could not find what they wanted, the Republicans moved on to other things, since they were out to "get" him. That was called "a witch hunt" but by the Democratic minority, not the President.
Luckily for Clinton his approval rating was double what Trump's is and actually increased to 70% the week of his impeachment.
That's a far cry from Trump's, which floats one side or the other of 40%.
You'll note that I specifically said "His past actions should not be used to accuse him of besmirching his present office." Was Clinton accused of besmirching the Presidency because of Whitewater or anything he did before he became President? His past actions, whatever they were or were not, did not besmirch the Office of President. They may have said something about his character before he became President. But his lecherous, unfaithful character, while actually being President, is what disgraced the office of President.

I also said, which you did not include here, was that "if his past actions have not been continued in his role of POTUS, should they be considered the "means" he uses to get things done as President?"

It is not reasonable nor logical to say that what Trump did in the past and is not doing while in office are the means or method that he uses now to do things like growing the economy. That makes no sense.

So the rabbit hole of Whitewater and Vince Foster have nothing to do with what I said. They are a change of subject.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:07 PM   #22
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I believe he said it was not impossible but rather unsustainable because it was dependent largely on increasing deficit spending. Right now that appears to be exactly what is happening.
Did he also add that reducing taxes and regulations would also be part of what it depended on?
Old 03-06-2019, 06:21 PM   #23
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
he said it was as realistic as the tooth fairy. kudos to him.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:50 PM   #24
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
do you demand honesty from democrats?
I demand it from any sitting POTUS unlike many here
Old 03-06-2019, 06:54 PM   #25
wdmso

The Dems are trying to win an election in 2020 that they know they cannot legitimately win!"

Trump already trying to discredit the next election shocking
Old 03-06-2019, 07:09 PM   #26
Sea Dangles

Quote:
I demand it from any sitting POTUS unlike many here
But not from anybody else in government? Senators can lie. Governors can lie. Presidential hopefuls can lie. Presidents can jam cigars in vaginas and lie about it. But Trump,a guy who has spent his life lying long before he knew how to spell politics, this gives you a purpose to suddenly condemn lying. Hahaha...the morality police have spoken. Snowflake style

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 03-06-2019, 07:37 PM   #27
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
The Dems are trying to win an election in 2020 that they know they cannot legitimately win!"

Trump already trying to discredit the next election shocking
Thank you, no really, thank you.....I needed a good laugh.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 03-06-2019, 07:46 PM   #28
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
You'll note that I specifically said "His past actions should not be used to accuse him of besmirching his present office." Was Clinton accused of besmirching the Presidency because of Whitewater or anything he did before he became President? His past actions, whatever they were or were not, did not besmirch the Office of President. They may have said something about his character before he became President. But his lecherous, unfaithful character, while actually being President, is what disgraced the office of President.

I also said, which you did not include here, was that "if his past actions have not been continued in his role of POTUS, should they be considered the "means" he uses to get things done as President?"

It is not reasonable nor logical to say that what Trump did in the past and is not doing while in office are the means or method that he uses now to do things like growing the economy. That makes no sense.

So the rabbit hole of Whitewater and Vince Foster have nothing to do with what I said. They are a change of subject.
If what you say is the correct path to follow in looking at a president , why did the Republican Congress waste two years investigating Whitewater and how is that different than Trump’s history

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-06-2019, 08:34 PM   #29
detbuch

Quote:
If what you say is the correct path to follow in looking at a president , why did the Republican Congress waste two years investigating Whitewater and how is that different than Trump’s history
I wasn't laying out a "correct" path to follow. I was pointing out illogical thinking. It would have been illogical to say that Clinton was accomplishing something because of what he did in the past if he was not doing the same thing while President.

You are so focused on discrediting Trump that you often cannot respond to what is actually being said, or to what the subject of a thread is. You must, for some reason (Trump hate?), inject your repetitive anti-trump rhetoric even when it has nothing to do with the conversation--except for the running anti-Trump conversation in your head.

As for a correct path to determining how to look at a President, I would say, first of all, look to see how he is performing as a President.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:36 PM   #30
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
I wasn't laying out a "correct" path to follow. I was pointing out illogical thinking. It would have been illogical to say that Clinton was accomplishing something because of what he did in the past if he was not doing the same thing while President.

You are so focused on discrediting Trump that you often cannot respond to what is actually being said, or to what the subject of a thread is. You must, for some reason (Trump hate?), inject your repetitive anti-trump rhetoric even when it has nothing to do with the conversation--except for the running anti-Trump conversation in your head.

As for a correct path to determining how to look at a President, I would say, first of all, look to see how he is performing as a President.
Trump doesn’t need my help to discredit him, he does it on his own assisted by his foolish followers

Lets Go Darwin