Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
trevier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Getting back to the original point...

Yesterday, in Detroit, a judge ruled that the city can proceed with bankruptcy, leaving open the likelihood that pensions will be cut. The unions are appealing. I want to ask these union jerks, WHAT IS THE ALTERNATIVE? Not enough money exists to satisfy the pensions. Should Detroit be given a printing press so they can print their own currency? What is the friggin alternative, when there is no money left? Do the unions want to tax the remaining residents at 95%?

Then, in Illinois of all places, the liberal legislature yesterday passed a bill that would make serious cuts to pensions.

It's the beginning of the end. In the vast majority of states (certainly in Connecticut), no public employee who is a Baby Boomer or younger is going to get the pension they are expecting.

It's this simple...you cannot have more than there is. I don't know from where this greed comes from that these union members exhibit, bit I have never seen anything like it. It turns out, you can't deduct 2% of your paycheck, and have that turn into a $45,000 pension for life at age 55. The math doesn't work. The math doesn't even come close to working.
good, screw him. My mom is a retired teacher who had to work 35 years before she was able to retire, this retiring after 20 years of work with 80% pay and able to save up all of your sick time,vaca time etc in able to pad your pension is BS.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevier View Post
good, screw him. My mom is a retired teacher who had to work 35 years before she was able to retire, this retiring after 20 years of work with 80% pay and able to save up all of your sick time,vaca time etc in able to pad your pension is BS.
No one relishes the idea of a public servent seeing benefits cut when it's too late in their careers to adjust for that. That being said, I don't see an alternative. Nor do I buy that the union meployees are completely innocent in this, because for dsecades, they have demonized politicians who spoke the truth, and elected politicians based on the promise that the impossible benefits wouled continue. These people have been warned for 35 years that this was coming, but trhey didn't want to hear it.