Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-12-2019, 09:39 AM   #1
Jim in CT

Biden promises there will be a cure for cancer if he’s elected

I’m still not sure I believe he said this, but there’s a video. If this is what it sounds like, he’s a lot worse than I thought he was. Al Gore
promised that people
like Christopher Reeves would walk if he got elected. that’s really ghoulish.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/joe...vUFiMOsqTdTPN0
Old 06-12-2019, 10:05 AM   #2
Nebe

Legalize weed federally !
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 06-12-2019, 10:24 AM   #3
Jim in CT

i’d rather he promised that, because he can deliver on that. promising desperate cancer patients that their lives depend on him getting elected, is ghoulish.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:37 AM   #4
PaulS

Trump said we would be tired of winning. When is that going to happen.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:53 AM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
is that really the same thing? you’re better than that. He’s telling desperately sick people
that voting for him will result in their
being cured. He’s promising to save their lives, but only if he gets elected. Come on!

and you went right to trump, which is fine, but you can’t them make fun of others for responding to trump criticism by pointing to obama.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:57 AM   #6
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
is that really the same thing? you’re better than that.

and you went right to trump, which is fine, but you can’t them make fun of others for responding to trump criticism by pointing to obama.
It is a goal - something to shoot for. Not the outright lies we hear on a daily (almost hourly?) basis from Trump.

Trump is our President. Obama isn't. H. Clinton is a nobody now yet how many times is she mentioned here?
Old 06-12-2019, 10:59 AM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
It is a goal - something to shoot for. Not the outright lies we hear on a daily (almost hourly?) basis from Trump.

Trump is our President. Obama isn't. H. Clinton is a nobody now yet how many times is she mentioned here?
no it’s not a goal. He promised a cure, and the delivery of the cure, depends on his winning.

You blew that one, Paul, that was disappointing. That was a spence answer.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:05 AM   #8
PaulS

Quote:
no it’s not a goal. He promised a cure, and the delivery of the cure, depends on his winning.

You blew that one, Paul, that was disappointing. That was a spence answer.
Ok Jim.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:28 PM   #9
Pete F.
Canceled

You do know his son died of cancer?
Meanwhile the current reality TV show President claimed:
"Nobody but Donald Trump will save Israel"
"Nobody knows jobs like I do!"
"Nobody understands politicians like I do"
"Nobody beats me on National Security"
"Nobody would fight harder for free speech than me"
"Nobody will protect our Nation like Donald J. Trump"
"Nobody more against ObamaCare than me"
"Nobody has more respect for women than Donald Trump!"
"No-one has done more for people with disabilities than me"
Illegal immigration "Our Southern border is unsecure. I am the only one that can fix it"
Illegal immigration "Such a big problem for our country-I will solve"
Infrastructure "The only one to fix the infrastructure of our country is me"
Infrastructure "I am the only one that knows how to build cities"
Infrastructure "all falling apart. I can fix for 20% of pols, & better"
ISIS "ISIS is still running around wild. I can fix it fast"
ISIS "5000 ISIS fighters have infiltrated Europe. Also, many in U.S. I TOLD YOU SO! I alone can fix this problem!"
Jobs "I am the only presidential candidate who will bring jobs back to the U.S.and protect car industry!"
Jobs "I will bring our jobs back to the U.S., and keep our companies from leaving. Nobody else can do it."
Making America great "I am the only one who can Make America Great Again"
Making America great "If I run, and if I win, our country will be great again."
Moving jobs to Mexico "I am the only one who can fix this. Very sad."
Obamacare "We will immediately repeal and replace ObamaCare - and nobody can do that like me"
Slow GDP "I TOLD YOU SO! Only I can fix"
Social Security "I am going to save Social Security without any cuts. I know where to get the money from. Nobody else does."
Tax laws "I know our complex tax laws better than anyone who has ever run for president and am the only one who can fix them."
Terrorism "At least 67 dead,400 injured. I alone can solve"
Terrorism "TIME FOR A CHANGE, I WILL SOLVE - AND FAST!"
Tough calls "Govt. collapsing in Iraq...Sadly, I called this one and please remember, I alone called it.
Veterans Affairs "I will fix VA quickly."
Why are people upset w/ me over Pres Obama’s birth certificate? I got him to release it, or whatever it was, when nobody else could!"

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-12-2019, 12:32 PM   #10
Nebe

Quote:
i’d rather he promised that, because he can deliver on that. promising desperate cancer patients that their lives depend on him getting elected, is ghoulish.
Agreed 100%
Old 06-12-2019, 12:59 PM   #11
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
You do know his son died of cancer?
Meanwhile the current reality TV show President claimed:
"Nobody but Donald Trump will save Israel"
"Nobody knows jobs like I do!"
"Nobody understands politicians like I do"
"Nobody beats me on National Security"
"Nobody would fight harder for free speech than me"
"Nobody will protect our Nation like Donald J. Trump"
"Nobody more against ObamaCare than me"
"Nobody has more respect for women than Donald Trump!"
"No-one has done more for people with disabilities than me"
Illegal immigration "Our Southern border is unsecure. I am the only one that can fix it"
Illegal immigration "Such a big problem for our country-I will solve"
Infrastructure "The only one to fix the infrastructure of our country is me"
Infrastructure "I am the only one that knows how to build cities"
Infrastructure "all falling apart. I can fix for 20% of pols, & better"
ISIS "ISIS is still running around wild. I can fix it fast"
ISIS "5000 ISIS fighters have infiltrated Europe. Also, many in U.S. I TOLD YOU SO! I alone can fix this problem!"
Jobs "I am the only presidential candidate who will bring jobs back to the U.S.and protect car industry!"
Jobs "I will bring our jobs back to the U.S., and keep our companies from leaving. Nobody else can do it."
Making America great "I am the only one who can Make America Great Again"
Making America great "If I run, and if I win, our country will be great again."
Moving jobs to Mexico "I am the only one who can fix this. Very sad."
Obamacare "We will immediately repeal and replace ObamaCare - and nobody can do that like me"
Slow GDP "I TOLD YOU SO! Only I can fix"
Social Security "I am going to save Social Security without any cuts. I know where to get the money from. Nobody else does."
Tax laws "I know our complex tax laws better than anyone who has ever run for president and am the only one who can fix them."
Terrorism "At least 67 dead,400 injured. I alone can solve"
Terrorism "TIME FOR A CHANGE, I WILL SOLVE - AND FAST!"
Tough calls "Govt. collapsing in Iraq...Sadly, I called this one and please remember, I alone called it.
Veterans Affairs "I will fix VA quickly."
Why are people upset w/ me over Pres Obama’s birth certificate? I got him to release it, or whatever it was, when nobody else could!"
i know his son died of cancer, which is why he should
know better than to make this promise. he promised that if he wins, we will cure cancer.

he knows how desperate people are in this situation, and he’s trying to exploit that to win an election.

i’m concerned about border security, and that's why i’m unhappy trump lied about building a wall. that’s not anywhere near the same thing, as telling desperate parents who have children battling cancer and fighting for their lives, that voting for him will cure their children. Not even close to the same.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:38 PM   #12
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
i know his son died of cancer, which is why he should
know better than to make this promise. he promised that if he wins, we will cure cancer.

he knows how desperate people are in this situation, and he’s trying to exploit that to win an election.

i’m concerned about border security, and that's why i’m unhappy trump lied about building a wall. that’s not anywhere near the same thing, as telling desperate parents who have children battling cancer and fighting for their lives, that voting for him will cure their children. Not even close to the same.
Pile on about a bad choice of words.
Perhaps you could quantify how many desperate people's votes, not just parents who have children battling cancer and fighting for their lives, this will get Biden, since you claim that is his objective. Keep in mind that he knows exactly how they feel.
More than 1.75 million people will be diagnosed and 600 thousand people will die this year from cancer and because of research, cancer deaths have decreased by 2% a year over the past decade.
If we doubled the amount spent per year from less than 5 billion a year, would it make a difference?
Probably important and more likely to effect a lot more people than the possibility of being killed by an illegal immigrant, but you're willing to spend much more for that.
And likely tomorrow Trump will say he's the only one who can cure cancer, because nobody knows cancer like Trump.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-12-2019, 01:54 PM   #13
Jim in CT

Quote:
Pile on about a bad choice of words.
Perhaps you could quantify how many desperate people's votes, not just parents who have children battling cancer and fighting for their lives, this will get Biden, since you claim that is his objective. Keep in mind that he knows exactly how they feel.
More than 1.75 million people will be diagnosed and 600 thousand people will die this year from cancer and because of research, cancer deaths have decreased by 2% a year over the past decade.
If we doubled the amount spent per year from less than 5 billion a year, would it make a difference?
Probably important and more likely to effect a lot more people than the possibility of being killed by an illegal immigrant, but you're willing to spend much more for that.
And likely tomorrow Trump will say he's the only one who can cure cancer, because nobody knows cancer like Trump.
"Pile on about a bad choice of words"

I believe you are the one piling on in this thread, I'm being more succinct.

"since you claim that is his objective"

Oh give me an effing break, what other possible objective could he have had? "Vote for me, and we'll have a cure for cancer". He's not saying that to get votes? At a campaign rally in Iowa?

If you're that irrational, we can stop. You can't criticize the left, can't compliment the right.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:32 PM   #14
PaulS

Quote:
If you're that irrational, we can stop. You can't criticize the left, can't compliment the right.
And your being irrational given we have a party who constantly ignores the Pres. 0000s of outright lies and focusing on what a candidate says.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:39 PM   #15
Jim in CT

Quote:
And your being irrational given we have a party who constantly ignores the Pres. 0000s of outright lies and focusing on what a candidate says.
What am I doing that's irrational, exactly? In this thread, I said Trump deserves criticism for failing to deliver on the wall, and I criticized Biden for this putrid exploitative statement. I'm one of the few here who don't support my party every single time, not even close. Pete is saying Biden wasn't trying to get votes when he said it? IF I'm elected, we'll cure cancer? The cure hinges on his winning the election, and that's not an attempt to get votes? You tell me, Paul, what his intent was, if not to get votes. I'm all ears...

When Al Gore promised that people with spinal injuries would walk again if he was elected, he was slammed. This is worse to me, because you're talking about people who are dying. Maybe I'm being too sensitive, but it sounds repulsive to me...
Old 06-12-2019, 02:47 PM   #16
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
"Pile on about a bad choice of words"

I believe you are the one piling on in this thread, I'm being more succinct.

"since you claim that is his objective"

Oh give me an effing break, what other possible objective could he have had? "Vote for me, and we'll have a cure for cancer". He's not saying that to get votes? At a campaign rally in Iowa?

Can't do it, can you?
Trump has done some things
First President to conceal his High School and College grades.
First President to defeat a female major party candidate in the Electoral College.
First President to be elected with the help of a foreign power.
First President to reach the age of 70 prior to his election to the presidency.
First golfing President to never play golf at a military course.
First President to assume the office without having had any prior public service experience, military or political.
First President to claim to be a stable genius.
First President to have an Orthodox Jewish Rabbi give a benediction at his inauguration.
First President to claim to be a billionaire prior to assuming office.
First President to have been divorced more than once.
First President to marry three times.
First President to call the Press the enemy of the people.
First President to have a Jewish member of his first family (Ivanka Trump).
First President to not have a pet.
First President to have children from three different wives.
First President to have a wife who posed nude.
First President to have a female campaign manager (Kellyanne Conway).
First President to spend more than 100 million to play golf.
First President to appoint an Indian-American to a Cabinet-level position (Nikki Haley).
First President to begin tenure with a net negative approval rating in the history of modern political polling.
First President to voice support for same-sex marriage before taking office.
First President to have a wife born in a Communist country.
First President to meet with a Supreme Leader of North Korea (Kim Jong-un) while in office.
First President to lie more times daily than most people wash their hands (12x vs 10x).
First President to meet with two emperors of Japan while in office, Emperor Akihito & Emperor Naruhito.

Last edited by Pete F.; 06-12-2019 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: add

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-12-2019, 02:56 PM   #17
PaulS

Quote:
What am I doing that's irrational, exactly? In this thread, I said Trump deserves criticism for failing to deliver on the wall, and I criticized Biden for this putrid exploitative statement. I'm one of the few here who don't support my party every single time, not even close. Pete is saying Biden wasn't trying to get votes when he said it? IF I'm elected, we'll cure cancer? The cure hinges on his winning the election, and that's not an attempt to get votes? You tell me, Paul, what his intent was, if not to get votes. I'm all ears...

When Al Gore promised that people with spinal injuries would walk again if he was elected, he was slammed. This is worse to me, because you're talking about people who are dying. Maybe I'm being too sensitive, but it sounds repulsive to me...
They both were stating goals - aspirations, hopes. Most people understand that he alone can't cure cancer and don't view the statement as lies. If Biden is elected and proposes a big increase in funding for cancer research most people will say that he tried. If he doesn't propose a big increase, people will rightly say he lied. That is what Trump did/does - say one thing and doesn't follow up, etc. - outright lies. That is the irrational part.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:12 PM   #18
Pete F.
Canceled

Actually what Trump does is says one thing, can't achieve it and then claims victory.
Then the Reality TV President, the Trumplicans and Jim say "Hooray for Trump".
In the era of Donald Trump, it is sometimes easy to forget that the purpose of government is governance, not entertainment.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-12-2019, 03:53 PM   #19
Jim in CT

Quote:
They both were stating goals - aspirations, hopes. .
If you believe he was stating a goal/aspiration/hope, that means you see no difference between these two sentences...

(1) it is my hope that we can cure cancer

(2) give me what I want, and I promise there will be a cure for cancer.

He used the words "I promise".

I promise you if I'm elected president, you're going to see the single most important thing that changes America, we're gonna cure cancer

He promised a cure for cancer, and the delivery of that cure is contingent upon whether or not he's elected.

"Can't do it, can you?"

Can't do what, criticize Trump? Can and have.

Can you say something positive about Trump, or critical of Biden's statement? Nope. So who is the partisan hack here?
Old 06-12-2019, 03:59 PM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
the Trumplicans and Jim say "Hooray for Trump".
In the era of Donald Trump, it is sometimes easy to forget that the purpose of government is governance, not entertainment.
" the Trumplicans and Jim say "Hooray for Trump".

I've called him a morally bankrupt scumbag, at least 50 times on these threads, and you know it. So you're lying.

"purpose of government is governance, not entertainment"

Agreed, and I hate the entertainment aspect of his presidency, I dislike it more than you do, because my disdain is genuine and not partisan.

I like much (not all) of his governance - I love the judges he's appointing (one of his most important duties), love the tax cuts, love the stock market, love the low unemployment especially for minorities, love the GDP growth, love the wage growth, love that he's adding more manufacturing jobs than Obama did in his last two years, love that Mexico is sending troops to its southern border. I don't like the deficits, I don't like that he didn't build a wall when the GOP controlled Congress.

I hate the outlandish things he says and does. I can criticize the guy on my side for being a jerk. You can't do the same.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:40 PM   #21
spence

Why is this thread?
Old 06-12-2019, 05:46 PM   #22
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Promising a cure is beyond stupid, promising to insure research is ramped up, would have been more appropriate.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:52 PM   #23
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
" the Trumplicans and Jim say "Hooray for Trump".

I've called him a morally bankrupt scumbag, at least 50 times on these threads, and you know it. So you're lying.

"purpose of government is governance, not entertainment"

Agreed, and I hate the entertainment aspect of his presidency, I dislike it more than you do, because my disdain is genuine and not partisan.

I like much (not all) of his governance - I love the judges he's appointing (one of his most important duties), love the tax cuts, love the stock market, love the low unemployment especially for minorities, love the GDP growth, love the wage growth, love that he's adding more manufacturing jobs than Obama did in his last two years, love that Mexico is sending troops to its southern border. I don't like the deficits, I don't like that he didn't build a wall when the GOP controlled Congress.

I hate the outlandish things he says and does. I can criticize the guy on my side for being a jerk. You can't do the same.
Actually what Trump does is says one thing, can't achieve it and then claims victory.
You’re still confused about what side I’m on.
We’ll pay the price for a long time for Trump’s destruction of the Republican Party.
Just now he’s said he’ll take aid from foreign powers again to get elected, he doesn’t have to tell the FBI.
Somehow it would be Ok if it came thru Norway and the FBI director is wrong in saying you need to report it.
Keep believing Jim, there’s no consequences for his actions because you think you got something.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-12-2019, 08:08 PM   #24
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Trump 2020, the president you all deserve.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:19 PM   #25
scottw

I wonder if Biden will promise to cure creepy old men groping women and little girls...if you want to be amused watch his interview on THE VIEW when he turns into a puddle before the dingbats
Old 06-12-2019, 08:56 PM   #26
scottw

Quote:
he wasn't talking about democrats
Old 06-12-2019, 08:58 PM   #27
scottw

Quote:

Most people understand that he alone can't cure cancer and don't view the statement as lies.
"I've worked so hard in my career, that I promise you, if I'm elected president you're gonna see single most important thing that changes America, we're gonna cure cancer," Biden said to applause.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:05 PM   #28
PaulS

If the Republicans believed in higher education they probably.understand what he meant.

For two years the Republicans have been saying that you shouldn't listen to Trump's words but rather what he means. Another instance of the Republican hypocrisy.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:09 PM   #29
scottw

Quote:
If the Republicans believed in higher education they probably.understand what he meant.

For two years the Republicans have been saying that you shouldn't listen to Trump's words but rather what he means. Another instance of the Republican hypocrisy.
republicans don't believe in higher education?
Old 06-12-2019, 10:12 PM   #30
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Why is this thread?
PeteF is attempting to be a stable genius again.
Just a guy with nothing to do,and all day to do it.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN