Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 05-02-2009, 08:32 AM   #1
Rob Rockcrawler

Govenor Patrick to the Supreme Court...

Just heard it on the news, he is on the short list for a Supreme Court Justice job. I cant stand the guy personally, and he is only going to be a one term governor. I dont think he has the stuggots to run again. He became our governor as a way to further his career. I am a bit on the liberal side but dont want someone like him on the court for the next 40 years.

Everything is better on the rocks.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:37 AM   #2
spence

I doubt that's going to happen, odds are it will be a woman and I don't think Deval has enough of a resume to be seen as anything more than another Harriet Myers.

Although, let's consider the possibility just to see some members here thrash about in pain

-spence
Old 05-02-2009, 08:43 AM   #3
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

I find that hard to believe--Obama is too smart to nominate a hack like Coupe Deval. With no prior judicial experience, it's very unlikely that the ABA will find him "qualified", and he'll have a hard time getting confirmed without that endorsement.

The ABA has no official standing in the process, just an advisory one, but without a "qualified" rating a nominee has an uphill fight.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:19 AM   #4
Cool Beans

It's just politics..... put out a "short list" of non-comps that he probably wont be picking from so the media and the right will concentrate on picking the "short list" folks apart, then out of the blue he will pick a close to qualified woman (maybe Hispanic dissent) and she will appear a lot better than those on the "short list".
Old 05-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
buckman

We need an Hispanic, disabled, gay woman on the bench. There are to many white men. I think above all this should be the bases for the next SCJ....... Idiots
Old 05-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
JohnnyD

I think the idea of the pick "needing to be a woman, and probably of a minority group" is a huge load of bs.

Enough of this affirmative action garbage. I'm tired of people being chosen for government positions based, not on their resume, but on their ethnic background.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
striperman36
Old Guy

I agree
Old 05-02-2009, 11:03 AM   #8
Cool Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
We need an Hispanic, disabled, gay woman on the bench. There are to many white men. I think above all this should be the bases for the next SCJ....... Idiots
Someone listens to Rush...

Heard that yesterday too.

I am definitely not proposing that is has to be a woman, it's more of a prediction....

I personally believe they should, like any other promotion anywhere, PICK THE MOST QUALIFIED PERSON without ever considering race, religion, or sexual preferences. Judge by Merit and not by perceptions.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:19 AM   #9
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post
I personally believe they should, like any other promotion anywhere, PICK THE MOST QUALIFIED PERSON without ever considering race, religion, or sexual preferences. Judge by Merit and not by perceptions.
They must be throwing around snowballs in hell, because we 100% agree on something. Hell has officially frozen over.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:59 AM   #10
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post
I'd certainly agree that qualifications should be the primary selection criteria.

But there are well qualified people from all walks of life. While I don't think the Supreme Court must reflect society, personally I'd rather see a well qualified and diverse Supreme Court than a well qualified non-diverse court.

Considering there's only one woman on the court at present (Ginsberg), who will be pushing 80 soon, I think the notion of nominating a well qualified woman would be prudent and shouldn't be looked at as a negative because of an affirmative action stigma.

-spence
Old 05-02-2009, 07:32 PM   #11
Cool Beans

I dont have any problems with a woman as long as Obama honestly picks the person he thinks is most qualified. As a multi racial guy, he should be more in tune with this and try to pick the best person for the job. My fingers are crossed and I hope for the best. This country survived Carter, we survived Bush (said to make left happy) and we will survive Obama. This country sometimes seems crazy, we can't drive straight down the road, every 4 years or so we switch drivers who yanks the wheel either left or right. If we were in a car, we'd be pulled over for DUI......
Old 05-02-2009, 10:22 PM   #12
Squid kids Dad

We could only wish Duval would be picked..Good ridance

I'm going where I'm going...
Old 05-03-2009, 06:06 AM   #13
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid kids Dad View Post
We could only wish Duval would be picked..Good ridance

I have have very different wishes for his "good riddance"

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 05-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #14
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Rockcrawler View Post
He became our governor as a way to further his career.
What exactly do you think Mitt's reasoning was for being Governor? To "help" the state?

Ski Quicks Hole