Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 06-23-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
Flaptail

Talking My Sunday afternoon adventure in the Brockton Wal-Mart

Ooh Boy! I had to go up to Cambridge to help my daughter outfit and clean up her apartment. She needed shades and cutlery etc, so after measuring for the shades and cleaning the palce we decided to make a run down to IKEA and then over to the Brocton Wal-Mart for the shades.

I kea was great, lots of eye candy to keep a Dad occupieed while she shopped for utensils and such.

We go over to Wal-mart and the fun starts almost immediatly. A group of young men are walking through the parking lot checking door security, I guess, on vehicles parked in the lot ( probably left a note for those found open about the need to lock up, The Brockton PD show and they scoot. Then we walk in and as soon as we enter the little horn starts going off as a warning that some one is trying to leave with an un-paid item(s). As the manager is asking about the four cordless phone sets on the bottom rack of the carriage the young man ( who looked like he might have been related to the security check team in the parking lot) says to her "oh I forgot about those." And she says "we'll come right back in and I will ring them up for you" to which he answers, "no, I don't really want them now and bolts out the door.

Mean while, in the 12 items or less aisle me and daughter number 1 are waiting behind to other gentlemen ( who also starngely look like they could be related to the parking lot car door security check team members) have a big max cold cooler , a beach ball and a black rug they want to pay for. Problem 1, the rug is not marked right and the girl behind the counter, ( whio could be their sista) says, whoa, this rug's price has been changed, does a price check and sure enough, somebaody changed the rug from 34 dollars to 2.99 amazing, who would do such a thing? So they say alright forget the rug just check us out on the cooler and beachball. So she scans the ball then the cooler and one of these fine gentleman says can you hurry up woman we got a party (pronounced "pa-teh) to go to, where upon she says, "Oh, and would youm mind opening the cooler"? to which one answers, "ain't nuthin in it" while his bro beats feet out of the store kinds quickly like and the clerk opens it up and it's stuffed with radios, watches etc and the other just takes off to catch up with his friend.

Guess he forgot about the stuff inside, oh well everyone makes mistakes don't you think?

What a place. I thought it was hype on the tv but nope, Brockton's for real. OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
eastendlu

Originally Posted by Flaptail
"Throw plugs like we do that will cause them to suffer humility. Pogies make any fisherman look good when bass are around. Bait is easy."
eastendlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

I admire your courage going shopping in Brockton. I don't care if your as tall as Bigfish or not, that take b#$%s.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #4
fishbones

I'm curious as to why you would go from IKEA in Stoughton further south to Wal Mart rather than head back towards Boston? You could have had the same experience at the K-Mart at South Bay in Dorchester and saved a little time and gas.
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:14 PM   #5
FishermanTim

Plus you get to run through the obstacle courses set up in almost EVERY aisle. I would head to the Kmart in Somerville, near the Assembly Square Mall. It's quite an experience going from the South Bay mall to this one. My forst comment was "Oh my gawd, where is the clutter in the aisles?"

As for Walmart, it's a crap shoot no matter where you go.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:38 PM   #6
Flaptail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl F View Post
the city of Champions.......

Flap... you could have gone home, and hit K-Fart in Hyannis.... AKA "Brockton by the Sea"......

Had to go back to Cambridge after to drop her off so........

Why even try.........
Old 06-23-2008, 01:05 PM   #7
Gloucester2

Tagger ain't gonna like this
Gloucester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:00 AM   #8
Saltheart

I parked at the Emerald Mall to go into sears for a box wrench. On my way in I see a kid trying all the car doors. So inside I tell the clerk and he calls security. By this time the guy is gone. Who knows if he stole a car or just walked off after seeing me eyeballing him. hard to believe this stuff is so prevalent near me. Hell , I rememeber growing up in Central Falls when we could leave the house without locking the door. Now , I even lock my door while Im inside my house. Why are we going down hill so quickly?

I asked around and I guess there are lots of stolen car problems at all the malls now. One time someone tried to steal a car from my next door neighbors daughter. Unfortunately for them , she was attending a law enforcement college somehwere and he was Chief of Police. She got on the phone and in seconds half the police from all the neighboring towns had these guys cornered in the woods behind the mall. Good to hear a happy ending sometimes!

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:24 AM   #9
Nebe

I love south county
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:01 AM   #10
saltfly

flap your a sick pup.you drove past Braintree.
saltfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:47 PM   #11
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Brockton is a city,,, Has all the services of a big city . My 2 boys are native Brocktonions.. Brockton High graduates.. Troop 5 Brockton Eagle Scouts.. Robert Bethony Uechi Ryu black belts . 13 yrs. training, tournaments and do 6 weapons. When the Uechi family came to the USA from Okinawa ,they could have gone anywhere but they went to the Brockton dojo to see the best . Going through all these programs including baseball I've met countless hard working, honarable,down to earth people.. I personaly have met probably 1000 kids much like my own .. True Brockton has a Rep.. I remember the troop went to Mass Jam in Barnstable years back,, Probably 16 Councils there,,countless troops.. 2--3 thousand kids . When someone stole a live flare gun from a Coast Guard display, where do you think they went and demand a troop be searched without any merrit .. You guessed it .. Was it found there ,, No ... Or when the Troop went camping at Shawme Crowell and the Ranger was in the kids face screaming at them about all the noise last night and if he found out it was them ,, they were all out of there.. He found out that a group of drunks was responsible for all the racket .. Think he came back and apoligized to the kids.??? could go on and on .. After a while the kids knew wich end of the stick they'd be handed.. Mayhem ,, murder, rape , robbing speaks louder than all the really good stuff .. Flap .. I invite you to Brockton High,, to see a musical play or a band concert.. You won't believe your eyes and ears..Any sports event .. Those are the kids I want you to see and they shine very bright.. I'll even buy you dinner .. bring Numby.. somewhere nice .. or just hang out in the "Republic of Cambridge"with all the normal people .. Brockton ,,, "City of Champions "

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:54 PM   #12
Flaptail

Smile

No thanks Eddy, I saw enough to keep me out of that town and your defense of it is admirable and I am sure that there are some really good and outstanding people there and sections of town but even Roxbury and Dorchester have people and places like that but I stay out of there too.

It was high on the entertainment score though!

BTW, I think Cambridge sucks big time too.

Why even try.........
Old 06-24-2008, 06:39 PM   #13
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaptail View Post
No thanks Eddy,
Peyton Place ...

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:43 PM   #14
Flaptail

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl F View Post
And this from a man that lives in Falmouth... New Bedford East

or is your area Teaticket???.. too many villages over there for me to keep track of...

just about all towns on the Cape have their areas of... well... we all know what i mean... all things seek their own level I guess...
East Falmouth, and it's been pretty quiet since Melvin Reine got put away for being a homicidal psychopath and the Golden Sails Restaurant hasn't been shot up in over two years now! Boring as hell.

Why even try.........
Old 06-25-2008, 03:06 PM   #15
bbrooks9933

Awesome
if you want a little taste of that, my Walmart in Quincy sucks too. 85 registers yet only 2 people working them. Only place I go to where there is a 50/50 chance of me leaving my sh*t on the floor and leaving after waiting in line for a half hour. All I want half the time is like fishing line or a lure or something. Because its cheap is why I end up going back. anyways thats my rant
bbrooks9933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:32 PM   #16
Cranium

Tagger, I agree. My family is from and still lives in Brockton. There are bad people everywhere. Brockton just has a higher percentage. There are some great places and people.
Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:47 PM   #17
EarnedStripes44

c'mon guys, Cambridge isnt that bad. Its the only place were the homeless are "organized". And besides, we produce the best basketball players in the state.
EarnedStripes44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:51 PM   #18
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I grew up in Lynn......So I got nothin to say

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:30 PM   #19
Gloucester2

Don't say I didn't warn ya
Gloucester2 is offline   Reply With Quote