Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 07-08-2008, 05:58 AM   #1
Cranium

Three legged Fisher Cat...

Attacked a skunk under my porch. So we were watching the Red Sox last night about 8pm. Thru the windows came the unmistakable odor of Mr. Pepe Lapeu. So I get up and look out the door thinking that he was just passing by and it will clear up in a minute. But it got stronger and stronger. I have not smelt it that strong since my dog got sprayed when I was a kid. You know, acid smell, burning eyes.... Closed all the windows and shut the garage door. Went back to the bay window were I can see the steps to the porch, there is a two steps from the ground up to the wooden porch, there is a six inch opening from the ground to porch. As I am walking a medium size fisher cat walks over the big rock, down the stairs and into the opening. At that point (as well as right now) all I can think of is a battle royal going on under my porch leaving a dead skunk and a wounded fisher cat for me to play with.

When I first saw him, I did not notice his leg. Did not bother him a bit, moved quick and looked like he was determined to have skunk for dinner. Later when I was bringing my son up to bed. I looked out and saw him/her (I dont know how to sex a fisher cat: males have bigger tails?) standing on my porch. His back right leg was cut off at the crook. Completely healed and furred over. Pretty animal, all black, slender, big teeth for its size. Did not have time to grab the camera. He saw me, looked at me no fear at all and went back to his task of killin him a skunk. As an aside, that skunk had a pretty exciting day. I saw him at 2.15 am yesterday when I was leaving for the canal. Almost saw him too late, as he ran across my drive way straight for my goodyears. He made it home that time.

Went out this am, smell is all but gone, no carcasses laying around. Figure I will call animal control for a have a heart trap. As my wife, does not me sitting in my sons window with the 12 ga. Plus he has been thru too much for me to put a charge of #6 in his ass. Need to get him out of here just incase he is sick. If I catch him I will post pics. Pretty animal tho, first time I have seen one so close. Anyone else seen these guys?
Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:12 AM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Got a pair living behind me house too!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:29 AM   #3
Raven

Arrow can't stand skunks

imo their benefit is grossly exaggerated....
so kudos to the fisher cat
who probably got caught in a trap and was
forced to chew off the leg.

but i do have to question why it's right up
on your porch with zero fear
of man and the implications of that.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:55 AM   #4
Cranium

Raven, how are you man? Hope you are well. Yup, that is why I want it gone. No fear in an animal like that is not good. I think I will bring it over to Larry's house and have fisher cat fights, need to call Michael Vick for some training ideas.
Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:04 AM   #5
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranium View Post
I think I will bring it over to Larry's house and have fisher cat fights, need to call Michael Vick for some training ideas.
that sounds very thrilling
Charlie Moore can host it just so we can hear him squeal.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote