Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-16-2021, 10:15 AM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Updating 1993 Grady White Escape

This will be a long term project, as I do not want to sacrifice time on the water this year. But it IS 28 years old and could use some updating..

I also don't want to muddy up Linesider's great project thread, which is what has inspired me to jump in on this project. I will try to list product names and sources when I can or remember to....

The 20' Escape is still, to me, the best 20 footer around, for what I do. It is so good, in fact, that I have decided NOT to add a T-top. It comes down to how I can fish and handle the boat alone, as well as how much drift the boat has, vs. the extra windage of the T-top, access, and weight. Of course I do lose out on shade.

So, let's look at this spring's to do list;

1993 200hp Yamaha, carbureted. Engine is good. Replacing tilt motor. Also removed cowling cover, as it was looking faded and a little ghetto. Going to strip, sand, prime, fill, glass repair (minor), rattle can color and clearcoat. Mostly prep. Comfortable with rattle cans after doing plugs and many other items. I use one of those trigger grips and it makes for better results. I was quoted $600 for this job by a body shop, so we'll see if I can get as good results myself. Others have advised me not to bother with the rattle can DIY. We shall see.

Replacing electronics. Garmin echomap UHD 94sv. Already have old unit and transducer out, with messenger in, waiting for new transducer to be run. Old unit was inside glove box. This will go on top.

Replacing 3x3 Poly-Planar vhf auxiliary speaker on top of console.

I need to clean the bilge... (before I run that transducer cable) It got away from me over the past two years the boat wasn't used... So I after soliciting ideas, I am planning to use Krud Kutter, then follow up with pump spray bottle of bleach and hose it out. This is while still on the trailer, in my side yard... Depending on those results, I will look into using Oil Eater Degreaser, as I saw that used in another site's thread with good results.

I am thinking of getting a folding foot rest from Boat Outfitters. Pricey for what it is, but will make a world of difference to this short legged boy...

And then there is the wiring... The 28 year old wiring. Which has not really posed a problem, except for working reliably with the sending unit to the Yamaha fuel gauge. I did have that gauge redone at GaugeSaver this winter and will re-install this year, removing a stock gauge I had put in four years ago. I have ordered Nigel Calder's book Boatowners Mechanical and Electrical Manual, as I am a novice about most things electrical. Should arrive today. But here is where I need to decide what happens now, before this season. And what needs be better studied, designed, and budgeted for in both time and money, before I get too deep. I will include two pics of my mess that I must figure out and understand. Access is through removing the dash panel, as the side door on the console is too small to do anything. Current access is no better than trying to retrieve a letter out of a mailbox... So I may cut a door into the front of the console, behind the backrest cushion, and start over with a piece of starboard mounted as a horizontal shelf to mount the new wiring components.

But there are so many bad design elements to my console... I would like to replace the whole thing. But, and this is a big but, it is a two piece console, and the bottom piece is incorporated into a significant part of the deck. It is large. And it would only be removed if one had to replace the fuel tank.... which is also 28 years old, but not posing any problems... So unless Grady has a newer design upper console that will fit over my lower, (doubtful), I think I just put the major rewiring off until fall/winter...

I hope to be able to add on to this with noteworthy progress in the coming months and year(s).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5170.jpg (138.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5177.jpg (159.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5172.jpg (91.3 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by nightfighter; 04-16-2021 at 11:42 AM..

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote