Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 09-17-2012, 07:18 AM   #1
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Flaptails and the Action!

Built some proper traditional Flaptails (spook style) and have been fishing them and I am not sure if I am a huge fan of the action??? They cast good, and move good but not sure if I care for the flaptail??? Thinking of removing it and adding a simple bucktail flag or a bucktail siwash???? Any thoughts from any of you who fish these???

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

If you love plugs you are cheating yourself by not fishing a flaptail. The hits are often spectacular and very definitely they add something to a spook, particularly when fish are reluctant. They cast poorly and are best used from a boat/kayak.

Good flaptails, however, are difficult to find. Many of the old designs come in straight. They work, but the ones like the Lido (that Paul builds) and the PT Jude Flap-a-long (the small plug with extreme sloped face) can be walked like a spook and look better to me.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I knew I could count on you George! Mine do walk pretty well and yeah they are definitely better from the yak for sure! They are modeled in the Lido style! They do work great in the ditch and mine actually casts quite well much to my surprise! I guess its the Flaptail that gets me.......how exactly should the flaptail be acting? Spinning or just fluttering as it goes along?? Takes some getting used to?? I love the way it moves! Its going out in the kayak with me this weekend over some boulders!!!!

Old 09-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
iamskippy

Pic?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

The flip and flap all over the place, then splutter if you rip them. I think they work best if the attachment is offset to the bottom of the plug rather than hung off the through wire (although I've used them both ways and both work).

The lido style rolls a lot so take that into account when painting them.

Also, I think a line tie under the chin rather than on center helps the plug.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I will try to post some pics! The line tie is under the chin and the flaptail is offset as PaulM gave me a dozen of his flaptail hangers some time ago!! Someone should start making them!!!

Old 09-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
Sgt Striper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
I will try to post some pics! The line tie is under the chin and the flaptail is offset as PaulM gave me a dozen of his flaptail hangers some time ago!! Someone should start making them!!!
Yea, I only got one!

"The lips stand out because she wants to suck on your Pikie."....Mike Laptew
Van Staal Service/Repair Technician
Sgt Striper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Here is a pic of my Flaptails! The Blue one was the one I did for PlugFest when we had the Flaptail contest to honor Steve Shiraka. I wanted to make a couple to fish (the blue one I wanted to keep) so these two are for my bag! Close to the specs of the Lido style the action is quite good....still trying to figure out how best to trigger strikes, only had them out a couple of times so far! The Flaptail hangers were compliments of ProfessorM! Props to his fine craftsmanship!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flaptail.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	53066  

Old 09-18-2012, 05:10 AM   #9
Muskyslayer96

BigFish,

I love the look of your flaptails..that orange/yellow (tequila sunrise?) is HOT.

I can only comment on fresh water and a different target fish (Musky) but I've been making them for a little over a year with good success. I also use the Lido style with the bracket offset low and a sloped head with the line tie low. (also make them without sloped head and still like the action). Mine retrieve straight with the tail spinning and then will randomly start to flap and twitch which alters the plug movement to a stutter or hitch. That flap, change in direction/speed can be a solid trigger for strikes. They have become my go to topwater plug!
Really cool plugs BigFish good luck with them!
Best
MS

Muskyslayer96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:45 AM   #10
Grapenuts

three sugestions....one/ take off the store bought flapper...it's way to thick and heavy/small ...make your own w/thin ga. sheet stock...two/when you put the wire through the flapper make the loop LARGE so it has lots of wiggle room...the size of the loop you made is like a noose giving it no freedom to flutter...third..make the loop on the other side of the hanger alot smaller and shorten the lenght...large loops have a habit of getting hung up on the plug ...and shorter lenght will help it from getting hung up too.
Grapenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:17 AM   #11
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

No problem with movement on the flaptail...that sucker is free flowing and flapping to beat the band!!!