Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-22-2016, 08:48 PM   #31
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
If terrorists influence the US to take an irrational position that the majority believes compromises our values = terrorists win.
It would be an irrational decision to allow immigrants from countries that support terrorism the priviledge (sp ?) to enter our country.

" Choose Life "
Old 06-22-2016, 09:56 PM   #32
detbuch

Has the supposedly lengthy vetting process been reduced to three months for the "surge" of refugees that Obama wants to let in?

http://mediamatters.org/video/2016/0...-enough/209814
Old 06-23-2016, 03:40 AM   #33
scottw

Quote:
If terrorists influence the US to take an irrational position that the majority believes compromises our values = terrorists win.
"If terrorists influence the US to take an irrational position that the majority believes compromises our values"= utter nonsense

Last edited by scottw; 06-23-2016 at 05:06 AM..
Old 06-23-2016, 07:40 AM   #34
fishbones

Quote:
So far I'm only aware of a single Muslim immigrant who's been involved in a mass shooting on US soil. The experts seem to agree the bigger threat is self radicalization of people already here many who are citizens and can walk into gun stores and legally buy assault weapons.
You don't pay attention, do you? I didn't mention shootings, yet you based your response on that. This thread is about immigration, not buying guns. Please try to come up with a response that fits the topic of the thread. You must have conveniently forgot about the marathon bombings and 9/11.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 06-23-2016, 05:36 PM   #35
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
So, is that more of a "win" than committing more mass murders on our soil?
Circle back around and think about why the mass murders happened in the first place.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:43 PM   #36
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
What exactly is wrong with slowing the process down?
The process is already pretty slow.

Quote:
When our parents immigrated here they needed sponsors and jobs . It was very strict . What was wrong with that system ?
A lot has changed since then and the system is much more strict today. Have you seen the process?

https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2015...-united-states

Quote:
What purpose does it serve to have unlimited immigration?
We do not have nor has anyone I'm aware of called for unlimited immigration.

Quote:
Do you not see the financial and social burden it creates ?
Tell that to the last 200 years of immigrants that created the most powerful country in modern history.

Quote:
Oh scorned lover.. Lmao . Is that the new "work place violence "?
It's a dynamic that would have significant implications on his real motive.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:06 PM   #37
fishbones

Quote:
Circle back around and think about why the mass murders happened in the first place.
Stop it. You're making yourself look even more foolish.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 06-23-2016, 07:11 PM   #38
buckman

Quote:
The process is already pretty slow.

A lot has changed since then and the system is much more strict today. Have you seen the process?

https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2015...-united-states

We do not have nor has anyone I'm aware of called for unlimited immigration.

Tell that to the last 200 years of immigrants that created the most powerful country in modern history.

It's a dynamic that would have significant implications on his real motive.
What Fishbones said
Old 06-23-2016, 07:34 PM   #39
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
It would be an irrational decision to allow immigrants from countries that support terrorism the priviledge (sp ?) to enter our country.
Why?
Old 06-23-2016, 07:35 PM   #40
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Stop it. You're making yourself look even more foolish.
Sorry, I didn't mean to have asked you to think.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:49 PM   #41
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Yeah, Spence is so brainwashed by the administration and liberal media talking points he can't see the Catch 22 contradiction.
You should evaluate this remark in context of all domestic mass shootings and terror events.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:19 PM   #42
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Why?
Common sense. Shouldn't have to spell out the dangers of countries who
support the terrorism that wants to do us in.

" Choose Life "
Old 06-23-2016, 10:00 PM   #43
detbuch

Quote:
You should evaluate this remark in context of all domestic mass shootings and terror events.
OK. I evaluated my remark in the context of your words in this thread about vetting refugees: "If terrorists influence the US to take an irrational position that the majority believes compromises our values = terrorists win." And: "Taking irrational action at the border to discriminate against Islam is not only going to be ineffective it's going drive self radicalization." There's a flip side to both of those propositions that you choose not to recognize, but you slavishly stick only to the administration talking points.

After evaluating my remark within its proper context, my remark stands.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:54 PM   #44
fishbones

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't mean to have asked you to think.
Actually, you didn't ask. You just continue to say things to detract from the fact that you can't support your argument here.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:36 AM   #45
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Common sense. Shouldn't have to spell out the dangers of countries who
support the terrorism that wants to do us in.
The biggest supporter of terrorism is the opponent who fuels the fire of jihad. Every bomb we drop is just fertilizer for more hate of the west. So in a way, we are the biggest funders of terrorism.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:30 AM   #46
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Vetting refugees - Look at how Europe turned itself into a third world country. I say we stay the #^&#^&#^&#^& out of it and mind our own business. They need refuge, let them go to Oman or UAE, Dubai etc. Those mf'ers have bank! Let them help themselves and we'll watch from a safe distance.

The Flowers By Irene guys are robots. They get told go they go. They get told stop they stop. The probably stopped on the kid in Orlando because they were giving him boo boo feelings on the inside.

Last edited by ThrowingTimber; 06-24-2016 at 07:48 AM..

Domination takes full concentration..
Old 06-28-2016, 10:10 AM   #47
Jim in CT

Quote:
So far I'm only aware of a single Muslim immigrant who's been involved in a mass shooting on US soil. The experts seem to agree the bigger threat is self radicalization of people already here many who are citizens and can walk into gun stores and legally buy assault weapons.

Taking irrational action at the border to discriminate against Islam is not only going to be ineffective it's going drive self radicalization.

Newsflash, the worst mass shooting in US history appears to be a lover scorned.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...-mateen-224644
"So far I'm only aware of a single Muslim immigrant who's been involved in a mass shooting on US soil"

Spence, I'll do you one better...I'm not aware of a Muslim immigrant who has gotten a parking ticket. But I don't know why that matters. So we should wait until it happens, and THEN devise a policy to prevent it?

My point was this...it's much easier for the FBI to investigate an American citizen, than it is for anyone, in any agency, to investigate someone from a mountaintop village which has no electricity or computers. So forgive me if I'm not relieved when Obama says "don't worry, we are vetting these people".
Old 06-28-2016, 10:11 AM   #48
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
The biggest supporter of terrorism is the opponent who fuels the fire of jihad. Every bomb we drop is just fertilizer for more hate of the west. So in a way, we are the biggest funders of terrorism.
So we should leave them alone. That's brilliant.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #49
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
My point was this...it's much easier for the FBI to investigate an American citizen, than it is for anyone, in any agency, to investigate someone from a mountaintop village which has no electricity or computers. So forgive me if I'm not relieved when Obama says "don't worry, we are vetting these people".
Totally different processes.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:30 AM   #50
Jim in CT

Quote:
Totally different processes.
As I said, I agree. One process (FBI vetting citizens) is a lot easier. And they still failed miserably in teh case of the Orlando guy.

You said that if we implement bad policies, terrorists win. How does the removal of second amendment rights fit into that argument?
Old 06-28-2016, 04:49 PM   #51
spence

Quote:
As I said, I agree. One process (FBI vetting citizens) is a lot easier. And they still failed miserably in teh case of the Orlando guy.
I'd think vetting citizens is probably a lot harder. There are significant protections that limit how far the FBI can go without violating a presumption of innocence. Refugees applying for UN sponsored status have no such protections and face a rigorous process that goes well beyond the scope of the FBI.

Quote:
You said that if we implement bad policies, terrorists win. How does the removal of second amendment rights fit into that argument?
Who is calling for the removal of second amendment rights?
Old 06-28-2016, 06:03 PM   #52
Jim in CT

Quote:
I'd think vetting citizens is probably a lot harder.
Bonkers.

We have publicly available data on citizens - birth records, immunization records, criminal records, that the FBI can easily get. Hell, I can look up someone's arrest record online.

Please tell me, Spence, how do we vet someone from a village with no computers, no schools, no jails, etc? Other than asking each refugee, "do you promise not to kill anyone", how the hell do you confirm anything?

Have fun with that.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:23 PM   #53
spence

Quote:
Bonkers.

We have publicly available data on citizens - birth records, immunization records, criminal records, that the FBI can easily get. Hell, I can look up someone's arrest record online.
What good is that against someone with a clean record who can walk into a gun store and pick up some weapons?

Quote:
Please tell me, Spence, how do we vet someone from a village with no computers, no schools, no jails, etc? Other than asking each refugee, "do you promise not to kill anyone", how the hell do you confirm anything?
I don't think you understand the process.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:22 PM   #54
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:

Who is calling for the removal of second amendment rights?

I can tell you who,
pretty much any and all of the politicians who are trying to infringe our rights with further gun control legislation seeing as we already have enough laws on the books and they need to be enforced before any more infringement happens. That includes Senator Warren to begin with and all the rest who choose to take the lazy approach to issues of violence.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:38 PM   #55
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
I can tell you who,
pretty much any and all of the politicians who are trying to infringe our rights with further gun control legislation seeing as we already have enough laws on the books and they need to be enforced before any more infringement happens. That includes Senator Warren to begin with and all the rest who choose to take the lazy approach to issues of violence.
Yea, and left-wing nuts like four star Generals McChrystal and Petraeus who don't think the public has a rational need for a 223 semi auto configured with assault features.

What freaks.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:00 PM   #56
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
What good is that against someone with a clean record who can walk into a gun store and pick up some weapons?

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 06-28-2016, 08:34 PM   #57
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post

Inverse and it will make sense.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:00 AM   #58
detbuch

Quote:
Yea, and left-wing nuts like four star Generals McChrystal and Petraeus who don't think the public has a rational need for a 223 semi auto configured with assault features.

What freaks.
Freaks? Is this some new Progressive buzzword which is supposed to make us all meekly surrender to how right you are? Progressives are not "nuts" or "freaks." They are very rational. They are extremely persistent. And they are totally full their supposedly superior wisdom. Which makes one wonder why they need buzzwords to convince us of that wisdom. And why they need to change the meaning of words to give their arguments the appearance of truth.

And they told us from their beginning that the Constitution is an impediment to the way they must govern. They have said EXACTLY so IN THEIR OWN WORDS. But the rest of us, of course, are too ignorant of how right they are, how backward we are, and how better we and the rest of the world would be if we, and the Constitution, would just get out of their way so they could lead us into their Brave New World.

So, YES, the Progressives (mostly Democrats) want to abolish the Second Amendment. It is a prominent piece of what remains of the Constitution after they have eviscerated most of the rest. They intend, piece by piece, to finish the job and are free to rule us by fiat, fancied over with phony Orwellian newspeak. The fact that you cannot see that is evidence, as you accused Jim re the vetting process, that you don't understand the process. You don't understand the Constitutional process, nor the process by which it is being dismantled. And you simply accept strings of pretty sounding words and phrases which actually destroy that process. And, somehow, when people like Petraeus, a traitor, or HRC, a psychopathic liar, or Obama, a critic of the Constitution, say those words and phrases, you swoon over them like a subdued lover.

But your love affair is, as love affairs usually are, blind. And you think you understand everything the object of your infatuation does or says. You think you "understand" the vetting process because its string of words makes it so. If we just follow the words, we have little to fear. Oh, how Progressive words constantly change, or are disobeyed, or imperfectly followed. And no rational criticism, even as Jim has provided, are of any consequence. Because the words make the process so. You are a slave to Progressive strings of words. Even though they fly in the face of experience.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:43 AM   #59
Jim in CT

Quote:

I don't think you understand the process.
That's exactly why I asked you to explain it to me. And you didn't. Because you can't. As always, you take it on faith that any plan implemented by anyone with a (D) after their name, must necessarily be brilliant. Always, always, always.

We have more ability to paint a quick and accurate picture of a citizen living here, than we do about someone who lives in a remote village in the Middle East. No rational person would deny that. I have a background check done on any new employee. I can look up your criminal record online in 5 minutes. It's not perfect obviously, but it's a hell of a lot more available than background info on someone from a place that has never had electricity to send data, or even a filing cabinet to store paper records.

But you would say, details, shme-tails.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:58 AM   #60
spence

I posted a link that details the entire vetting process.