Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 06-06-2008, 08:32 AM   #1
Mr. Sandman

Crude oil is EXPLODING TODAY!

price up over 6 bucks this moring and flying. Expected to be 150 by 7/4/08.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:34 AM   #2
american spirit
Formerly the_shocker

Gas theft

Have you seen Mad Max Beyond Thunder Dome? Get ready!!
american spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:35 AM   #3
Mr. Sandman

make that 7 bucks
Old 06-06-2008, 01:05 PM   #4
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Take a look at metals too.

Right now gold is up 17.70 and Platinum is up 62..

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #5
Mr. Sandman

now 10.75...IN ONE DAY! 9%
it is out of control

nearly 139/barrel now

heating oil limit up. Its going to a cold winter for a lot of people
Old 06-06-2008, 01:55 PM   #6
Bigcat

Whats spurring this, speculators?

Fly & Light Tackle Fishing
Bigcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:05 PM   #7
Mr. Sandman

11 now!

Yeah speculators but they have their reasons. No major supply shock either...imagine when it does happen.

Imagine trying to run an airline?
Old 06-06-2008, 03:21 PM   #8
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcat View Post
Whats spurring this, speculators?

China and India supposedly.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #9
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
and a forecast that oil would hit $150 by July 4.
Real version: We are going to make oil $150 a barrel by July 4th, we're just calling it 'forecasting' to scare the hell out of all of you.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:30 PM   #10
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Gas is cheap in the UAE,,,, hmmmm,,,????
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:33 PM   #11
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
Real version: We are going to make oil $150 a barrel by July 4th, we're just calling it 'forecasting' to scare the hell out of all of you.
yup.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:25 PM   #12
Backbeach Jake

Get ready for huge changes in the way we live. We're about to take a giant step back to the 1830s. We are so freekin screwed...

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:38 AM   #13
Backbeach Jake

Revolution Rant

Funny that you should mention revoluton. The American people no longer have the balls for one. They are only willing to bicker amongst one another. Stand up to Big Brother? Hell no, he might take your stuff away or lock you up. Band together and even try to go in one direction? You gotta be kidding.
Everyone has their own selfish agenda and can't seem to get by it. Most recently the Hilliry supporters, their girl opted out and now they're splitting over Obama and McCain. All these rising prices are meant to do one thing; enslave the working people of this country. What else would you call working for a net of zero?
The thing that really kills me though, is that China and India will pay the sky high prices that they themselves have created and will have an economic boom because of it.
Greatest country in the world my ass, that would take the greatest people. That was us, but that was then, this is now. No nuts, no glory.
How do you fight your own government when anything contrary to the status quo is labeled "terrorism"? There's a life sentence for Revolutionary acts right there. Like I said we're so screwed...

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Old 06-08-2008, 07:39 AM   #14
OLD GOAT
OLDGOAT7205963

I think you might have something there. This country can't change until we change members of the house and senate. To bad we couldn't hold back on tax money for 90 days to send a message to congress, other than that i think were screwed
OLD GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:57 AM   #15
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl F View Post
Fred I think you are so right... it's splintered today, no unity, and a lot less pride and sense of history... June 6 passed, and hardly a mention of D-Day... Sad.... but D-Day would never happen with this version of America, we'd roll over and take it... How PC would it be to launch a magnificent operation like that today.... knowing that the casualties would be too high to sell to the public... NOT that I am advocating casualities, but that WW2 Generation, much like the American Revolution generation.... had some major BALLS.... and paid the price willingly.... one remaining old WW2 vet I know tho, he has confided in me...if his "guys", as he says, knew how this country was going to change... they would have said to hell with it, and walked away.... I think a lot of us were born a generation or 3 too late, in that aspect as well...
like one old salt told me, shortly before he passed... "I've seen the best of it boy... you'll se the rest of it..."... he's been gone for almost 20 years, but those words haunt me with there truth...

but... alas... I'm being too cynical... again ....

"VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

PS:...
call me when the revolution meetings start

Well spoken, I agree 100%
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:07 PM   #16
Backbeach Jake

There's a lot of truth to this, we have little blood investment, and what we have invested was broken off in our butts in Viet Nam. When you ask a generation to sacrifice there must be a reward, or at least a point. This BS of starting wars for money has got to come to an end. It is beneath us. Win or lose, we never come out ahead, and it reinforces our culture as selfish and vain.
We had a huge oppurtunity, with the fall of the Soviets, to change the world for the better. We had a windfall dropped into our laps that could have proven to the rest of the world that we were indeed who we said we were. Won over our foes by making their lives better. What did we do? We bullied, we threatened, we played favorites and now we wonder why we're despised worldwide. Still we beat our breasts and declare our superiority.That opportunity will never come again.
We depleated our resources to the point where a hurricane destroys a major city and friggin Walmart gets water to the people before our all powerful government even acknowledges the dire straights that NO's citizens are in. FEMA was in total denial. And we claim to know what's better for other countries..
It is OUR government. It is OURS to change, there's a piece of paper somewhere that says so, no matter what our leaders say.
This will be my last for a while on this subject, it just take too much out of me to rehash over and over without fighting to fix it. So I'll just ask, plead, and beg all of you, VOTE for a change, a real change. The Pols who have been "loyal representatives" for umpteen terms have betrayed us all and have sold our futures, our childrens' futures, and our grandchildrens' futures. Their shortsightedness has ruined us all. Now IF we are who we say we are, we can change this, we can regain our pride and remove our shame. It just takes a little courage and a little attention to what's going on in the world.
Vote for a change and vote for your lives

Thomas Paine
Old 06-08-2008, 09:19 PM   #17
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl F View Post
Fred I think you are so right... it's splintered today, no unity, and a lot less pride and sense of history.... one remaining old WW2 vet I know tho, he has confided in me...if his "guys", as he says, knew how this country was going to change... they would have said to hell with it, and walked away....

:
Our country during and after WW2 was a melting pot ,but nationalistic in it's love for America.
Were we perfect, no. Did we make mistakes, yes, but were and still are, the most altruistic country in the world.
Today's professors would have you believe different.

The country changed slowly as people became more and more materialistic, selfish and greedy.
Statesmen sold out, and became " get the vote at any cost politicians",
who never had the guts to put themselves on the line to do what was best for the country.

So here we are today where the lives of these men ,given up for our freedoms, are rarely thought of,
and sacrifice means little more than giving up Perrier for tap water.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:38 PM   #18
Nebe

I think whats going on now with oil is that the oil producers know that this world is on the cusp of some great breakthroughs in alternative energy production. Now is the time for them to screw us as hard as they can before there are more 'options'..

Boy I would love to see #^&#^&#^&#^& Cheeny's 'top secret' energy plan
Old 06-08-2008, 10:08 PM   #19
Joe

Sure - the odds of an alternatives arising grow alongside the rise in gas prices.
At $3 a gallon a hybrid was still not a value over the life of the vehicle - as opposed to say, a gas Civic. In other words, over the life of the vehicle, the fuel savings would not cover the premium and maintainance for the hybrid. But at $6 a gallon - different equation.
Now buying the hybrid is a no-brainer. That's a big change over six months.
Next, electric and bio-fuel become viable alternatives. They are already out there, waiting for the equation to add up.
And at some point, it makes sense to cut your losses. Put a brick on the gas pedal of your F150, point it at the pier, slap that hog into gear, and blow a kiss at her.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:33 PM   #20
UpChunk

This is one of the greatest threads! keep it coming
UpChunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:51 PM   #21
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
And at some point, it makes sense to cut your losses. Put a brick on the gas pedal of your F150, point it at the pier, slap that hog into gear, and blow a kiss at her.
and then report it stolen
Old 06-12-2008, 12:28 PM   #22
kevin d

Nothing will change until we as a people start putting the country before self. We have become too selfish and self centered. I thought that the 9/11 could have a binding effect on this country but soon realized it wouldn't last. More people were killed at the WTC than Pearl Harbor and in less than 72 hours people were complaining about missing their tv shows due to the coverage of the WTC.

We need to stop electing politicians because of what they claim they are going to do for you. Elect those who plan to do something for the country as a whole. By the way, "change" isn't a policy unless you tell me what you want to change and how you plan to do it.
I have lots more to bitch about but I'll let others tie up the bandwidth for now.....
kevin d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:54 PM   #23
whiplash
Sand pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
I think whats going on now with oil is that the oil producers know that this world is on the cusp of some great breakthroughs in alternative energy production. Now is the time for them to screw us as hard as they can before there are more 'options'..

Boy I would love to see #^&#^&#^&#^& Cheeny's 'top secret' energy plan
Your seeing it now! Everybodies starting to drill again and reopen all the wells they capped in "81" Halburton well supplies are back to making a killing here- Don't think Cheny isn't making money

In wine there is wisdom.
In beer there is freedom.
In water there is Bacteria!
whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:34 AM   #24
Mr. Sandman

Up 4 bucks/barrel this morning.

140/barrel in sights.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:15 AM   #25
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin d View Post
Nothing will change until we as a people start putting the country before self. We have become too selfish and self centered. I thought that the 9/11 could have a binding effect on this country but soon realized it wouldn't last. More people were killed at the WTC than Pearl Harbor and in less than 72 hours people were complaining about missing their tv shows due to the coverage of the WTC.

We need to stop electing politicians because of what they claim they are going to do for you. Elect those who plan to do something for the country as a whole. By the way, "change" isn't a policy unless you tell me what you want to change and how you plan to do it.
You nailed it, Kevin.

BTW- prolly close to $5 by July 4th.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote