Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Old 04-25-2019, 04:33 PM   #1
Guppy
User

Gaff

The Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries has implemented two new striped bass conservation regulations aimed at reducing release mortality:

· Effective immediately, it is unlawful for any fisherman to gaff or attempt to gaff striped bass measuring less than 28 inches total length, and for a commercial fisherman fishing on an open commercial striped bass fishing day to gaff striped bass measuring less than 34 inches total length.

Circle hooks next yr.

Hope it helps
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:45 PM   #2
redlite

The net manufacturers must have gotten a ringer of a lobbyist to get this done. Won't stop the morons from Gaff and release technique
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
redlite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:09 AM   #3
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite View Post
The net manufacturers must have gotten a ringer of a lobbyist to get this done. Won't stop the morons from Gaff and release technique
This
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:06 AM   #4
beamie

That is reasonable

I thought they were going to eliminate gaffing bass totally

Anyone gaffing and releasing should be fined etc. no excuse for that.

I am glad they wrote it like they did. Netting a big fish that you intend to keep when your alone with a big net is not easy imo.
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:04 AM   #5
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

I never used a gaff in the surf or on my boat. I have landed fish over 40# in both venues without a net or gaff. What happened to grabbing the fish by the lower jaw? If I were to keep a fish, that's the way I learned to land fish. Must be a lost art "old school" thing.

BTW, if I were not keeping the fish I never took her out of the water. That's what pliers are for.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:35 AM   #6
bassballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
I never used a gaff in the surf or on my boat. I have landed fish over 40# in both venues without a net or gaff. What happened to grabbing the fish by the lower jaw? If I were to keep a fish, that's the way I learned to land fish. Must be a lost art "old school" thing.

BTW, if I were not keeping the fish I never took her out of the water. That's what pliers are for.
Same here Paul, Ive never used a gaff or net for striped bass. Pulled fish up to high 40lbs no issue by throwing my hand on its jaw. Never got the use of a gaff for bass fishing.
bassballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:41 PM   #7
Cool Beans

I have bee considering getting a gaff to be dual purpose for fish and to hook lobster buoy lines. I currently use a skinny board with a nail pounded in it to grab the lines.

I have been told the gaff is better to use for fluke than a net....?
Cool Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:35 PM   #8
Rockfish9

I haven't gaffed a fish since 04, I've netted plenty of big ones...alone,not that hard, but nets are a PITA,and probably not great for the fish I've also grabbed many by the lower lip, works good until you get one that someone live lining with a treble hook breaks it off and you catch it,I've got 2 ugly scars on my middle and trigger finger of my right hand..these days, I'll release them in the water when I can, I have one of those ARC dehookers that works pretty well

I see a 2020 mandate on in line circles, I've been using them for a few years now, not sure how much they save, I do know they have cost me a few fish..but I can live with that.
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:45 PM   #9
beamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post
I have bee considering getting a gaff to be dual purpose for fish and to hook lobster buoy lines. I currently use a skinny board with a nail pounded in it to grab the lines.

I have been told the gaff is better to use for fluke than a net....?

Go to a lobster gear supply place and buy a gaff with just a rounded point, therefore you don't have to pay attention to the point.....well worth it.

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote