Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Sponsors Specials » Surfcasting Rhode Island

Surfcasting Rhode Island Online tackle shop with useful and unique items and fishing content.

Old 12-03-2005, 01:14 AM   #1
Jonny5-22796

Line Recommendations

Just picked up a Tsunami trophy surf rod, looking to pair it with a penn 6500SS.

My question is what would be the best line choice for this setup for the spring?

I'd like to actually go to whichever bait shop and know what I'm asking for instead of just saying "Ummm, can I have this spun with 20# test" which of course would tangle up every night I went out this year .

Any comments or suggestions appreciated!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"I went to a wedding last week for two Antennas...the ceremony was lousy but the reception was great."
Old 12-03-2005, 07:42 AM   #2
Joe

It sort of depends on what the rod rated for and if you expect to change to a different line once the larger fish arrive...
But to answer in the most general sense, I would say to put about 1/3 of a spool of 25-pound mono as backing and then do the rest of the spool with 15 pound mono (for spring schoolie fishing) and to ask the person spooling the reel to stop 1/4" from the outside of the spool edge. Some shops overfill spools and that is what causes the problems. I like Berkley Big Game Green.
After the spool is loaded I like to go someplace and make a couple of casts with a bank sinker, or drift a plug a long way in a current to get the twist out.

Old 12-03-2005, 12:32 PM   #3
Jonny5-22796

Thanks Joe

What about a braided setup? Any benefits? Cost isnt really a problem.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"I went to a wedding last week for two Antennas...the ceremony was lousy but the reception was great."