Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-18-2019, 02:50 PM   #31
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Not sure the economy would have crashed and burned if Hillary had beaten Trump. I'm not in agreement on Trump's policies in numerous arenas, so no I'm not buying he's the savor of the economy or that he is any better when it comes to foreign policies, trade or agreements with allies and foes; long list IMHO. I think his deregulation across the board is going to be bad for the environment long term and I don't believe we should have withdrawn from the Paris accord. I don't see his trade war being the answer, not saying we don't have a balance issue. I think he has made a "problem" at the southern boarder into a real nightmare and the policies are actually killing people and committing child abuse on a massive scale. I think his kissing arse with Putin time and time again, not to mention the 2016 election issues, is a disgrace. In fact pick a foreign strong man/dictator he hasn't cozied up to, while treating our long term allies like crap, really must I go on? You are looking at Trump administration thru rose colored glasses.

Hey how about the fact our president actually can't stop lying ever, I'd like to know there is someone in the white house that I can actually trust that what is coming out of his mouth is 90% true. Please I'm waiting for hey they all do it come back, but Trump's lying is on an epic scale compared to ALL other presidents.
i don’t recall anyone saying the economy would crash and burn under Hilary. What we know, is that it’s roaring under Trump. We also know Paul Krugman said Trump would cause a trash, and he’s still paid to go on MSNBC.

didntbsay he’s better when
it comes to foreign policies. You are the one who posted a link saying our standing in the world
has diminished. I see
zero evidence of that.

you’re saying trumps immigration policies are causing murder and child abuse at the border. People
weren’t getting killed
and abused before trump? the open border doesn’t create the atmosphere for women to get raped
in huge numbers as they cross? Giving preferential treatment to families doesn’t encourage the use of “fake” children to make the crossing with adults who aren’t their parents?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 06-18-2019, 02:55 PM   #32
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

You don't "see" evidence of it, but I'd be surprised, no shocked if the leaders of our allies don't see Trump for the fool he is. They may actually I'm afraid, be somewhat concerned about the really good people (foreign policy and defense) Trump has forced out that offered some stability behind the scenes

The flip side of course is his standing in the eyes of our enemies and long time foes has experienced a rise in approval, they too see him as the fool he is and will (have) play him like a fiddle.

Clean those glasses, they are clouding your vision.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:56 PM   #33
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
There is no comparison between Trump and any other politician, thankfully. It is necessary that our President be a man with some ethics. A little empathy is also helpful. What is not acceptable is an ignorant buffoon who's word is not good. Some will say he has kept his campaign promises but that is largely limited to those that could be accomplished without the cooperation of others by executive order. He has had minimal legislative success, but is attempting end runs around Congress to make up for his lack of negotiating skill.

The least problematic part is the lack of originality of Donald Trump’s words. During his presidency, Trump has uttered no beautiful and memorable phrases. His inaugural address, is remembered, for the phrase American carnage and Trump’s description of a dystopian nation, broken and shattered. More problematic is that many of Trump’s utterances are babble. If you read the transcript of many of his interviews and off the cuff speeches, you find that Trump is not only unable to often lay out a coherent argument; at times he’s unable to string together sentences that make sense.

When it comes to dealing with those who oppose him, he consistently uses words to demean, belittle, bully, or dehumanize. He has mocked former prisoners of war, the disabled, and the appearance of women. He has attacked Gold Star parents and widows. And he has engaged in racially tinged attacks. The number of his targets is inexhaustible because Trump’s brutishness is inexhaustible.

Many other presidents have been viewed as divisive, but Trump provokes for it's own sake; delighting in turning Americans against one another in order to turn them against one another. He seems to think he gains a political advantage in dividing us.

Trump’s words are bad enough, but the greatest cause for concern is his nonstop, dawn-to-midnight assault on facts, truth, reality. That places Trump in a category all his own.

Many politicians are guilty of not telling the full truth of events. But only very few—and only the most dangerous—are committed to destroying the very idea of truth itself by using the big lie. We saw it Day One of the Trump presidency, when he insisted—and sent out his press secretary to insist—that the crowd size at his inauguration was larger than that of Barack Obama’s, despite photographic evidence to the contrary. And that behavior has continued almost every day since.

He lies at will. He lies all the time. He lies on purpose. He lies as a way of life. He lies about things big & small. He lies with impunity. He lies with the direct intent to distract, fool, and deceive his supporters.

In a speech to the Veterans of Foreign Wars, Trump said, “And just remember: What you’re seeing and what you’re reading is not what’s happening.” In other words, who are you going to believe—me or your lyin’ eyes?
no beautiful or memorable phrases? who gives a sh*t? you’d rather have a poet who can’t lead effectively?

you crack me up.

what were Hilary’s most eloquent, memorable quotable statements from her campaign? when she pretended to be black that time when she was speaking to blacks ( i ain’t no ways tired, or whatever the hell she said...). or the deplorables statement describing half the country?
Old 06-18-2019, 02:58 PM   #34
Jim in CT

Quote:
You don't "see" evidence of it, but I'd be surprised, no shocked if the leaders of our allies don't see Trump for the fool he is. They may actually I'm afraid, be somewhat concerned about the really good people (foreign policy and defense) Trump has forced out that offered some stability behind the scenes

The flip side of course is his standing in the eyes of our enemies and long time foes has experienced a rise in approval, they too see him as the fool he is and will (have) play him like a fiddle.

Clean those glasses, they are clouding your vision.
i’m not denying they see Trumps faults. i’m asking for evidence, that their low opinion of Trump, is having a negative effect on the country?

my vision is fine, i see what’s happening and react to it. i’m not fabricating adverse developments because i don’t like the current potus. you’re acting like we got uninvited from the olympics.

Play him like a fiddle? You mean like Hilary did, like the DNC did? Wow.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:24 PM   #35
Jim in CT

Quote:
When it comes to dealing with those who oppose him, he consistently uses words to demean
Obama: Republicans gotta stop just hatin' all the time.

Hilary: republicans are racist, homophobic, sexist, basket of deplorables.

Biden (addressing blacks): Republicans want to put y'all back in chains. ( note the use of the word y'all, when addressing blacks. I guess Biden thought they wouldn't have comprehended if he used more elegant language)

You have zip to say about these statements, but lots to say when Trump is mean to those with whom he disagrees.

Republican=bad, democrat=good, no exceptions. We get it.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 06-18-2019 at 03:30 PM..
Old 06-18-2019, 03:27 PM   #36
Jim in CT

Quote:
In a speech to the Veterans of Foreign Wars, Trump said, “And just remember: What you’re seeing and what you’re reading is not what’s happening.”
He has no point? CNN didn't say that he personally told Cohen to lie to Congress (debunked)?

CNN and MSNBC didn't promise indictments on collusion for two years?

Look at the way the media portrays everything that's political. Ask that Sandman kid from Kentucky, they made him out to be James Earl Ray. Sean Hannity, on the other side, is a compulsive liar. You don't think their cumulative credibility is right around zero?
Old 06-18-2019, 09:59 PM   #37
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I'm not applying different standards but 5?, 6? pages for Biden's comments is crazy when you have Pres. Trump saying vile things on a daily basis. I'm willing to cut anyone some slack a few times but Trump is so bad people ignore comments that would be headlines on the news for any other Pres. And when people do discuss them, what is the reaction from the right - they call them snowflakes.
You make some good points here but it is not so simple to earn the badge of snowflake. See PeteF and his routine filibuster to grasp a true and dedicated #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&. Spence used to chase the title but the Donald wore him out. Wayne simply chases his own tail while blowing a rape whistle.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 06-19-2019, 02:53 AM   #38
Pete F.
Canceled

When you realize that we now have the latest President with a pen and a phone, and he’s more divisive and dishonest than the last one, it might be too late.
I’ll continue to tell you the Emperor has no clothes, while you see him claiming that he’s clad in gold.
Idiocracy was on the road last night, showing in Orlando.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:55 AM   #39
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
He has no point? CNN didn't say that he personally told Cohen to lie to Congress (debunked)?

CNN and MSNBC didn't promise indictments on collusion for two years?

Look at the way the media portrays everything that's political. Ask that Sandman kid from Kentucky, they made him out to be James Earl Ray. Sean Hannity, on the other side, is a compulsive liar. You don't think their cumulative credibility is right around zero?
Read the Mueller report

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-19-2019, 04:51 AM   #40
Sea Dangles

He is leading us towards greatness
Old 06-19-2019, 05:31 AM   #41
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

How about looking at all the good people he has forced out, or they just couldn’t continue to work for this crazy short tempered thin skinned reactionary nut job, or let’s look at all the very important cabinet post vacant because he can’t do his job or get good people to stay?
Old 06-19-2019, 05:32 AM   #42
Sea Dangles

How about it, woopie
Old 06-19-2019, 05:51 AM   #43
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Ok dangles you don’t want to look there, how about the list of passed bills Mitch has just sat on because the GOP leader will do nothing but kiss Trumps butt. I’d need an hour to even list them all here, Trump and is band of brother are NOT governing.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:55 AM   #44
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Thankfully cut and paste saves time.

Health care
HR 259 — Medicaid Extenders Act of 2019
House Resolution 271 — Condemning the Trump Administration’s Legal Campaign to Take Away Americans’ Health Care
HR 986 — Protecting Americans with Preexisting Conditions Act of 2019
HR 987 — Strengthening Health Care and Lowering Prescription Drug Costs Act
HR 1520, the Purple Book Continuity Act (bill aimed at lowering the cost of prescription drugs)
HR 1503, the Orange Book Transparency Act of 2019 (bill aimed at lowering the cost of prescription drugs)
Civil rights
HR 1 — For the People Act of 2019
HR 5 — Equality Act
HR 7 — Paycheck Fairness Act
HR 124 — Expressing opposition to banning service in the Armed Forces by openly transgender individuals
Gun control
HR 8 — Bipartisan Background Checks Act of 2019
HR 1112 — Enhanced Background Checks Act of 2019
Environment
HR 9 — Climate Action Now Act
HR 1331 — Local Water Protection Act
S 47 — National Resources Management Act
HR 2578 — National Flood Insurance Program Extension Act of 2019
Military/foreign affairs
HR 840 — Veterans’ Access to Child Care Act
HJ Res. 37 — Directing the removal of United States Armed Forces from hostilities in the Republic of Yemen that have not been authorized by Congress
SJ Res. 7 — To direct the removal of United States Armed Forces from hostilities in the Republic of Yemen that have not been authorized by Congress
HR 31 — Caesar Syria Civilian Protection Act of 2019
HJ Res. 30 — Disapproving the President’s proposal to take an action relating to the application of certain sanctions with respect to the Russian Federation
Mueller report
H.Con.Res. 24 — Expressing the sense of Congress that the report of Special Counsel Mueller should be made available to the public and to Congress.
Other legislation
HR 1585 — Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2019
HR 1500 — Consumers First Act
HR 1994 — SECURE Act
HR 1644 — Save the Internet Act of 2019
HR 2157 — Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2019
HR 269 — Pandemic and All-Hazards Preparedness and Advancing Innovation Act of 2019
HR 251 — Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards Program Extension Act
S 24 — Government Employee Fair Treatment Act of 2019
HR 430 — TANF Extension Act of 2019
Concurring in the Senate Amendments to HR 251 — Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standard Program Extension Act
HR 790 — Federal Civilian Workforce Pay Raise Fairness Act of 2019
HJ Res. 46 — Relating to a national emergency declared by the President on February 15, 2019
H Res. 183 — Condemning anti-Semitism as hateful expressions of intolerance that are contradictory to the values and aspirations that define the people of the United States and condemning anti-Muslim discrimination and bigotry against minorities as hateful expressions of intolerance that are contrary to the values and aspirations of the United States, as amended
H Res. 194 — Rule Providing for Consideration of H.R. 1644 and H.R. 2021
HR 2480 — Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act
HR 375 — To amend the Indian Reorganization Act of 1934 to reaffirm the authority of the Secretary of the Interior to take land into trust for Indian Tribes (also known as the “Carcieri Fix”)
Votes to end the government shutdown
HR 21 — Making appropriations for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2019, and for other purposes
HJ Res. 1 — Making further continuing appropriations for the Department of Homeland Security for fiscal year 2019, and for other purposes
HR 265 — Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2019
HR 267 — Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2019
HR 266 — Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2019
HR 268 — Disaster Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2019 (Disaster Supplemental and short-term continuing resolution through Feb. 8)
HR 264 — Financial Services and General Government Appropriations Act
HJ Res. 28 — Further Additional Continuing Appropriations Act, 2019 (Short-term continuing resolution through Feb. 28)
HR 648 — Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2019 (Six conferenced bills minibus)
HJ Res. 31 — Making further continuing appropriations for the Department of Homeland Security for fiscal year 2019 (Short-term homeland continuing resolution through Feb. 28)
Conference Report to Accompany HJ Res 31 – Making consolidated appropriations for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2019, and for other purposes
Old 06-19-2019, 06:07 AM   #45
Jim in CT

Quote:
How about looking at all the good people he has forced out, or they just couldn’t continue to work for this crazy short tempered thin skinned reactionary nut job, or let’s look at all the very important cabinet post vacant because he can’t do his job or get good people to stay?
i’ve never heard anyone say he's a nice guy who is easy and pleasant to be around. That doesn’t mean his policies aren’t working. You made a strong statement that our standing in the world has taken a hit because of trump, i asked for evidence, there isn’t any.

i work at a very large company. in my experience, the people who run such companies are usually mean pr*cks. And i do not care. I care whether or not they can help the company.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:07 AM   #46
scottw

Quote:
too bad we can't get that kind of turn over in the rest of the government
Old 06-19-2019, 06:12 AM   #47
scottw

Quote:
Thankfully cut and paste saves time.

most of that is nonsense anyway
Old 06-19-2019, 06:22 AM   #48
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Love Trumps platform for 2020, more of the same, running on hate, fear, us against the evil dems; no mention of anything of substance.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:26 AM   #49
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
too bad we can't get that kind of turn over in the rest of the government
Won’t argue with that one, term limits would correct much of this BS, but considering who would have to change that, my life will be spent long before that ever happens.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:26 AM   #50
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Love Trumps platform for 2020, more of the same, running on hate, fear, us against the evil dems; no mention of anything of substance.
and yet the entire democratic theme for the Mid-terms was "We need to impeach Trump"

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 06-19-2019, 06:29 AM   #51
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
and yet the entire democratic theme for the Mid-terms was "We need to impeach Trump"
Apparently you haven’t listened to a single dem candidate, because unlike Trump, the majority are running on substance and policy. I like many believe it’s time to begin an impeachment herring to stop the stonewalling by the executive branch, but that isn’t their platform. Biden is the exception, he seems to be running as the guy how can beat Trump and he isn’t wrong, but others could too.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:36 AM   #52
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Apparently you haven’t listened to a single dem candidate, because unlike Trump, the majority are running on substance and policy. I like many believe it’s time to begin an impeachment herring to stop the stonewalling by the executive branch, but that isn’t their platform. Biden is the exception, he seems to be running as the guy how can beat Trump and he isn’t wrong, but others could too.
I'm listening, but I specified the Mid term elections in 2018.

you know, the rocket scientists who said 'We're gonna impeach this Mudda Fukka"

Old 06-19-2019, 06:42 AM   #53
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
I'm listening, but I specified the Mid term elections in 2018.

you know, the rocket scientists who said 'We're gonna impeach this Mudda Fukka"
I was talking about a Trump’s 2020 platform and your living in the past, hit the fast forward button and catch up.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:51 AM   #54
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
I was talking about a Trump’s 2020 platform and your living in the past, hit the fast forward button and catch up.
Just curious if you were this upset last year with all that hateful speech. You must have had some kind of epiphany between then and now if you're so offended by it.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:20 AM   #55
scottw

Quote:

I like many believe it’s time to begin an impeachment herring

red?
Old 06-19-2019, 07:34 AM   #56
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
no beautiful or memorable phrases? who gives a sh*t? you’d rather have a poet who can’t lead effectively?

you crack me up.

what were Hilary’s most eloquent, memorable quotable statements from her campaign? when she pretended to be black that time when she was speaking to blacks ( i ain’t no ways tired, or whatever the hell she said...). or the deplorables statement describing half the country?
Still stuck in 2016, I see.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-19-2019, 08:07 AM   #57
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
red?
Pickled

Old 06-19-2019, 08:21 AM   #58
Jim in CT

Quote:
so nothing that happened before trump, matters? if you didn’t care that obama did something but go berserk when trump does the same thing, it’s not legitimate to point that out? it’s not valid o question the glaring double standard?

Who announced that all pre-existing rules and standards were thrown out the window, on the day Trump took office? I missed that announcement I guess.

Where are the concentration camps where millions of illegals are being slaughtered? I can’t find any stories about them, but it must be true, right? AOC said he set up concentration camps, and i haven’t seen anyone except foxnews say she’s lying. and you can’t trust foxnews, right? So where are these death camps? or was AOC lying, and the mainstream
media refuses to say so? Which is it?
Old 06-19-2019, 08:47 AM   #59
Jim in CT

Quote:
so things that were totally acceptable for all previous presidents to do, are not acceptable for trump to do. that’s what you’re saying...different standards for Trump. nice to see one of you admit it.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:50 AM   #60
spence

Quote:
Just curious if you were this upset last year with all that hateful speech. You must have had some kind of epiphany between then and now if you're so offended by it.
Nah, that's not hate...

This is hate.