Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-30-2009, 05:53 AM   #1
Bill L

Ummm,,,,Ahhhh...Um...Ahhhhh....Ummmm

Not very impressive
Old 04-30-2009, 06:50 AM   #2
spence

I bit dry, some good humor and some very good responses. What does impress me is that he obviously understands the issues for which he's responsible for making decisions, and can articulate his position well.

What exactly were you looking for?

-spence
Old 04-30-2009, 06:56 AM   #3
Duke41
got gas?

Spence what is this, are you and I on the same page for once.
Am I getting in touch with my inner liberal? lol
Old 04-30-2009, 06:57 AM   #4
PaulS

I was out not catching anything.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:12 AM   #5
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

Not the best public speaker ever to hold position thats for sure.

Make America Great Again.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:28 AM   #6
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I watched for 10 minutes and then left the room. Seriosuly, what a bore. He still constantly sounds like he is campaigning!

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 04-30-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

I didn't see it but I want to do a Spencism here:

Parahprasing, err, Spencerphrasing here:

"Well, obviously that was a problem or two, but overall, what fantastic effort, breaking the paradigm while reaching to all parties in an effort to forward the global commons. I'm impressed at this part Abe Lincoln, part Bill Gates, part Gandhi like figure."

Spencism: Start off with partial agreemement to establish commonality with poster, than redirect to other flowery aspects, real or imagined"

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 04-30-2009, 09:27 AM   #8
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

JohnR, thats f'in brilliant

Old 04-30-2009, 09:50 AM   #9
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
I didn't see it but I want to do a Spencism here:

Parahprasing, err, Spencerphrasing here:

"Well, obviously that was a problem or two, but overall, what fantastic effort, breaking the paradigm while reaching to all parties in an effort to forward the global commons. I'm impressed at this part Abe Lincoln, part Bill Gates, part Gandhi like figure."

Spencism: Start off with partial agreemement to establish commonality with poster, than redirect to other flowery aspects, real or imagined"

BING F'N GO!

You have just nailed it! I was trying to put it into words, but you did a much better job than I would have.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 04-30-2009, 10:22 AM   #10
Bill L

Quote:
and can articulate his position well.
Are you serious?

I guess I was hoping to see a President who could, umm, well, ahh, articulate himself well on a series of softball questions.

To be honest, I turned it on at 8:30 and the first question I saw was related to Rush Limbaugh and the state of the Republican Party. OK, thats real important. A couple more question, one about what was he most surprised, humbled, enchanted, etc., which he proceded to stumbled through (BTW, with all the chuckling with this one, was this what you think was "good humor"?). Then one on abortion, which he hemmed and hawed some more while answering. I couldn't watch anymore after that.

Like Jimmy said, it seemed like he was still campaigning and playing politics.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:30 AM   #11
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Bill, those are the exact same parts I saw. The abortion part was hilarious, what the hell was his point?

Old 04-30-2009, 10:30 AM   #12
JohnnyD

For someone that's fed everything from a teleprompter, he did a good job of creating the illusion that he was actually thinking of a response.

I miss the old days of a President that made up words, mispronounced anything over 2 syllables and often mixed up the two countries he decided to invade.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:44 AM   #13
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
For someone that's fed everything from a teleprompter, he did a good job of creating the illusion that he was actually thinking of a response.

I miss the old days of a President that made up words, mispronounced anything over 2 syllables and often mixed up the two countries he decided to invade.
That's exactly the point, Obama is actually thinking up responses to the questions rather than just reciting the same tired talking points.

-spence
Old 04-30-2009, 10:46 AM   #14
spence

Quote:
What was imagined? I guess you don't think Obama has a good comprehension of the issues?

What you take for commonality I regard as objectivity. I'm simply calling it like I see it...

-spence
Old 04-30-2009, 11:53 AM   #15
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
That's exactly the point, Obama is actually thinking up responses to the questions rather than just reciting the same tired talking points.

-spence
Spence he thought those answers up after the New York Times and the other rags emailed them to him. Your right he didn't need a prompt for that news conference. Enchanted............right

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 04-30-2009, 11:54 AM   #16
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:

come on guys, you;re trying way to hard. If someone in my workplace attended a meeting and answered questions like that he'd be labeled an idiot. Trust me, people have, and we call the idiots.

stop comparing him to Bush, compare him to good leaders.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:01 PM   #17
JohnR

Spence, what I mean is that (almost) regardless of the subject, if it is critical of the left you start off with a tiny slice of agreement and then drive the topic of discussion to other points, real or imagined.

No harm no foul. Like I said, I didn't even watch the event, so I cannot (and did not) form an opinion. But I did know how the flow and rhythm (a/k/a thr Spencism) would be for your response .

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 05-01-2009, 06:18 AM   #18
spence

Quote:
Spence, what I mean is that (almost) regardless of the subject, if it is critical of the left you start off with a tiny slice of agreement and then drive the topic of discussion to other points, real or imagined.

No harm no foul. Like I said, I didn't even watch the event, so I cannot (and did not) form an opinion. But I did know how the flow and rhythm (a/k/a thr Spencism) would be for your response .
Well, I work as a consultant focused on executive value messaging. I'd just take this as good discipline in forming arguments, which need to be properly structured to be consistently effective.

If this is somehow unique enough that it deserves a personalized ummm proper'ism, then I must be even more special than I had previously thought

-spence

Last edited by spence; 05-01-2009 at 06:26 AM..
Old 05-01-2009, 06:47 AM   #19
JohnR

Quote:
Well, I work as a consultant focused on executive value messaging. I'd just take this as good discipline in forming arguments, which need to be properly structured to be consistently effective.

If this is somehow unique enough that it deserves a personalized ummm proper'ism, then I must be even more special than I had previously thought

-spence
Yuze makin' mah point.

You probably can fix all the world's problems in PowerPoint too

Sorry Spence, just making a note that your cadance, err, executive value messaging in debate, is pretty consistent. I suppose that is pretty good in many arenas

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 05-01-2009, 07:06 AM   #20
Cool Beans

Quote:

-spence
This explains a lot!
You are actually trained in "double-speak".
Hell, you actually make your living at it....
You should write speeches for Obama, you compose very eloquent posts that almost make a point/decision, but there always seems to be that "back door" to be able to "deny it all".....

Don't take this wrong Spence, you are one of the more competent liberals I've ran into to. Always a fun debate......
Old 05-01-2009, 09:15 AM   #21
eastendlu

Back to the topic at hand i don't understand why all the criticism of how Obama thought and paused about answering the questions asked i mean ummm ammmm as in if the guy says something in the least bit one way or the other someone will be making a mountain out of a mole hill anyways so i can understand his pausing to answer.Considering the pressure he or for that matter anyone else that has been POTUS i think he handled himself well at least when you look into his eyes you know their is intelligence in there not like the last guy.

Originally Posted by Flaptail
"Throw plugs like we do that will cause them to suffer humility. Pogies make any fisherman look good when bass are around. Bait is easy."
Old 05-01-2009, 09:43 AM   #22
JohnnyD

eastendlu,

Quite frankly, it didn't matter what happened during the press conference. Regardless of what happened or what was said, someone would have made a post critical of it and the "Let's hate anything Obama does" crowd jumps on the bandwagon.

Posts like this just make it clear that they're reaching for straws. People will bitch and complain about anything. I'm surprised we haven't heard any complaints about what the Obamas have chosen to put in their vegetable garden.

While legitimate concerns about some of Obama's policies do exist, much of it gets drowned out by the noise of pissing and moaning over because "he says ummm too much".
Old 05-01-2009, 10:28 AM   #23
buckman

Quote:
eastendlu,

Quite frankly, it didn't matter what happened during the press conference. Regardless of what happened or what was said, someone would have made a post critical of it and the "Let's hate anything Obama does" crowd jumps on the bandwagon.

Posts like this just make it clear that they're reaching for straws. People will bitch and complain about anything. I'm surprised we haven't heard any complaints about what the Obamas have chosen to put in their vegetable garden.

While legitimate concerns about some of Obama's policies do exist, much of it gets drowned out by the noise of pissing and moaning over because "he says ummm too much".
Ummm Ahhh Ummmm.. sounds like the Bush bashers to me.

Not enough variety....

http://www.blackvoices.com/blogs/200...is-that-funny/
Old 05-01-2009, 03:29 PM   #24
Bill L

Quote:
Posts like this just make it clear that they're reaching for straws. People will bitch and complain about anything......While legitimate concerns about some of Obama's policies do exist, much of it gets drowned out by the noise of pissing and moaning over because "he says ummm too much".
Not pissing or moaning, just said I wasn't impressed. If he's as sharp as you say he is you'd think he could put two sentences together a little quicker.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:47 PM   #25
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill L View Post
Not pissing or moaning, just said I wasn't impressed. If he's as sharp as you say he is you'd think he could put two sentences together a little quicker.
Sounds like you're asserting you believe you're smarter and more articulate?

-spence
Old 05-01-2009, 05:09 PM   #26
Bill L

Quote:
Yeah, that's it, I think I'm smarter than the President
Old 05-01-2009, 05:33 PM   #27
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill L View Post
Yeah, that's it, I think I'm smarter than the President
Well, you seem to believe you have the credentials to make an informed judgment.

-spence
Old 05-01-2009, 05:43 PM   #28
buckman

Quote:

-spence
I know your smarter and more articulate.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:05 PM   #29
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I know your smarter and more articulate.
And deliver the executive value message

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 05-01-2009, 08:15 PM   #30
spence

Quote:
And deliver the executive value message

-spence