Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 05-26-2009, 08:53 AM   #1
Cool Beans

Obama picks Sotomayor for high court

Called this one didn't I? I posted a while back that he would pick a Hispanic woman.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090526/..._supreme_court

Sounds like she's a qualified Hispanic women, but doubt she is the most qualified person for the job. Didn't agree with affirmative action and don't agree with this either.

An example of her judgement:
As an appellate judge, she sided with the city of New Haven, Conn., in a discrimination case brought by white firefighters after the city threw out results of a promotion exam because two few minorities scored high enough. Ironically, that case is now before the Supreme Court.

Last edited by Cool Beans; 05-26-2009 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: addition of last statement
Old 05-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
JohnnyD

She's coast relatively easily through the confirmation process. Republicans are trying to gain some ground on the Dems in fostering support from the Latino voters. No Republican wants to be the one singled out for not supporting a Hispanic. Hispanics in the Southern US helped Obama win the election.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #3
Cool Beans

I realize that she will more than likely be confirmed as the next judge, but think people should know what they are getting, "a person that believes in reverse racism". If all the firemen take the damn advancement exam and not enough "minorities" scored high enough, and she agrees with the city in throwing out the results? "We have to test them later or in a different way to ensure a more diverse pool of people advanced".

There is no legal reason for throwing the test out, those guys that passed including the one Hispanic guy deserve to be advanced! I think by siding with the city she clearly identifies her as a proponent of reverse racism.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post
There is no legal reason for throwing the test out, those guys that passed including the one Hispanic guy deserve to be advanced! I think by siding with the city she clearly identifies her as a proponent of reverse racism.
Being a white male, I've accepted the idea of reverse racism and reverse sexism as an unfortunate inevitability. An ethnic person or person of color could say anything they want to me about me being white without anyone thinking much about it, yet if in any public setting I say anything that could remotely be related to their color then I'm a racist.

The American, white, middle-class(or higher) male has to walk on eggshells and be careful with their words more so than any other demographic.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:09 PM   #5
Raven

:o)

just so long as it ain't Judge JUDY

i'm cool with it as cold beans
Old 05-26-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
spence

Quote:
Called this one didn't I? I posted a while back that he would pick a Hispanic woman.
Yes, you and 3500 other people.

I think you've been listening to too much Limbaugh. State the obvious, cite examples and then declare brilliance

Quote:
Sounds like she's a qualified Hispanic women, but doubt she is the most qualified person for the job.
You lost me at qualified.

Quote:
An example of her judgement:
As an appellate judge, she sided with the city of New Haven, Conn., in a discrimination case brought by white firefighters after the city threw out results of a promotion exam because two few minorities scored high enough. Ironically, that case is now before the Supreme Court.
And oddly enough, it looks like that case might not have had a sound legal basis. So was her decision based on a blind respect for the law, or on political bias? Perhaps this example isn't as good as it sounds...

-spence
Old 05-26-2009, 11:27 PM   #7
sean curry

I agree with affimative action.

sean
Old 05-27-2009, 01:06 AM   #8
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean curry View Post

sean
Well, when you put it that way... I see your point.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #9
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean curry View Post

sean
maybe you'll get all the advantages of an affirmative action brain surgeon some day

since when does "qualified" matter to da dems, it's the story and the image projected, doesn't matter if there's anything between the ears...give her a teleprompter...look at the clown that we have posing as a president...she will be treated respectfully and confirmed as this is the presidents perrogative barring some bizarre circumstances...(like stating on tape that she thinks judges should "make" policy)..I though that was for the policy-makers...anyway

it's the dems that turn these hearing into a circus with personal attacks and mindless impuning of people of high achievement and exemplary records led by that fat puke Ted Kennedy, this was his specialty, engineering the destruction of nominees...imagine having that piece of crap attempting to taint your career and record, slobbering and mispronouncing your name....

Obama asked that the Senate "move quickly and in a bipartisan manner"...just as the dems have always done in the past...right????

Ginsburg 97-3
Breyer 87-9
Thomas 52-48
Roberts 78-22
Alito 58-42

any bets...I'll go with 98-1... there are a couple of illnesses and good ole' Rowland isn't looking like he's long for the job so I don't know if there will be 100 votes...we should have a pool.....
Old 05-27-2009, 09:08 AM   #10
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

I dont agree with affirmative action at all. Its BS. If there is a test out to place 20 people take the 20 highest scoring people. If it is 20 whites, great, 20 blacks awesome, 20 purple martians, outstanding. The jobs should go to the highest scoring because that is what they are using as a standard.

Make America Great Again.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:39 AM   #11
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
since when does "qualified" matter to da dems, it's the story and the image projected, doesn't matter if there's anything between the ears...give her a teleprompter...look at the clown that we have posing as a president...she will be treated respectfully and confirmed as this is the presidents perrogative barring some bizarre circumstances...(like stating on tape that she thinks judges should "make" policy)..I though that was for the policy-makers...
Funny as her judicial record points to someone who has behaved nearly the opposite to what you've described.

It's almost like you're responding based on the image you'd like projected regardless as to what's between her ears.

And your comment is out of context...

-spence
Old 05-27-2009, 09:40 AM   #12
EarnedStripes44

Not to take anything from a written test as a way of assessing "aptitude" but I would be interested to know how well the test is at measuring valuable dispositions like judgement, commitment, good will, ethical reflection, effort, initiative and heart.

How does one fit such things in a standardized test?
Old 05-27-2009, 09:45 AM   #13
Joe

A read a while back that if Brown University admitted students based upon merit only, the student body would be overwhelmingly comprised of Asian women.
There are more women in law school than men now, and women comprise of 40% of practicing lawyers, yet there is only one woman on the court.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:28 AM   #14
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Funny as her judicial record points to someone who has behaved nearly the opposite to what you've described.

It's almost like you're responding based on the image you'd like projected regardless as to what's between her ears.

And your comment is out of context...

-spence
you didn't listen, qualified doesn't matter either way to the dems..Obama himself said Roberts and Alito were qualified and then voted against in a swift and bipartisan way...jerk...now he wants it both ways....doesn't matter if she's qualified as long as she's got the right "makeup"...that's fine with me....like Obama will tell you..."he won"...it's his pick....just compare the treatment of the last several nominees and you'll see who the dirtbags are...I didn't say she had nothing between her ears, just that it didn't matter...

my comment is not out of context and her's is on tape...nice try...it was an Obama "clinging to their guns and bibles moment"..you have become very predictable...but I still love you

he record with supreme court appeals is outstanding! only overturned 60% of the time, doesn't matter, she'll be confirmed and we'll have another activist on the bench preaching the merits crap like of looking to foreign law and precendents to form her opinions ala Breyer...maybe have all property rights taken away...stuff like that...at least abortion will be safe....
Old 05-27-2009, 11:20 AM   #15
spence

Quote:
you didn't listen, qualified doesn't matter either way to the dems..
Doesn't sound like it matters to you either...

Quote:
my comment is not out of context and her's is on tape...nice try...
So did you listen to the tape?

Here's her full comment in response to a student asking about the differences between circuit and district court experiences.

Quote:
The saw is that if you're going into academia, you're going to teach, or as Judge Lucero just said, public interest law, all of the legal defense funds out there, they're looking for people with court of appeals experience, because it is -- court of appeals is where policy is made. And I know -- and I know this is on tape and I should never say that because we don't make law, I know. OK, I know. I'm not promoting it, and I'm not advocating it, I'm -- you know. OK. Having said that, the court of appeals is where, before the Supreme Court makes the final decision, the law is percolating -- its interpretation, its application. And Judge Lucero is right. I often explain to people, when you're on the district court, you're looking to do justice in the individual case. So you are looking much more to the facts of the case than you are to the application of the law because the application of the law is non-precedential, so the facts control. On the court of appeals, you are looking to how the law is developing, so that it will then be applied to a broad class of cases. And so you're always thinking about the ramifications of this ruling on the next step in the development of the law. You can make a choice and say, "I don't care about the next step," and sometimes we do. Or sometimes we say, "We'll worry about that when we get to it" -- look at what the Supreme Court just did. But the point is that that's the differences -- the practical differences in the two experiences are the district court is controlled chaos and not so controlled most of the time.

If you take the time to read her full comment, think critically about what she was saying and then reflect on the meaning it should be clear to just about anyone that she was simply stating the obvious.

Quote:
he record with supreme court appeals is outstanding! only overturned 60% of the time, doesn't matter, she'll be confirmed and we'll have another activist on the bench preaching the merits crap....
It looks like she authored 380 majority opinions in 11 years, 5 of which made it to the Supreme Court and 3 of which were overturned. That's your 60%? 3 of 5?

Considering that the Supreme Court only chooses to hear selective cases, to even use the 3 without understanding the circumstance and how the majority ruling differed from her's make the number pretty meaningless...

Unless of course you're trying to pedal misinformation.

Don't you have anything of substance today? So far you've provided no evidence to support the assertion this is an activist pick.

-spence
Old 05-27-2009, 11:41 AM   #16
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeperreaper View Post
I dont agree with affirmative action at all. Its BS. If there is a test out to place 20 people take the 20 highest scoring people. If it is 20 whites, great, 20 blacks awesome, 20 purple martians, outstanding. The jobs should go to the highest scoring because that is what they are using as a standard.
perfect, agree 100%
that was the critetria set for the promotions, and when the results were in, they were changed - based on race

As far as Brown and any other university, the expectations are set up front that a diverse well rounded student population adds to the quality of the education. A student with lower grades but raises doberman puppies may get accepted over a student with higher grades. you dont change the rules after the fact, based on race.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 05-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #17
scottw

Quote:
Doesn't sound like it matters to you either...

So did you listen to the tape?

Here's her full comment in response to a student asking about the differences between circuit and district court experiences.

If you take the time to read her full comment, think critically about what she was saying and then reflect on the meaning it should be clear to just about anyone that she was simply stating the obvious.

It looks like she authored 380 majority opinions in 11 years, 5 of which made it to the Supreme Court and 3 of which were overturned. That's your 60%? 3 of 5?

Considering that the Supreme Court only chooses to hear selective cases, to even use the 3 without understanding the circumstance and how the majority ruling differed from her's make the number pretty meaningless...

Don't you have anything of substance today? So far you've provided no evidence to support the assertion this is an activist pick.

-spence
I did...
I'm worried about you buddy...you've gone way over to the Chris Matthews leg tingling land...

even her advocates are saying that the tape, her reversal record and the pending appeal could be problems...I don't know why...is it a shock to anyone that liberals want their liberal judges to legislate from the bench?...it's how they get things done in a democratic society...

yes 3 out of 5 =60%...might get a little worse with one pending, we'll see

again, i'm not saying anything that her defenders aren't saying in this regard...go to the New Republic...there's a great article on a far left site which is pretty funny because the whacko lefty's are savaging their own whacko lefty for daring to question the Justice-to-be and her record...absolutely LOVED that

for the third time...she will be confirmed...don't get your panties in such a bunch...it will be nothing like the disgreceful conduct that you see from democrats toward republican nominees

still like to get a pool going on this one...

is she a lesbian? just asking because i was listening to a liberal radio show on the road the other day and they were panting breathlessly at the thought of a gay nominee...I heard her mention mom and brother and sister-in-law yesterday but no hubby or kids...it's an obvious question isn't it?...if so this pick isn't a home run but a grand slam....

Last edited by scottw; 05-27-2009 at 12:04 PM..
Old 05-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #18
fishbones

Quote:

-spence
Spence, that would be "peddle", not "pedal".

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 05-27-2009, 01:05 PM   #19
scottw

I could be on my bike
Old 05-27-2009, 01:05 PM   #20
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Spence, that would be "peddle", not "pedal".
Sorry, I just bought a sweet new road bike and it's on my brain

-spence
Old 05-27-2009, 01:15 PM   #21
spence

Quote:
even her advocates are saying that the tape, her reversal record and the pending appeal could be problems...I don't know why...is it a shock to anyone that liberals want their liberal judges to legislate from the bench?...it's how they get things done in a democratic society...
If that's the worst they have on her then I don't see many problems.

You still have not presented anything that indicates she's an activist pick.

-spence
Old 05-27-2009, 01:18 PM   #22
fishbones

Quote:
Sorry, I just bought a sweet new road bike and it's on my brain

-spence
Congrats on the purchase! I hope it's not too much of an adjustment going from a high horse to a road bike.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 05-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #23
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Congrats on the purchase! I hope it's not too much of an adjustment going from a high horse to a road bike.

Anything to help the local economy. I am a patriot...

-spence
Old 05-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #24
scottw

Quote:
If that's the worst they have on her then I don't see many problems.

You still have not presented anything that indicates she's an activist pick.

-spence
we agree...she shouldn't have any problems...so what will the vote be?...keep in mind they're reporting that Blago got a check from Burris

you haven't produced anything that indicates she's not an activist..so there!

Obama would not have selected her if she were not an activist Spence Alynski...are you freakin' kidding me !

I requested all of her files and she hasn't gotten back to me, maybe she'll listen to you since you are "in the loop"...if it eases your troubled mind to disregard what I've written over my failure to take the considerable time that you devote to this to list all of her "activist" rulings in the past including the one currently before the Supreme Court........then so be it...you would one way or another anyway......you remind me of Danny Devito in MATILDA...where he tells Matilda..."I'm big, you're little....I'm smart, you're dumb...I'm right , you're wrong"....you need some glue in your hat

fond memories....

from WIKI
Reagan nominated Bork for the seat on July 1, 1987.

Within 45 minutes of Bork's nomination to the Court, Edward Kennedy took to the Senate floor with a strong condemnation of Bork in a nationally televised speech, declaring:

"Robert Bork's America is a land in which women would be forced into back-alley abortions, blacks would sit at segregated lunch counters, rogue police could break down citizens' doors in midnight raids, schoolchildren could not be taught about evolution, writers and artists could be censored at the whim of the Government, and the doors of the Federal courts would be shut on the fingers of millions of citizens for whom the judiciary is -- and is often the only -- protector of the individual rights that are the heart of our democracy... President Reagan is still our president. But he should not be able to reach out from the muck of Irangate, reach into the muck of Watergate and impose his reactionary vision of the Constitution on the Supreme Court and the next generation of Americans. No justice would be better than this injustice."[10]

A brief was prepared for Joe Biden, head of the Senate Judiciary Committee, called the Biden Report. Bork later said in his best-selling[11] book The Tempting of America that the report "so thoroughly misrepresented a plain record that it easily qualifies as world class in the category of scurrility."[12] TV ads narrated by Gregory Peck attacked Bork as an extremist. Kennedy's speech successfully fueled widespread public skepticism of Bork's nomination.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:37 PM   #25
spence

You're going in circles now.

-spence
Old 05-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #26
scottw

Quote:
You're going in circles now.

-spence
not at all...we can both look at her rulings...one by one... and I will call them "activist" rulings and you will say they're not...then we will argue over the definition of activist judges and maybe after that is exhausted we can argue the merits of if in fact judges should be activists...clearly many think they should be, including this one...if you listened to the tape she was very clearly stating that courts should and do make policy and the joked because she was among "friends" that "oh, I probably shouldn't say that because I'm on tape"...in HER OWN WORDS" still doesn't matter...she'll be OK

there's a great article in THE HILL...looking at it pretty much from both perspectives "Is She an Activist" check it out...

oh, Spence, if you go there read the article detailing what attorneys have said about their experiences arguing before her and her general temprement and knowledge of the law...this might be better than I thought....

not in circles..going fishing...PEACE

Last edited by scottw; 05-27-2009 at 02:16 PM..
Old 05-27-2009, 04:32 PM   #27
spence

Quote:
...if you listened to the tape she was very clearly stating that courts should and do make policy and the joked because she was among "friends" that "oh, I probably shouldn't say that because I'm on tape"...in HER OWN WORDS" still doesn't matter...she'll be OK
I don't see how any thinking person could come to that conclusion. You still haven't actually read her words have you?

-spence
Old 05-27-2009, 06:09 PM   #28
Cool Beans

It doesn't matter......

Some of us see it one way, while others seem to look at the world as if they were slightly out of phase with reality. Sometimes it's hard to see you over there Spence. I know we are playing on the same team, but sometimes I can't see your position "left field" from my position "right field". Do you have a "smoke machine" on or something?

I am pretty sure we are talking about the same person, but I'm seeing a racist judge who legislates from the bench and you are seeing Saint Theresa.

Did you get hit in the head your last "at bat"?

Go Sox!!!!
Old 05-27-2009, 09:15 PM   #29
scottw

Quote:
I don't see how any thinking person could come to that conclusion. You still haven't actually read her words have you?

-spence
listened and read...several times...it's pretty clear that you are drowning in the kool aid...what I am seeing from Soto and Obama are people who have deluded themselves into thinking that they are morally and intellectually superior to others primarily and simply due to their background and they have clearly stated this (Oh, Michelle as well, does she ever talk anymore, she was so entertaining)...Soto's opinions are superior to any old white guys and Obama is the epitome of an elitist....they are a reflection of each other in attitude and arrogance which makes her the perfect pic for the ONE, hoisted on a pedestal and heavily promoted by the media through their touching life story rather than record and accomplishments, Clarence Thomas had a far more compelling life story but strangely the media handled things far differently and really had no interest in his struggles as a young black man growing up in America and ascending to the highest court in the land, strange...no, Uncle Tom had to be destroyed......you've got to read the descriptions of her courtroom antics by the lawyers that have suffered through them, sounds like a beast...I'd cut and paste but Johnny D gets mad when it not an "original" thought and you get mad when gobs of cut and pasted evidence are not produced...tough to decide which to do...

OBAMA...to redistribute the wealth
SOTO.....to redistribute the justice

oh, and Spence..."thinking people"? that's so very liberal elitist....eeeewwwwww

Last edited by scottw; 05-27-2009 at 09:38 PM..
Old 05-28-2009, 06:35 AM   #30
spence

Quote:
I am pretty sure we are talking about the same person, but I'm seeing a racist judge who legislates from the bench and you are seeing Saint Theresa.
No, actually I don't know that much about her. I have looked into the key accusations against her and find them to be extremely misleading.

1) She's a racist
2) She believes the Judicial system makes policy
3) Her rulings have been overturned by the Supreme Court more times than not.

I've yet to see any substance to back up these claims, aside from ScottW's insistence that out of context statements are hard evidence

So you think she's a racist, why? because Rush called her one?

It's funny how some think this is a Right vs Left debate. I've said it before but I don't think many of you would know a real Liberal if you saw one.

-spence