Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-17-2018, 02:51 PM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

Who's stopping immigration reform?

Donald J. Trump

Verified account

@realDonaldTrump
Follow Follow @realDonaldTrump
More
Hard to believe that with thousands of people from South of the Border, walking unimpeded toward our country in the form of large Caravans, that the Democrats won’t approve legislation that will allow laws for the protection of our country. Great Midterm issue for Republicans!

6:45 AM - 17 Oct 2018

Has he forgotten that the Republicans hold both Congress and the Presidency?
How is it the democrats fault that he can rarely get enough of his party to agree on anything to pass it?
The republicans had years to come up with plans to accomplish things while they were doing the easy job of being the minority party playing the delay card and then holding Congress, obstructing and delaying for more years
Now holding all the cards, he is such a weak baby, he can't get what he wants done.

In June a bipartisan immigration bill was working it's way thru Congress and Trump responded in an obstructing tweet

Jun 22, 2018 06:06:30 AM Republicans should stop wasting their time on Immigration until after we elect more Senators and Congressmen/women in November. Dems are just playing games, have no intention of doing anything to solves this decades old problem. We can pass great legislation after the Red Wave!

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-17-2018, 03:21 PM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Has he forgotten that the Republicans hold both Congress and the Presidency?
How is it the democrats fault that he can rarely get enough of his party to agree on anything to pass it?
They don't have a filibuster proof majority in the senate.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 10-17-2018, 03:36 PM   #3
Pete F.
Canceled

There are very low odds that the republicans will get to 60 votes in the midterms.
The republicans have not had a filibuster proof majority in close to the last 100 years.
If you won't consider compromise, you may not be a great negotiator.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-17-2018, 05:14 PM   #4
detbuch

Quote:
There are very low odds that the republicans will get to 60 votes in the midterms.
The republicans have not had a filibuster proof majority in close to the last 100 years.
If you won't consider compromise, you may not be a great negotiator.
A great negotiator realizes the difference between compromise and surrender. If caving in on immigration, the key item that won Trump the Presidency, is not the surrender that Dems want, what do they wish to accomplish? The solutions that have been offered as compromise on immigration are basically the same solutions that led to further and greater illegal immigration. Sounds like surrender.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:51 PM   #5
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
A great negotiator realizes the difference between compromise and surrender. If caving in on immigration, the key item that won Trump the Presidency, is not the surrender that Dems want, what do they wish to accomplish? The solutions that have been offered as compromise on immigration are basically the same solutions that led to further and greater illegal immigration. Sounds like surrender.
What immigration reform would increase illegal immigration
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-17-2018, 06:14 PM   #6
detbuch

Quote:
What immigration reform would increase illegal immigration
Path to citizenship for illegals before necessary border protections and penalties for those caught are instituted.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:32 PM   #7
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Path to citizenship for illegals before necessary border protections and penalties for those caught are instituted.
How does having a path to citizenship for people here increase the number of illegal immigrants

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-17-2018, 07:00 PM   #8
detbuch

Quote:
How does having a path to citizenship for people here increase the number of illegal immigrants
If that path is granted before the border is secured, that will encourage more illegals to come with the notion that they too will eventually have a path, as it has consistently done with paths to citizenship without border security in the past. And that is even more so when promised border security does not happen.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:03 PM   #9
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
If that path is granted before the border is secured, that will encourage more illegals to come with the notion that they too will eventually have a path, as it has consistently done with paths to citizenship without border security in the past. And that is even more so if promised border security does not happen.
What is the border security that is required

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-17-2018, 07:06 PM   #10
detbuch

Quote:
What is the border security that is required
How about your beloved "compromise"? You may believe that what Trump wants won't work, but make the compromise. Give him what he wants and you get the path.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:10 PM   #11
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
How about your beloved "compromise"? You may believe that what Trump wants won't work, but make the compromise. Give him what he wants and you get the path.
What is it

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-17-2018, 07:14 PM   #12
detbuch

Quote:
What is it
Ask him, or the Republican Congress. If I recall correctly, there is the request that border security be done first. In the past, the path was done, and the security never developed.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:20 PM   #13
Pete F.
Canceled

Pretty difficult question I guess
Old 10-17-2018, 07:23 PM   #14
detbuch

Quote:
Pretty difficult question I guess
Yeah . . . I guess . . . if you call for compromise but don't know what to compromise on . . . that would be pretty difficult . . .
Old 10-17-2018, 07:27 PM   #15
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Yeah . . . I guess . . . if you call for compromise but don't know what to compromise on . . . that would be pretty difficult . . .
Perhaps trump should say what he wants then

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-17-2018, 07:32 PM   #16
detbuch

Quote:
Perhaps trump should say what he wants then
Perhaps you shouldn't bring up the suggestion that Trump should compromise (you brought it up, not him) if you don't have a clue as to what there is to compromise on.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:52 PM   #17
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Perhaps you shouldn't bring up the suggestion that Trump should compromise (you brought it up, not him) if you don't have a clue as to what there is to compromise on.
Every time a bipartisan solution was proposed he changed the goal.
That’s what he did
Great negotiator
Currently he’s showing us his impressive leadership skills with the Saudi incident, remember it’s all about jobs
He has a different opinion of what Buy America means than I do

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-17-2018, 07:59 PM   #18
detbuch

Quote:
Every time a bipartisan solution was proposed he changed the goal.
That’s what he did
Great negotiator

I don't know about every time and him changing. I do remember him calling the Dems bluff by offering to give citizenship to more illegals than the Dems were asking for. They turned that down. Great negotiators. Great phonies. They wanted the issue, not compromise or immigration reform.

Currently he’s showing us his impressive leadership skills with the Saudi incident, remember it’s all about jobs
He has a different opinion of what Buy America means than I do
I guess that makes you a better man.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:11 PM   #19
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
I guess that makes you a better man.
He made an offer, they said yes and he then reneged. Typical Trump

American Man
Americans have sacrificed and paid for 75 years what Trump is destroying in his first term.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-17-2018, 09:31 PM   #20
detbuch

Quote:
He made an offer, they said yes and he then reneged. Typical Trump

I don't recall a yes to his plan. The Senate voted on four plans after he proposed his. His plan garnered the least overall votes and the most no's by Democrats.

American Man
Americans have sacrificed and paid for 75 years what Trump is destroying in his first term.
Are you the model "American Man"? Americans sacrificed and paid for over 200 years what Progressives/Democrats have been destroying for the last 80 years.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:52 PM   #21
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Are you the model "American Man"? Americans sacrificed and paid for over 200 years what Progressives/Democrats and Republicans have been destroying for the last 80 years.
Fixed it for you
Perhaps you’ve forgotten who started the Progessive party

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-17-2018, 10:15 PM   #22
detbuch

Quote:
Fixed it for you
Perhaps you’ve forgotten who started the Progessive party
Progressives started the Progressive party. Both Republicans and Democrats have been Progressives. I don't even know the party affiliations of the mid to late 19th century Progressive theorists. I have stated a few times on this forum that the first Progressive President was T. Roosevelt, a nominal Republican. Herbert Hoover was also a Progressive. Nixon very often acted as a Progressive. But virtually all Democrat Presidents from Wilson till now have been Progressive. And the Democrat Congresses have been solidly Progressive since FDR. So the Dem Party is more heavily Progressive and has been for some time. It has even gone further left than the original and mid to late 20th century Progressives.

Are you the model "American Man"?
Old 10-17-2018, 10:49 PM   #23
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Progressives started the Progressive party. Both Republicans and Democrats have been Progressives. I don't even know the party affiliations of the mid to late 19th century Progressive theorists. I have stated a few times on this forum that the first Progressive President was T. Roosevelt, a nominal Republican. Herbert Hoover was also a Progressive. Nixon very often acted as a Progressive. But virtually all Democrat Presidents from Wilson till now have been Progressive. And the Democrat Congresses have been solidly Progressive since FDR. So the Dem Party is more heavily Progressive and has been for some time. It has even gone further left than the original and mid to late 20th century Progressives.

Are you the model "American Man"?
Perhaps
Try January 11 of this year for when Trump reneged
Of course he never denies that he said something but people who he’s negotiating with should trust him

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-17-2018, 10:53 PM   #24
Pete F.
Canceled

You also left out Nixon
Though I would think you would like him he had a big authoritarian side also
Old 10-17-2018, 11:36 PM   #25
detbuch

Quote:
You also left out Nixon
Though I would think you would like him he had a big authoritarian side also
No, I didn't leave him out. In the middle of my post I said "Nixon very often acted as a Progressive. "
Old 10-17-2018, 11:53 PM   #26
detbuch

Quote:
Perhaps
Try January 11 of this year for when Trump reneged
Of course he never denies that he said something but people who he’s negotiating with should trust him
Are you saying that two weeks before Trump proposed to grant the 1.8 million a path to citizenship, he reneged on the plan? He reneged before he made the proposal?
Old 10-18-2018, 01:04 AM   #27
detbuch

Quote:
American Man
You say that "perhaps" you're the model "American Man." If the model is to be as indecisive as you demonstrate with your constant barrage of questions that you don't answer or answer with inscrutable comments or with more questions, it is a wonder how this supposed "American Man" accomplished anything over the past 75 years for Trump to destroy.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:19 AM   #28
wdmso

total length of the southern border with mexico is 1,954 miles..

Only conservatives see it as easy as putting up a fence in your backyard security does not equal zero ... but you can't compromise with thoses who unrealistically use Zero as a starting point

PS until things are better where people live they will never stop trying to go someplace better. americans do it all the time its called moving from state to state where the work is
Old 10-18-2018, 06:15 AM   #29
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
total length of the southern border with mexico is 1,954 miles..

Only conservatives see it as easy as putting up a fence in your backyard security does not equal zero ... but you can't compromise with thoses who unrealistically use Zero as a starting point

No. People that are willing to discuss this beyond just a wedge issue realize it is more than just a fence (wall) and will take more than just a fence.

In a just world, politicians would have closed excess illegal migration 20 years ago, and offered more and better legal migration, but then both parties could not weaponize this particularly effective wedge issue.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 10-18-2018, 07:10 AM   #30
Pete F.
Canceled

Who said this? "Rather than talking about putting up a fence," the future president said. "Why don't we work out some recognition of our mutual problems?"
And this
"Many undocumented workers walked mile after mile, through heat of day and cold of the night. Some have risked their lives in dangerous desert border crossings," "Workers who seek only to earn a living end up in the shadows of American life."
Hint not Dems