Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Sponsors Specials » Surfcasting Rhode Island

Surfcasting Rhode Island Online tackle shop with useful and unique items and fishing content.

Old 03-14-2006, 08:55 PM   #1
Jonny5-22796

Penn 7500SS Line Suggestion

Hi Joe,

Came back to check on a question I had asked a while ago but noticed you deleted the topic, actually all the topics, what gives?
Old topics help pass time at work...

Anyhoo, any line suggestions for a 7500SS? Its on a Tsunami trophy and don't plan on changing the line until next year.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"I went to a wedding last week for two Antennas...the ceremony was lousy but the reception was great."
Old 03-15-2006, 09:31 AM   #2
Joe

I did not delete the old topics - I don't have any administrative powers here.
If you only want to use only one line I would suggest mono, 20 pound Yo-Zuri Hybrid or Stren or Big Game.
Do however keep an eye on the last 10 feet and clip off any frayed line.

Old 03-15-2006, 09:18 PM   #3
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

Jonny I use mono on most of my reels and I would change aleast
twice a year, the reels I use the most get changed 2 to 3 times a
year.

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
Old 03-15-2006, 10:08 PM   #4
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Your default option is to show threads from the last month. At the bottom of the forum, there's a window marked "Display Options" with a drop down menu you can use to display threads from as far back as the beginning of Joe's forum--or any other forum

I would never expect a single load of mono to last a whole season. Even if you don't fish around rocks, it absorbs water and weakens from both that and UV exposure during the day. 20# mono is the right line for a 7500. You'll get two spool fills from a 1/4 pound spool of Big Game or Ande Pink--I'd suggest swapping it out around mid-season if you fish a lot. Compared to what you spend on the rest of your gear, mono is dirt cheap.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:09 AM   #5
baldwin

30# Fireline.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:43 PM   #6
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

For mono I change it at least 1x a month during the season... for braid I reverse it once a season unless I got a break off or two....
I second 20lb on the 7500 or 30lb AN-40

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 03-17-2006, 05:44 PM   #7
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

The other thing about mono, is that like anything else that stretches, it can lose its elasticity and become brittle. I've had bluefish blitzes where it happened in the course of an afternoon. Constantly getting stretched, then relaxing, all of a sudden it just breaks on ya and a nice plug swims off attached to a bluefish.

One pound bulk spool of 20# Big Game, almost 3000 yards, costs what? $30? You can refill that 7500 spool 5 times a season and it'll last you 2 years. Don't try to scrimp on line.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:25 AM   #8
Joe

I agree 100% about what Mike and Rock reccomend - cheaping out on the frequency of changing line is a big mistake.
But the question was not put forth that way; for whatever reason, the guy does not want to change his line.