Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks

How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks How-To's, Tips & Tricks plus Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) **** Please Do Not Start Discussions or Ask New Questions in Here **** This is for popular Threads To be moved here for easy access & discussion. Post all new questions in main Stripertalk Forum

Old 05-01-2003, 03:53 PM   #1
Notaro
None

Smoking Fish Method Inquiries

i am thinking about smoking fish like macks, but i am unsure about preparing them in the right way. i found a book that talks abt smoking fish, but it's for freshwater. i was wondering if i can use my BQQ grill for smoking fish since i dont have a smoker. is it complicated to learn? i checked around the websites for infomration, but none of them have the basic tools like if a person who doesnt have a smoker and use an alternative method, something like that. but they do have recipe for preparing the smoked fish. i was wondering if any of you can give me some insights on smoking fishes.

thanks. this could help a beginner if he or she wants to eat a bait...
Notaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 10:22 PM   #2
BigBo

Eating bait???? What's next, pogie sandwiches???? Better check yer local laws on smokin' macks..... J/K Notaro
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 10:23 PM   #3
BigBo

Eating bait???? What's next, pogie sandwiches???? Better check yer local laws on smokin' macks.....
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 10:55 PM   #4
Scotch Bonnet
USA

Smokin'

Stick to cigarrettes, macks are too hard to keep lit.
Scotch Bonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 09:10 AM   #5
Jimbo

Smokin'

Notaro, here's a link you can try to start out, there's one for macks (and there's one for stripers), but if you really want to be overwhelmed by recipes and techniques, just do an Internet search on "smoked fish recipes". I like to smoke the blues, too.
http://www.fishingworks.com/seafood_recipes/smoked/
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 09:32 AM   #6
Notaro
None

thanks, jimbo, i will look it up. i can use my BQQ grill instead of a smoker to smoke some fishes?
Old 05-02-2003, 09:37 AM   #7
NilsC
Kayak Fish with us.

Are you looking for recipies on smoking fish

or

help on building a smoker or converting an old grill / 55 gal barrel / the old refridgerator to a smoker?

Are you trying to cold or warm smoke?

Nils hoping he's not of topic ->

King Cove Kayak Center
926 Stonington Rd (US Route 1)
Stonington, CT 06378
Phone (860) 599-4730
is hosting the third annual Kayak Fishing Rodeo

Nils
NilsC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 09:39 AM   #8
Notaro
None

something like that (the second question). either of them, as long as i can put it in a fridge for a while.
Old 05-02-2003, 10:07 AM   #9
NilsC
Kayak Fish with us.

All the solutions that I gave you are for warm smoking, that is the easiest way to start. for cold smoking you need a way to cool the smoke down before it gets to the meat / fish.

The old grill is the easiest way to make a smoker for small quantities of fish or meat.
Parts listing for building a grill:
Old Grill (the kind on wheels with a frame under it that the propane tank was standing on)
a hot plate (kitchen for single guys) <jk>
old pot (less than 6") with no handles (to hold wood/sawdust)
piece of chimney (6")
Duct tape (tool box for Ford)
scrap wood, misc parts.

On the old grill, keep the Cooking grid and remove and throw away all the parts inside the grill.

I have to continue later... I have to work.

Nils

King Cove Kayak Center
Stonington, CT 06378
Phone (860) 599-4730

Nils
Old 05-02-2003, 10:20 AM   #10
Jimbo

Fish Smoker

I'm supposed to be working today, also, but everyone else just took off to play golf so I'm camping out here for the rest of the day. I have no idea why anyone would want to be chasing a white ball on grass when they could be waist deep in the Atlantic slinging wood, but hey, to each his own.
I can see where Nils is going with this, converting an old grill into a smoker. I won't rain on his parade, but I think there are products out there that let you use your existing gas BBQ for smoking. What is boils down to is a metal box with holes that sits on the coals and you fill it with your wood chips. I think many grocery stores carry them where the charcoal is. Anyway, you only light the burners on that side and whatever you're is on the opposite side. You'd have to do some more internet research to get the details. I use an electric H2O smoker which I like because I feel like I have more control over the temperature and the liquid pot I can add flavors to, also. I know people also do it with a kettle type grill and charcoal, too. Smoked fish is ok, but personally if you're going to smoke something, I'd go with pulled pork, (accompanied by North Carolina bbq sauce,corn bread and cole slaw). Of course this thread is only starting to make me hungry, now.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 10:42 AM   #11
NilsC
Kayak Fish with us.

Re: Fish Smoker

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo
I'm supposed to be working today, also, but everyone else just took off to play golf
Golf... what is golf what kind of bait to catch ....

You are right on the direction I'm going Jimbo. I tried the smoke boxes... does not taste the same. And I like the old wooden smokehouses myself, the kind with a firepit at the bottom of the hill and the smokehouse on top (with a clay chimney burried in the ground for cooling)
yum

Nils

King Cove Kayak Center
Stonington, CT 06378
Phone (860) 599-4730

Nils
Old 05-06-2003, 12:22 PM   #12
Notaro
None

how does a smoked blue taste?
Old 05-15-2003, 03:24 PM   #13
Mr. Sandman

Smoking fish is nothing short of excellent!...I have gone thru a few smokers. I started out buying a cheap "little chief" from LL bean which rotted out pretty guick and eventually got a serious stainless smoker. IMO what you should look for in a smoker is that it is insulated. You want it like a refrigerator. The better you can contol the temp the better and more consistant your product will be. You don't want the wind to be able to blow into the box. And don't open the door that much. Also I like stainless because I dont like eating anything that comes from a rusty looking bucket. But that is me.

Most smokers have books and instructions on how to do it with all the details spelled out. Also the book store (and I am sure internet) has some great smooker cook books. I have tried just about smoking everthing. Mac's are excellent smoker, one of the best. In fact out of all the fish I have ever smoked I think I got the most compliments from the macs. (If I could only catch them now!)

IMO just about any fatty fish (oily) smokes great. Ie. A blue is better then a bass smoked. I have smoked Bonito, Bass, Albies, bluefish, macks, snappers, marlin, mako shark, swordfish, dolphin, fluke, tog, seabass even clams mussels and oysters..you name it I tried it. I still have not found an edible way to consume an albie. But, stick to the tried and true recipes in the books at first and don't do large amounts until you have it down. It is not hard and you don't need to spend a ton of $ to do it. Most smokers are way to big for the homeowner looking to make an appitizer or smoke some ribs...you don't need to smoke 15 chickens at a time or 40 lbs of meats. Start out small.

Let me tell you you will make a lot of friends when you have a smoker...everyone asks me for some smoked fish. It probably is one of the best Hors d'oeuvres going. The taste is wonderful and you can experiement a lot with different brines and woods...it is a fun hobby. (I bring it to parties as a gift..and people love it.)
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 10:04 AM   #14
Notaro
None

i see, sandman. so i can just use my own BQQ grill to smoke the fish? i am hoping to store the smoked fishes in the fridge for a time being, u know? anyway, supposed if i go to a barnes and noble's and find a smoking fish book and find it a instructional and recipe for freshwater specie, does it apply to the freshwater (the methods and everything)?
Old 05-16-2003, 11:00 AM   #15
Mr. Sandman

I think the BBQ method is not that great, they tend to leak and you use a TON of wood. The Texas guys use BBQ types and but they smoke/cook whole pigs. If you want to smoke a few fillets get a small smoker just for doing that. ...I prefer smokers like this. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/co...left-nav.jhtml

As far as the recipies...I found this general thing on the web that might help you:
http://www.3men.com/threemen1.htm

And I have seen "cook books" in the stores for smoking fish and meats (ribs, turkey chicken are great too). I would start by getting a inexpensive smoker instead of making one...learn how to do it and then get a good machine dedicaded for smoking.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote