Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Computers

Computers Sidetrack to Computers, Questions on your home computer? Posting just for registered members....

Old 10-23-2006, 12:27 PM   #1
Karl F

New Tower

//

Last edited by Karl F; 04-06-2009 at 09:22 PM..
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:13 PM   #2
Raven

Question how big

a buck?

Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:43 AM   #3
Jonny5-22796

Sadly DELL has this market, their new workstations arent that bad and fairly cheap.

Although if you go to the Staples on Post rd they still have a couple of Compaq's prior to their buyout. Great setups except they put these cheap plastic covers over the drive bays and stometimes they rattle.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"I went to a wedding last week for two Antennas...the ceremony was lousy but the reception was great."
Jonny5-22796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 11:05 AM   #4
MrHunters
What was that!?!

if you got someone handy near ya, building one yourself i feel is always the best bang for your buck. You may pay a wee bit more but your are assured quality performing parts. Dell towers these days are throw aways after a few years. With one you built you can get more miles and upgrading is much easier. (and cheaper than replacing) in the long run.
only down side is if anything fails you have to deal with the OEM's instead of the dells/compaqs etc..

If you want some help shoot me a pm with what you want you use your computer for and what your budget is.
MrHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 01:43 PM   #5
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHunters View Post
if you got someone handy near ya, building one yourself i feel is always the best bang for your buck. You may pay a wee bit more but your are assured quality performing parts. Dell towers these days are throw aways after a few years. With one you built you can get more miles and upgrading is much easier. (and cheaper than replacing) in the long run.
only down side is if anything fails you have to deal with the OEM's instead of the dells/compaqs etc..

If you want some help shoot me a pm with what you want you use your computer for and what your budget is.

That is the thing. For pure $$ I cannot beat a d ell on price. BUT If you want to be in a position where every 12-18 months or so you do a major upgrade to a system the home building is where it is at...

May 05 I bought a new Motherboard Asus A8n-e, AMD 64 3200 CPU, IGB Mem, 160 GB Sata drive. I had a 17" Hitachi LCD, DVDRW, decent case, etc. Aug 06 I bought a AMD X2 4400 and I practically doubled the speed and will run this as my primary for another year.

My backup is a XP2500, who's backup is a P4 2.8, who's backup is a XP1800, who's backup is a Althlon 1200, who's backup is a P4 2.4 (boat computer ) - Hmmmm - and I still have that XP3200 Chip

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:45 PM   #6
MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
That is the thing. For pure $$ I cannot beat a d ell on price. BUT If you want to be in a position where every 12-18 months or so you do a major upgrade to a system the home building is where it is at...

May 05 I bought a new Motherboard Asus A8n-e, AMD 64 3200 CPU, IGB Mem, 160 GB Sata drive. I had a 17" Hitachi LCD, DVDRW, decent case, etc. Aug 06 I bought a AMD X2 4400 and I practically doubled the speed and will run this as my primary for another year.

My backup is a XP2500, who's backup is a P4 2.8, who's backup is a XP1800, who's backup is a Althlon 1200, who's backup is a P4 2.4 (boat computer ) - Hmmmm - and I still have that XP3200 Chip
How about a used or refurbished laptop.? Anything you want to part with?
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 12:27 PM   #7
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Hey Karl I need a new computer too. Mine is so old I am using windows 98. My buddy builds them and he told me to get a dell. I think he just doesn't have the time but he told me he couldn't build it as cheap as a dell would cost. Got to do someting before the tax year runs out. BTW my friends told me to use the AVG antivirus a year ago after I had all kinds of problems with the Norton. It has been great and it is a free edition. Save the money for the tin boat. P.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 05:33 PM   #8
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Go to http://www.fatwallet.com/c/18/

And keep an eye on the Dell deals by checking daily. Over the course of a couple weeks a good deal 20-30% or 200-300 bucks off will come along and then you need to pull the trigger. GET AT LEAST 2 YR warranty - sure it's extra but a lot of the dell stuff is proprietary and built into the motherboard, which if fails, can be $$

MAC - no laptops. But go to the same site and keep an eye on laptop deals, especially on Friday & Sat as often Sundays at a big box store will have something cheap...

As long as you are not gaming this is not a bad deal: http://www.outpost.com/entry?site=op...06&sku=4996101 though not a great deal either...

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 06:50 PM   #9
Raven

when speed is an Issue

on boxes running 98

you right click your start button and see whats actually
on the "start" menu

because once that's unecessarilly crowded from clicking yes
on the installation's proceedure....when adding programs

you slow it down to a snails pace.

shouldn't be much on your start menu at all.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote