Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-24-2014, 05:15 AM   #1
scottw

another bubble?

Dow hit 18,000.....GDP reported way up

this article from the ATLANTIC from 1995 is fascinating....history does repeat whether we like it or not...

http://www.theatlantic.com/past/politics/ecbig/gdp.htm

"The Clinton Administration waited expectantly, but the applause never came. Voters didn't feel better, even though economists said they should. The economy as economists define it was booming, but the individuals who compose it--or a great many of them, at least--were not. President Bill Clinton actually sent his economic advisers on the road to persuade Americans that their experience was wrong and the indicators were right."

"Ample attention was paid to the symptoms: People were working longer hours for less pay. The middle class was slipping while the rich were forging ahead. Commutes were more harried. Crime, congestion, and media violence were increasing. More families were falling apart. A Business Week/Harris poll in March imparted the not surprising news that more than 70 percent of the public was gloomy about the future. "

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2014/1...second-decade/

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/29/politi...-poll-economy/ (call this grim but hopeful)

"Sounding much like the guidance department of a progressive New York grammar school, the Clinton Administration said that Americans were simply suffering the anxieties of adjustment to a wondrous new economy. "
Old 12-24-2014, 09:24 AM   #2
CTSurfrat

I think we are headed that way. The stock market has been fed by the government printing 85 billion dollars a month and other acts of "quantitative easing" Fannie and Freddie are relaxing standards for home loans, in other words, let's go back to lending people money they can't afford to pay back. Sound familiar?? When the FED starts to raise the rates, it could be the tipping point...

Bill
Old 12-24-2014, 10:18 AM   #3
Jim in CT

I think most folks expect the fed to raise rates a bit this year. That'll cause some pullback...
Old 12-24-2014, 02:05 PM   #4
Nebe

2 more years
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 12-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #5
striperman36
Old Guy

The rest of the world is in the tank, there is no where else to go except precious metals.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:26 PM   #6
sburnsey931

I want to move from equities to cash. Wait for 25% retracement and get back in. When the market goes back up I will have a 33% gain.
I know it's crazy....but should I watch this happen and end up in the same position .......with a lot of sweat in between.....
Old 12-24-2014, 04:51 PM   #7
Nebe

Fishweewee was screaming at everyone back in 2008 to pull out of the market and buy gold. He was right back then, but this is a different scenario I believe although I'm no expert by any means.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:11 PM   #8
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburnsey931 View Post
I want to move from equities to cash. Wait for 25% retracement and get back in. When the market goes back up I will have a 33% gain.
Don't forget the capital gains tax when you sell.

" Choose Life "
Old 01-02-2015, 12:09 PM   #9
rphud
GrandBob

bubble schmubble......consider that the Chinese are likely to be the ones sitting on top of the global currency market....now that is scarey and dollar bills won't help you there.

Silver or gold might do it. May need high capacity magazines as well, and rations.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:43 PM   #10
rphud
GrandBob

and batteries, lots of batteries
Old 01-02-2015, 01:13 PM   #11
Nebe

And tin foil
Old 01-02-2015, 01:45 PM   #12
rphud
GrandBob

wrap yourself in to reflect the radiation fallout....after all the satellites are blowed up and missiles have been thrown
Old 01-04-2015, 05:26 PM   #13
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Fishweewee was screaming at everyone back in 2008 to pull out of the market and buy gold. He was right back then, but this is a different scenario I believe although I'm no expert by any means.

He was right

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming: